• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Psions vs Wizards : DCs

marune

First Post
Hi, I noticed that Psions with augmentation can have 1 more point of DC than Clerics/Sorcerers/Wizards.

For example, a fully augmented Charm, Psionic cast by a 20th level Psion would have a DC of 20(10 + 1 + 9), and a hypothetic 9th level charm spell cast by a Wizard would have a DC of 19(10 + 9). Of course, I did not include the ability modifier factor.

I don't want to start another balance war between Psion and other spellcasters, but I really don't like this little advantage. What do you think about it?

Last edited:

irdeggman

First Post
skeptic said:
Hi, I noticed that Psions with augmentation can have 1 more point of DC than Clerics/Sorcerers/Wizards.

For example, a fully augmented Charm, Psionic cast by a 20th level Psion would have a DC of 20(10 + 1 + 9), and a hypothetic 9th level charm spell cast by a Wizard would have a DC of 19(10 + 9). Of course, I did not include the ability modifier factor.

I don't want to start another balance war between Psion and other spellcasters, but I really don't like this little advantage. What do you think about it?

I don't think a +1 DC at 20th level is anything that makes a difference really.

Remember that in in order to use a metapsionic feat requires expending your psionic focus while using a metamagic feat does not.

Regaining you focus requires a full-round action, unless you have psionic mediation (the feat) which makes it a move action. Either way a psion is more limited in how he can use metapsionic feats because he loses actions in the process.

Lokishadow

First Post
Also keep in mind that said psion is effectively paying the cost of casting a roughly 10th level spell (at least 9.5) instead of a vanilla (!) 9th level wizard spell.

But then, I prefer (gasp!) 1st edition spells and psionics. I LIKE overpowered characters. It means I get to throw horrendous beasties at them. :]

-Loki

Lokishadow

First Post
Sithobi1 said:
I think you mean 10.5 level spell, Loki

Haven't played in 2 years. Too much work, kung fu, military, child, and spouse. I'm a little rusty. So I missed by half a point. Cut me some slack. :)

No, I'm not trying to piss you off, I just have an abrasive sense of humor.

Enforcer

Explorer
Yeah, I think the disparity is mitigated by the higher pp cost for the psion. Also that the wizard's spells usually augment for free whereas a psion's usually do not (e.g. A 10th level wizard's fireball does 10d6 with a 3rd-level spell slot, a 10d6 energy ball from a 10th level psion, who's either a kineticist or took Expanded Knowledge, costs 10 pp--the equivalent of a 5.5 level spell).

I think this difference (and using the fixed DC augmentation of energy missle and similarly broken powers as in Complete Psionic) is what keeps wizards and psions different but balanced.

Infiniti2000

First Post
skeptic said:
As evidenced in all responses so far, I think it's impossible to discuss it without discussing the balance war between Psions and other spellcasters. :)

Enforcer

Explorer
Yeah, and I'm guilty for ignoring the OP's request. But you can't really say "the psion gets X and the wizard doesn't and that's unfair" without comparing other balancing factors that make it fair.

Henry

Autoexreginated
The particular difference you note only occurs after 18th level. It's really not a big consideration to me, as a result, since we rarely play so high.

Infiniti2000

First Post
To those noting it's not a big difference, I'll point out that it's the equivalent of a free feat, and big enough that WotC decided to nerf that feat in 3.5.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads