• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Product Lists for Collecting Old Rulebooks/Modules/Accessories

zepherusbane

Explorer
Like many of you, I am also a collector, not just a gamer. I have an unhealthy desire to own every single D&D and most D20 related products. The last time I went to Gencon, I had to make over a dozen trips between the auction room and my hotel since I had purchased so many items.

I am still far from having a complete collection and to be honest, I'm not sure what a complete collection is. I really want to have a complete list of everything from Chainmail on to the present day.

I'm focused mostly on TSR and WotC, but I also collect gems from other publishers (for example, "Ultimate Feats" by Mongoose), but I'm not so concerned about having everything for the other publishers.

Which brings me to this thread. I've been trying to update my product lists thinking that by now someone would have a complete list posted somewhere on the web. What I found was quite disappointing.

I can look up products by the publisher ISBN (IE, the number after the first dash in an ISBN is the publisher number) and was able to get a lot more of the list but I found that was incomplete too.

I thought that someone else might have already gathered a complete list of products, if so would you be willing to share? I need to know what I'm missing! :)

Some of the things I've figured out so far are below in case someone else might find the data useful. Note that the number before the dash is the language code, 0 or 1 is English. The second number after the dash is the publisher number, numbers after the second dash are the unique number for the product.

ISBN's that start with...
0-935696 Really old TSR stuff like 1st Ed. Players Handbook and DMG
0-88038 older TSR stuff some 1st Ed, some 2nd.
1-56076 more recent TSR stuff
0-7869 The last few TSR items and WotC to present

Other publishers in my collection:
1-58846 and 1-56504 White Wolf
1-888906 Holistic Design
1-903980 Mongoose Publishing
1-932442 Green Ronin Publishing
1-58978 Atlas Games
1-58846 Sword & Sorcery (Monte Cook's publishing company)

I find most things published with these on the Library of Congress website, but their format is not is not easy to use. I will have to strip out the relevant parts manually or write some ETL processes to extract the data. This will take weeks if I can't find an alternate method.

In addition, I know that even the Library of Congress list ins't completely accurate. I did a search yesterday and found 11 items under 0-935696, today the same search only found 9. I found 118 items for 0-88038 yesterday and today found 123. The numbers changed! That might mean the search only shows items not being used by someone or something.

I found another site that had a large portion of these already in a usable format, but there were no items listed for the 0-935696 publisher at all and only around 30 for 0-88038 meaning it's not even close to complete enough for my needs.

In addition to D&D, I'm also interested in D20 Modern, Future, and Past items from ALL publishers.

Below is a sample of the format from the Library of congress. They have a function to email the results of a search and this is what you get for each record. Yes, it's really this messy.

LC control no.: 82158193

Type of material: Book (Print, Microform, Electronic, etc.)

Personal name: Gygax, Gary.

Main title: Advanced dungeons & dragons, monster manual : special
reference work : an alphabetical compedium of all of the
monsters found in Advanced Dungeons & dragons, including
attacks, damage, special abilities, and descriptions /
Gary Gygax ; illustrations by David C. Sutherland III
... [et al.] ; cover by David C. Sutherland III.

Edition: 4th ed.

Published/Created: Lake Geneva, WI : TSR Hobbies ; [New York] : Distributed in
the U.S. by Random House, [1979], c1978.

Related titles: Advanced dungeons and dragons, monster manual.
Monster manual.

Description: 112 p. : ill. ; 29 cm.

ISBN: 0935696008

Notes: "August 1979."
Pages 111-112 advertisements.
Includes index.

Subjects: Dungeons and Dragons (Game)

LC classification: GV1469.D8 G93 1979

Dewey class no.: 794

CALL NUMBER: GV1469.D8 G93 1979
Copy 1
-- Request in: Jefferson or Adams Building Reading Rooms

================================================================================

Rogue765

First Post
Two good series of posts right here on EN World:

www.enworld.org/forum/general-rpg-discussion/275042-semi-brief-history-d-d-some-other-rpgs-1967-1979-a.html

Look for the link to part 2 at the bottom.

www.enworld.org/forum/general-rpg-discussion/309339-1st-edition-collectors-guide.html

These are for D&D only but have posts for each core edition and each world supplement series.

::Type the links into your browser address bar. The link function doesn't seem to want to make a working link.

The first post is from TerraDave. Look for one of his recent posts, it should have a link to these.

Last edited:

zepherusbane

Explorer
Two good series of posts right here on EN World:

www.enworld.org/forum/general-rpg-discussion/275042-semi-brief-history-d-d-some-other-rpgs-1967-1979-a.html

Look for the link to part 2 at the bottom.

www.enworld.org/forum/general-rpg-discussion/309339-1st-edition-collectors-guide.html

These are for D&D only but have posts for each core edition and each world supplement series.

Those links don't actually work unfortunately, however I did find a couple guides here on enworld, one of which looked like the second link you had listed, from there were links to some other editions too.

I'm still curious to find that first post you listed, I'll try to find it.

Thanks for your help!

Echohawk

Shirokinukatsukami fan
Try contacting [MENTION=9849]Echohawk[/MENTION] on these boards. He has done a fantastic job of putting together product lists for D&D.

Thanks for the mention, Jacob Marley. [MENTION=6688465]zepherusbane[/MENTION], I maintain fairly comprehensive D&D collector's guides right here on ENWorld:

Collector's Guides
1st Edition
2nd Edition
3rd Edition
4th Edition
Al-Qadim
Birthright
Blackmoor
Dark Sun
Dragonlance
Eberron
Forgotten Realms (not yet published)
Greyhawk
Kingdoms of Kalamar
Lankhmar
Mystara
Oriental Adventures
Original D&D and misc. (not yet published)
Planescape
Ravenloft
Spelljammer

zepherusbane

Explorer
Yes, I found these in one of your other posts [MENTION=9849]Echohawk[/MENTION]! I xp'ed you in a couple of those other threads, it won't let me do another until I "spread it around" whatever that means...

Thanks for doing all this work!

Remove ads