• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Programming D&D utilities for Microsoft's .NET framework

dvvega

Explorer
However even java requires a download before it will work ... there is nothing cross platform that doesn't require some kind of download/configuration.

Granted the java download works on most OSes but the point is there.

theoremtank

First Post
I'm getting close to finishing the interface layout for the character generator I eventually plan on building. I'll send it to those that are interested in giving me their critiques of the layout.

Fyrie

Explorer
When MONO is finished, then at least most windows boxes and Linux boxes will not need to go download the .NET framework. However, I haven't heard of anything being developed for mac.

I am wondering if the UI/Form api (wrapped over gtk?) will be 100% compatible with the windows .net UI API. It would really stink to have to write a different presentation layer for each OS.

Last edited:

eldoen

First Post
Fyrie said:
When MONO is finished, then at least most windows boxes and Linux boxes will not need to go download the .NET framework. However, I haven't heard of anything being developed for mac.

I am wondering if the UI/Form api (wrapped over gtk?) will be 100% compatible with the windows .net UI API. It would really stink to have to write a different presentatino layer for each OS.

A group in Mono is working on a BSD and quatz wrapper for the UI in macs

EL

Brent

First Post
Have you thought of Eiffel? It has its own development environment or can used as part of .NET and it supports multiple inheritance.

It compiles on a number of platforms Windows, Linux, Unix...
Mac support is due out soon.

I am just starting to learn it after working in VB & C++. Check them out at Eiffel.com

dvvega

Explorer
Eiffel is good ... learning curve is steep for non OOP programmers but good ... as are 100s of OO languages.

I did not know it could be used in .NET though ... interesting.

Hawks Talon

First Post
Eiffel may be "good", but $5000 is too steap a cost to justify, especialy for a small project like this. Hell, you can download a C# compiler from M$ for "free". I know I would not be willing to spend 5k to develop a product that I would be making little to no money on.

-Hawks Talon, MCP

Last edited:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads