Programs to organize campaigns

JohnnFour

Explorer
I use WikiPad for my game planning and note-taking these days.

http://www.jhorman.org/wikidPad/

30 day free trial. $12 to buy.

Once you get used to the idea of Wiki words, as opposed to tables of contents and tree views, it feels a bit liberating and becomes easy to use and reference with.

Output is to plain text files as well.

Twin Rose

First Post
I feel I'd be remiss in not pointing out our Campaign Suite program. Of course it has tree-down dungeons, adventures, encounter tables - and everything has fully customizable editors (for the non technically inclined). The second version of the software is coming out this week, which brings complete XML functionality to the program - furthering the customizability of both input and output.

Yes, I use it for managing my weekly game ;)

Ranes

Adventurer
GentleGiant said:
It would be really nifty if those of you who have organized your campaign(s) using various programs could put up some screen shots of various pages/trees/configurations/templates/etc. that you use... ...Anyone willing to share?
Happy to oblige. Here are some of my latest experiments in laptop-assisted game management. The screenshots below show DM Genie. The symbols on the map are hyperlinks to other tabs.

I also have RPM but I'm waiting for its author to resolve a few issues to do with calibrating maps so RPM can calculate distances. I've been keeping an eye on GM Gen, too. It seems to be getting there.

Attachments

• G11_items.jpg
    G11_items.jpg
    150.3 KB · Views: 181
  • G19_description.jpg
    G19_description.jpg
    164.9 KB · Views: 171
  • G19_map.jpg
    G19_map.jpg
    154.4 KB · Views: 227
  • Irontusk_notes.jpg
    Irontusk_notes.jpg
    163.5 KB · Views: 193

Hand of Evil

Hero
Epic
OneNotes: showing screen and tabs the other is the document published as a web page. But OneNote cost and I think some of the other programs handle things better but it is not bad.

Last edited:

Agamon

Adventurer
Ranes said:
Happy to oblige. Here are some of my latest experiments in laptop-assisted game management. The screenshots below show DM Genie. The symbols on the map are hyperlinks to other tabs.

Hey, Mad God's Key, fun mod.

Anyhoo, it looks like a breeze to use during play from the screenshot, but...that looks like a lot of info to enter, especially for a published mod, which looks a heck of a lot easier to prep the old-fashoined way.

How was the info entered? Scanned? Typed? Typing it all in and hyperlinking it all sounds like it'd take longer than to actually play. Looks like DM Genie would be better to use in a my homebrew game, where I create most of the stuff already, than in my GH game, where the party is just starting RttToEE. I can't imagine putting that entire book into that program, my spare time is precious. :)

Ranes

Adventurer
Ah yes. I have to say that were it not for a very good scanner with optical character recognition, I would not have entered so much info. Even with said scanner and OCR software, I should also mention that a twenty-four year career as a writer and editor helps to speed things along. I corrected all the typos in the original module, cleaned up some of the scruffier sentences, changed the names of the gods to fit my homebrew and re-set the text for clarity. I added a lot more NPCs and random encounters in the city (which is the PCs' base in my campaign). All of which took twice as much time as I would normally spend on preparation. However, a lot of the extra work I did will be reusable for much of the new campaign. I hope.

Preparing the follow-up adventure took much less time. I'm now spending as long on preparation as I used to, before I used software assistance (ie about eight hours) but I'm getting a lot more done in that time.

Hand of Evil

Hero
Epic
Some databases have been created and just need to be imported.

OneNotes has an intergration tool for IE that will allow you to capture web sites but is mostly drag and drop/cut and paste.

Twin Rose

First Post
Posting a link to what the final "Campaign Export" looks like within Campaign Suite Extended - this includes a 10 room dungeon and 5 overland encounters.

You should note that these aren't blocks of text formatted together, but all the numbers and variables - from the statblocks for characters and creatures to the treasures - all have their own editors and generators.

Notes are all 'tree-able', and you can select if a note is open content, boxed text, shaded, etc (without any messy code editting.. just a check box for each).

http://twinrose.net/previews/Example Campaign.HTML

Here's what it looks like in the campaign editor:
(Note the notes inserted inside other notes on the tree)
http://twinrose.net/images/ScreenShots/DungeonEditTreasure.jpg

Here's the creature editor, for helping make the statblocks in the dungeon:
http://twinrose.net/images/ScreenShots/CreatureEditor.jpg

Remove ads