EN World Privacy Controls: Two-Way Blocking

Status
Not open for further replies.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
We now have the ability for mutual blocking (again!) -- if you ignore somebody, you are also (optionally) able to block them from seeing your content.

That said, there is one exception. If you start a thread, your initial post is not ignored. This allows people to block each other but doesn't give them the ability to kick them out of threads in which they may be engaged in conversation with other people (plus also the people I block can still read the news page).

You will find controls for the ignore system in your account settings:

The two important options are shown here:

Screen Shot 2021-02-15 at 5.33.04 PM.png

Note that this function may not work with third-party apps such as Tapatalk (which the EN World app is).

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
Sweet. How does it interact with mod posts? Are they also excepted from ignore functionality, so if someone has you “blocked”, can they also see when you tell someone to stop doing a thing, or whatever?

Snarf Zagyg

Notorious Liquefactionist
Good utilization.

Since I just had to use the feature, I did some exploring and this is what I have noticed-

1. If you block (ignore) someone, you no longer can see if they have "reacted" to someone's post. You no longer see them at all.

2. If you have blocked someone, and they are the last person to post in a thread, they show up as "Ignored Member" on the thread list if they are the last person to post on the thread. (For example, the "Community" view).

3. However, if someone has blocked you, they show up as their actual name if they are the last person to post on the thread. (For example, the "Community" view). Clicking on the name does not take you to the comment, but just to the first page of the thread.

Overall, excellent implementation. :)

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Sweet. How does it interact with mod posts? Are they also excepted from ignore functionality, so if someone has you “blocked”, can they also see when you tell someone to stop doing a thing, or whatever?

So, I have a test account - it sees an ignore button for you, and Snarf, but not for Morrus or myself. Thus - most users cannot Ignore moderators.

It looks like, technically, mods can ignore other users, but we don't.

TheSword

Legend
This makes some threads incoherent, as responses frpm other posters appear to not reference anything at all. It's also removed quoted bits from my previous posts, making those seem incoherent.
Surely if you’ve blocked someone, you don’t care what they have to say. And why on earth would you want to refer to a blocked persons previous posts?

Hriston

Dungeon Master of Middle-earth
Surely if you’ve blocked someone, you don’t care what they have to say. And why on earth would you want to refer to a blocked persons previous posts?
I think the observation pertains more to the situation that the quoted person has blocked you.

Ovinomancer

No flips for you!
No, if you are blocked, it removes all quoted text from the blocker, even in your previous posts.

If I ignore someone, I'm more than happy to leave it at not seeing what they say. This edits posts and makes discussion hard to follow if tge blocker is involved. I do not understand why I must deal with a garbled discussion based on a unilateral choice of someone else. I'd be perfectly happy if I couldn't see their posts, but excising quotes is turning some parts of some threads into gibberish.

Edit: change a could into the intended couldn't.

Last edited:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads