Problem with Cry baby player

Junkheap

First Post
well sorry if i said he cries. He doesn't cry. Its just whining that he doesnt get what he wants. In one of the campaigns, which i DM, he is a

Ranger 1 / Paladin 1 / Templar 1 / Knight of the Middle Circle 1 / Planar champion 2 / Cleric 1 / Knight Of The Chalice 3

Thats all that could be read off the character sheet, because there is no place for more. Either way, the level might be different because i know he is at least 13th level.

Btw he is one of my good friends and i have know him for a long time. I ask him to explain it and he just says it makes sense. Anyway we are playing tonite, so i am going to see what he says.

And for the record, i dont mind min maxing, but to a point. I have no problem with my other friend in the same campaign having an archer who is basically a fighter/sorceror/arcane archer/order of the bow iniatite. He had to take sorceror for the arcane archer, and the OOTBI to help his archery skills. Eh, either way, we will see what becomes of this.

Tiberius

Explorer
Junkheap said:
well sorry if i said he cries. He doesn't cry. Its just whining that he doesnt get what he wants. In one of the campaigns, which i DM, he is a

Ranger 1 / Paladin 1 / Templar 1 / Knight of the Middle Circle 1 / Planar champion 2 / Cleric 1 / Knight Of The Chalice 3

Thats all that could be read off the character sheet, because there is no place for more. Either way, the level might be different because i know he is at least 13th level.

Wow. He must be the most dilute character ever. :eek: You are missing 3 levels in the breakdown, btw, by my count.

Btw he is one of my good friends and i have know him for a long time. I ask him to explain it and he just says it makes sense. Anyway we are playing tonite, so i am going to see what he says.

How does he say it makes sense? Does he even bother saying anything other than "it makes sense"? I'd LOVE to hear the rationale behind this one. :)

I note he is both a paladin and a cleric. Does he worship the same deity? If so, he would probably be the target of much derision by the other members of his order due to his "washing out" of paladinhood (I'm assuming). It might not accomplish anything, but it would be fun.

As for magic items, you could try convincing the other players to actually make him the stuff he wants, but with an added "feature" (see also: curse). I imagine that would lessen his desire for PC-created items.

-Tiberius

Aaron L

Hero
Actually, going just on the classes, he seems fine. A lot of classes, to be sure, but nothing contradictory. Lots of divine servant type classes. I don't know the other particulars, so I won't say he isn't being wonky. But these classes don't make the problem by themselves.

Victim

First Post
He must have some other stuff, otherwise his base attack would be too low to take most of those classes.

He needs a +5 base attack to become a Templar, which he needs to get the weapon specialization for the Planar Champion. The Cleric level isn't adding to his attack and the other prestige classes probably have similar base attack requirements, but I'm not sure because I don't have them.

birdboy2000

First Post
Try convincing the DM to catch his character in a meteor shower, somehow tying it into the plot.(Not the spell, a bunch of meteors hitting the campaign world.)

Darkness

Hand and Eye of Piratecat [Moderator]
madriel said:

And a cleric who's a courtesan taking ranks in seduction. I'd see a courtesan as more of a Bard, personally.

He seems to be a cleric of you, Madriel, at least that's what the guy who knows him says in his post! :D
So your clerics shouldn't be like that, eh? :)

Ulrick

First Post
Alt. (but mean) method to deal w/ bad players

In 8th to 9th grade we had a problem player in my collective group of friends. Most of the people who played didn't like this player. I even forbade him from playing in my games. However, the problem arises when my best friend at the time felt sorry for the guy and allowed him to play in his games.

Now, this guy was a idiot and a jerk. When my friend started up a MERPs campaign the guy didn't even bother to try to learn the rules. But when combat would start, he'd moan about stupid the rules system was. Games would suffer because of him. In the last D&D game he played when I DMed, when a combat broke out with a main villain he had his rogue climb the walls for no good reason. After that game he stole some of my miniatures.

But as I said, my best friend had sympathy for him. So he let him play in his games much to the dismay of everybody else...

Once upon a time I played a Chaotic Neutral Bard (the same bard that burned down a Kender Village for those that remember). For some strange reason, my bard never liked any of the problem player's character. He'd attempt to wander away from the group while in the dungeon. Yes, I know the risks of doing this. It's better to stay in the group. However, In THREE adventures, the ENTIRE PARTY but myself PERISHED because of the idiot's actions.
My character lived because he wasn't there with them...or he would have been toast to.

Well, eventually my best friend got tired of dealing with split groups. If you became separated from the group by your own decision, he'd send you out of the room...for a long time while the majority of the group did its business. The place you'd wait was his room...and there wasn't much to do back there...

The other player's caught on...except for the idiot/jerk. So we'd intentionally go in the opposite direct he wanted to go (it usually was a wise choice anyway). The DM would send him out of the room each time. Once he was gone for almost 3 hours while we enjoyed a great game.

Eventually he stopped playing...for the most part. Occasionally he'd show up for the odd game or two. But he was docile because he knew nobody at the table except for the DM liked him.

And we lived happily ever after...

THE END :)

Ulrick

madriel

First Post
Darkness said:
He seems to be a cleric of you, Madriel, at least that's what the guy who knows him says in his post! :D
So your clerics shouldn't be like that, eh? :)

LOL:D

Courtesans are Idra's province. Idra is a mere demi-goddess whose followers are generally bards or sorcerors. Fortunately for that wayward cleric I am a compassionate deity so I won't give him a divine butt-smacking this time.;)

Humanophile

First Post
The classes don't seem to be the issue. The issue seems to be a player who doesn't understand that RPG's are a group oriented hobby, and thus should be fun for the whole group.

If you're not the DM, have a talk with the DM. And whether you are or not, have a talk with all the rest of the players. Basically, have everyone agree not to be pushed over, and to not reinforce bad behavior. If he whines or resorts to hystronics, ignore him and move on with the plot. Rewarding him just teaches him the wrong lesson.

If things progress, you may have to kick him from the game. (If he's this whiny and self centered in game, especially if he doesn't learn, I wonder why you'd want to spend time with him in the first place. Of course, if he does this because he learned that it gets him what he wants in game, you just need to be a smart DM for a smart player.) And if your DM has some special reason for letting him ruin the game, defect.

I know this is all a lot of "me too"ing that's easier said than done, but the path of least resistance is how this came out the way it did in the first place.

Remove ads