• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Printing PDFs

Nessin

First Post
Got a bit of a problem here, I'm attempting to print out a few PDFs but whenever I send them to the printer, it takes several minutes just for the file to transfer and my printer will only print out a single page every 15-20 seconds.

What really confuses me is that if I take a 500 some odd page tech manual from hell (in word format) I can print it it just fine, no problems. But if I take a 23 page PDF file I get the problem mentioned above. Anyone know what might be causing the problem?

(Just a few quick notes, I've tried several different printers, all printers I can use are networked, and I've printed out images just fine so I know that's not the problem)

LathanM

First Post
PDF files spool to most printers as images sothey take up large amounts of memory. This i the biggest weakness of the pdf format. You can get arround the problem by printing the file in sections or adding addtional memory to the printer.

Andre

First Post
LathanM said:
PDF files spool to most printers as images sothey take up large amounts of memory. This i the biggest weakness of the pdf format. You can get arround the problem by printing the file in sections or adding addtional memory to the printer.

Agree with the above. Another consideration is the software used by the printer, specifically if it is a digital copier using a fiery print server. Not all print servers are created equal - I tested a very good Canon digital copier and found it bogged down on 30 page pdf files. I tested a Toshiba with essentially the same copier features, but a better fiery, and it handled 500 page pdf's. Unfortunately, too many companies don't think to test these things before leasing their copiers. :\

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads