Programs to organize campaigns

Hand of Evil

Hero
Epic
Mystery Man said:
Hey calimedic911 :) Sorry! I had no idea this thread was still going on!

I find myself using Microsoft's Onenote 2003 more and more. You can paste all kinds of crap in there plus you can go back and forth from pen to typing, turn you pen marks into tex etc. I can actually hand draw maps, jot down notes etc. The possibilities are limitless really.
It is a very good thread... :D

May make archive!

Lonely Tylenol

First Post
Hand of Evil said:
It will be interesting to see how MicroSoft's OneNote program works for a campaign organizer, the cost is high 100$ but intergration to all things MS and a very common format.

I have OneNote. It's excellent for note-taking and note-keeping (I use it on my laptop at school), but I don't think I'd want to use it for data management in any way. It is, essentially, just a bunch of folders with notepads in them. It doesn't have any robust organization options, and I wouldn't want to try to (for example) put the SRD on it.

It's a good program, just not for this kind of task.

LordAnki

First Post
Hey CJ,

I really like the way your program is coming along. Can you keep me posted on updates?

Thanks for these programs. It should be better than hand wirting all my notes. Well it will be easier to manage I think.

talmar

First Post
Well, I thought I'd throw in my 2 cents.

I've been using One Note for a few months now, primariy because it came with my new laptop preinstalled. It was nice, helped out quite a bit but there was also more than a handful of nitpicks I had using it.

I saw this thread and checked out a handful of the alternatives.

I have to say so far The Journal is my favorite. I've organized my latest campaign, the tree view is great, linking is great especially with a local copy of the SRD, the tables are great, I'm loving it.

I have very little doubt as to whether I'll purchase it. It's almost a sure thing. I start DM'ing my games next week so we'll see how it works in game. I'm looking forward to it.

The daily journal will come in handy for each gaming session. I can take notes during my gaming sessions and it's tracked by the days and I can link my notes back into the campaign.

Lizard

Explorer
Ultimate Campaign Tool!

a)Ability to cross-index data entries. The problem with most outliners is that I might want an NPC to appear under 'NPCS', 'Inhabitants of this room', and 'Characters for this adventure' -- but I don't want to enter him three times. Some sort of aliasing/shortcut system.

b)More data structure. I'd like to be able to create data templates (ideall with checkboxes, dropdowns, etc) and add 'records', as well as freeform text. (Each record should have the ability to have freeform text associated with it, of course!)

c)Integration with tools like PCGen -- for example, the ability to launch PCGen, create a character, and have the character automatically placed into the campaign tool via export.

d)clickable image maps.

e)Ability to display multiple entries at once (screen space permitting...)

f)Easy hyperlinking. For example, click on a word, then draw a line to another node in the outline that the word links to. Even better, autolinking for some words -- as soon as you type the name of a character, city, magic item, yadda yadda in freeform text, if that name exists elsewhere, it's linked to. (This requires some clevernes -- if you have nodes name John, Smith, and John Smith, does typing 'John Smith' link to the first two nodes or the last one?)

g)Simple formulas which can be embedded in the pages, to update some numbers.

h)The SRD already converted into it. :)

i)'Sticky notes' which can be attached to the pages.

Ebonyr

First Post
Arise old thread! IMHO, OneNote by MS is the One note program to rule them all. import/export, add pictures (maps, etc). :cool:

GAH. ENWorld ate a novel of a post. It and Firefox are on my list for the evening. :rant:

For the Mac user who keeps on hearing about how awesome OneNote is (or one who knows first hand from work or a friend), I bring you two OS X friendly alternatives. As I've been using OneNote for a few months thanks to work, I've gotta say, neither one is a perfect match, and I *almost* would say that I like OneNote better than either of them...but they're better than other stuff that I've seen.

Circus Ponies NoteBook: Circus Ponies NoteBook - Award-Winning Mac Application - Organization for a Creative Mind

Zengobi Curio: Zengobi - Curio - Mind Mapping, Brainstorming, and Project Management Software for Mac OS X

Both products have the merits and flaws, both provide ample free trials, and at the moment, I use both in concert to run my games. (NoteBook stores information in a way that makes it a bit easier to find without fussing, but is best suited to text or images that you don't want to do much with; Curio is a great tool for brainstorming and OneNote style page layout, especially with images (can you say stat blocks?))

Remove ads