Probability Control Power

Keia

I aim to misbehave
This power has not been released yet except in one source. It was created by Steve Kenson for that and the Menace Manual (coming soon). Please respect that and buy these products!!

Anyway since it's necessary for my character - I kind of need it to see the light of day so my character can. Overall I think it's a bit weak for a 4/rank, but it is what it is.

PROBABILITY CONTROL
Effect: Alteration
Action: Free
Range: Personal
Duration: Instant
Cost: 4 points per rank

You have some control over the otherwise random whims of chance. Each round you can make your Probability Control rank the minimum result of any one die roll you make. If the die comes up with a lower result, use your power rank instead. So if you have Probability Control 12 you can choose a die roll and be ensured a minimum result of 12 on the die, treating any roll of less than a 12 as a 12. A 20 on the die roll acquired through Probability Control is not considered a “natural 20.”

At rank 1 Probability Control only ensures that a natural 1 on an attack roll is not an automatic miss, if the total attack roll would still hit the target’s Defense. Higher ranks increasingly ensure reliably good outcomes (or at least a degree of immunity to poor ones) while the highest ranks ensure the character can regularly accomplish amazing things.

Probability Control’s maximum rank is the campaign’s power level or 20 (whichever is less). At the Gamemaster’s discretion, you can split your Probability Control among multiple die rolls in the same round, having a lesser effect. So, for example, you could split Probability Control 12 into two minimum die rolls of 6,or any other combination adding up to 12. In this case, the GM may wish to allow Probability Control ranks greater than 20, but with no more than 20 ranks assigned to any particular die roll in a round.

Extras
• Fortune (+1): You can grant the benefits of your Probability Control to someone else by touch.
• Jinx (+1): You can affect someone else with bad luck by touch (requiring a successful melee attack roll for an unwilling subject). The target gets a Will saving throw to avoid the effect. If it fails, on one of the subject’s die rolls for the next round (chosen by you), a roll equal to or less than your Probability Control rank is treated as a 1.
• Range (+1): You can use Fortune and/or Jinx at normal range as a +1 extra. For a +2 extra, you can use either at perception range. You must have the Fortune or Jinx extra(s) to benefit from this extra.

Flaws
• Limited (–1): You can only use the Fortune or Jinx ability of Probability Control; the power doesn’t benefit you. You must have the appropriate extra (Fortune or Jinx) to take this flaw.

Bront

The man with the probe
Actualy, I think it's fairly balanced. at 20 points, with a +5 tradeoff in Attack, you can garuntee you hit anyone with no tradeoff or a - tradeoff in defense. For 4 points, it means you can avoid an automatic failure.

Notes - How would we rule spliting it up durring a round to multiple rolls? Does it have to be declaired before the roll or can you use it afterwards?

Rybaer

First Post
I have to agree with Keia in that this seems kinda weak. Not so much in the cost of the power, but in what it actually does. Sure, if you make a trade-off and max out your attack score you'll be able to automatically hit...but that tends to run counter to the character concept this power would typically be given to - someone who's lucky, not good.

As written, the power in no way helps the user accomplish those crazy, improbably difficult actions where high rolls are required. This is even more true at low to mid power level games where making sure you roll at least an 8 or 10 often won't result in a success. Instead, it just helps keep you from screwing up the easy things.

Granted, creating a good version of Probability Control/Luck is difficult to do in a way that isn't ripe for abuse. This version, unfortunately, is quite disappointing. At least in my humble opinion.

Last edited:

Dirigible

Explorer
For a PL 10 or less game (heck, for anything less than about PL 15) this isn't a probability control power - it's probability protection.

Also, I think it's well overpriced - I'd pay 2/rank for it.

Have you consulted the Attack power modifier for ideas about how this might work as an attack, incase it's incompatable with Fortune and Jinx?

Each round you can make your Probability Control rank the minimum result of any one die roll you make. If the die comes up with a lower result, use your power rank instead. So if you have Probability Control 12 you can choose a die roll and be ensured a minimum result of 12 on the die, treating any roll of less than a 12 as a 12. A 20 on the die roll acquired through Probability Control is not considered a “natural 20.”
Do you choose before or after you roll?

At rank 1 Probability Control only ensures that a natural 1 on an attack roll is not an automatic miss, if the total attack roll would still hit the target’s Defense.
Wording's a bit loose here - is this all attack rolls every round, or just one per round that you specifiy?

As written, the power in no way helps the user accomplish those crazy, improbably difficult actions where high rolls are required.
I agree.

Granted, creating a good version of Probability Control/Luck is difficult to do in a way that isn't ripe for abuse.
Boost X (2/rank version - any one trait, one at a time) [Cost 2/rank +2pp]
Power Feats: Split Attack +1pp
Extras: Range +1
Flaws: Instant Fade -1
AltPow: Drain
>Drain X (2/rank version - any one trait, one at a time) [Cost 2/rank +1pp]
>Power Feats: Split Attack +1pp
>Extras: Range +1
>Flaws: Instant Fade -1

Add the Action two or three times if you want to to be able to do this quickly.

Not perfect, but serviceable. Just make sure you buy it at a high rank so you can afford to boost your more expensive powers

Apologies if this wasn't actually asked for.

Last edited:

Bront

The man with the probe
Dirigible said:
Wording's a bit loose here - is this all attack rolls every round, or just one per round that you specifiy?
It's a once per round power. However, that means that outside of combat, it is on pretty much every roll.

And, as far as accomplishing those crazy stunts, well, that's what Luck (AKA Hero Points) is for.

Here's an alternate handling:
------------
You have some control over the otherwise random whims of chance. Each round you can add your Probability Control rank the result of any one die roll you make, up to a maximum of 20. A 20 on the die roll acquired through Probability Control is not considered a “natural 20.” Use of this power must be declaired before rolling the die.
--------

My worries, and I think why they did it they way they did as opposed to the other way is this. Probability control, if used as a bonus, can be used to circumvent the max rank/bonus issues on a Power Level. Since it can be used once a round, I could take a -5 to Attack, but add 10 ranks of Probability control to effectively give myself a +15 to hit (though with a max of 25 on the roll), or use it to automaticly make a toughness save once a round, or some such. As a garunteed minimum instead, it is a bit less problomatic on this end, while still influincing the roll.

Average roll on a D20 per rank of Probablility control
R0: 10.5
R1: 10.5 (No crit failure)
R2: 10.55
R3: 10.65
R4: 10.8
R5: 11
R6: 11.25
R7: 11.55
R8: 11.9
R9: 12.3
R10: 12.75
R11: 13.25
R12: 13.8
R13: 14.4
R14: 15.05
R15: 15.75
R16: 16.5
R17: 17.3
R18: 18.15
R19: 19.05
R20: 20

So, much more powerful at higher levels, but averaging a 12, with a minemum of 10, should let you do most things. It means you're significantly less likely to fail. And, of course, using it the other way, it's pretty nasty as well.

Average roll on a D20 per rank of Probablility control Jinx
R0: 10.5
R1: 10.5
R2: 10.45
R3: 10.35
R4: 10.2
R5: 10
R6: 9.75
R7: 9.45
R8: 9.1
R9: 8.7
R10: 8.25
R11: 7.75
R12: 7.2
R13: 6.6
R14: 5.95
R15: 5.25
R16: 4.5
R17: 3.7
R18: 2.85
R19: 1.95
R20: 1

Bront

The man with the probe
Ok, seeing as how we're debating if it's upderpowered at 4 per rank, and it was written by Steve, I vote YES to approving this as written here, pending it being approved through another sounce (The menace manual).

Obviously, I'm not the only one who needs to approve this, but if we can get it though, and get your character build and setup, we can get the first adventure going :)

Rybaer

First Post
If you're looking for more votes, I'd say allow it. If anything, the agreement seems to settle on it being underpowered for 4pp/rank and highly difficult to abuse.

Bront

The man with the probe
We need judge votes on it. So Keia, Velmont, and/or Kylara.

Kylara is indesposed at the moment, so basicly Velmont and Keia, but other input is always appreciated. And you are right Rybaer, which is why I voted as quickly as I did. After doing the math, it's probably about right if only because you can choose to use it whenever at once a round.

I would rule that it has to be declaired before the roll.

Keia

I aim to misbehave
I'm not one for voting on my own proposals, but thank you all for your input. I think I gave my opinion of it earlier, so where are we at? :)

Keia

Remove ads