• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Public Relations

Macbeth

First Post
I think it might be a good idea to discuss how to improve our public image. Some ideas I have:

-Religion: Having at least some support from a church would be good, since Greerson appears to be fairly religous. Maybe we could invite Rose back? Having a local cleric as part of the group would be nice.

-Name Recognition: If we had a group name, maybe we could put a positive spin on things. That way we wouldn't be "those criminals" anymore, we would have a proper name.

-Politics: We've got Lord Tannerson on our side for the most part, lets make the most of it. Displaying Lord Tannerson's coat of arms (or symbol, sigil, whatever) would make us more "official." Maybe some sort of small metal pin? Could Felix make those?

-Populace:What are the people of Greerson worried about, and what could we do about it? Maybe we should talk to random people in the streets, just to get an idea of what the populace is worried about, then put our all into fixing that problem.

Any body else got any ideas? Could we use any of these ideas?

Macbeth

First Post
Some more crazy ideas:

-Art: We have Fleix and Tormal both very able of creating art of some type, what if we made some kind of tribute to Greerson. This is probably the most brown-nosing way of sucking up to the populace...

-Hired Help: How bout hiring an NPC bard to write about our adventures? We proabably have the gold for it.

-Fight: Li and Keldorn are already palnning on having a friendly duel, why not make it inot an event? We could hype it up and show off in combat.

BSF

Explorer
You know, the group name is not a bad idea. I made the last group choose a name when they received their adventuring charter. Talk about audacious and brown-nosing! They chose Greerson's Glory.

I can't actively contribute to the discussion since any ideas I put in might carry more weight then they would really deserve. However, I will point out potential issues that you will want to think around with any of your ideas.

Displaying a coat of arms is a privelige. Those that have earned it will often delegate part of their coat of arms to those that serve them. Most of you are allowed (obligated?) to bear the barest coat of arms in Lord Tannerson's service. Primarily the Oak Leaf, which is also part of the Coat of Arms for Greerson (both the city and the nation). Anything more has to be granted to you by a Lord, or somebody of adequate political significance.

As an example, Oceas is the sole priest of Xanthos in the area. As a result, there is a certain presumption that he can bear an appropriate device of Xanthos for himself. Of course, how he conducts himself is also the only experience that many of these people have with Xanthos. So, everyone will pretty much assume that all followers & priests of Xanthos are like Oceas. If he conducts himself in a bas and dishonorable manner, the assumption is that there is no honor, nor any value, in anyone that bears the symbol of Xanthos.

Rose, as a Priestess of Belmay is certainly expected to bear Belmay's religious regalia. But, there is also a Coat of Arms for Belmay that the High Priest would be empowered to allow somebody to bear. This will often be the case for people on a mission for the church.

There may be official, sanctioned organizations within Greerson that are also allowed to bear. The leaders of these organizations would make decisions on who can bear their Coat of Arms.

Somebody familiar with the various Coats of Arms can learn quite a bit about a person bearing such things. This is good because it quickly says a lot about it. Though, it also displays your political affiliations for all to see. Sometimes, that will also be a bad thing.

Kultar

First Post
BardStephenFox said:
You know, the group name is not a bad idea. I made the last group choose a name when they received their adventuring charter. Talk about audacious and brown-nosing! They chose Greerson's Glory.

I can't actively contribute to the discussion since any ideas I put in might carry more weight then they would really deserve. However, I will point out potential issues that you will want to think around with any of your ideas.

Displaying a coat of arms is a privelige. Those that have earned it will often delegate part of their coat of arms to those that serve them. Most of you are allowed (obligated?) to bear the barest coat of arms in Lord Tannerson's service. Primarily the Oak Leaf, which is also part of the Coat of Arms for Greerson (both the city and the nation). Anything more has to be granted to you by a Lord, or somebody of adequate political significance.

As an example, Oceas is the sole priest of Xanthos in the area. As a result, there is a certain presumption that he can bear an appropriate device of Xanthos for himself. Of course, how he conducts himself is also the only experience that many of these people have with Xanthos. So, everyone will pretty much assume that all followers & priests of Xanthos are like Oceas. If he conducts himself in a bas and dishonorable manner, the assumption is that there is no honor, nor any value, in anyone that bears the symbol of Xanthos.

Rose, as a Priestess of Belmay is certainly expected to bear Belmay's religious regalia. But, there is also a Coat of Arms for Belmay that the High Priest would be empowered to allow somebody to bear. This will often be the case for people on a mission for the church.

There may be official, sanctioned organizations within Greerson that are also allowed to bear. The leaders of these organizations would make decisions on who can bear their Coat of Arms.

Somebody familiar with the various Coats of Arms can learn quite a bit about a person bearing such things. This is good because it quickly says a lot about it. Though, it also displays your political affiliations for all to see. Sometimes, that will also be a bad thing.

OOC - Dave, I wouldn't worry about your ideas carrying too much weight and influence. As characters, we tend to ignore the voices in our heads and go with our hearts anyway.

In character - Brother Oceas thinks that it would be a wonderful idea to incorporate a few of the locals into our missions/adventures so that they can experience first hand what we do and who we are. A proper name for a group serving a sentence does seem a bit bold and presumptious but in light of our current situation perhaps it would not be a bad idea to find something to call ourselves as a band sworn to service. "Greersons Glory" ( what an odd coincidence) or something attached more directly to Tannersons name (as our sponsor) or something light hearted and whimsical as a means of diffusing tensions and diverting attention away from us. Ponder the possibilities, as this is how we will be perceived and remembered.

If there are any breaks in the craft competition or soon after its completion, Oceas would like to wander among the various spellcasters tents and seek knowledge about other spells and types of spells and spellcasting. This is to both increase my own abilities and to understand more about others (always seek knowledge)

injuredwyvern

First Post
How about if we choose a group mascot! If we ever get popular and rich enough, we can hire some guy to follow us around in a mascot suit and cheer us on. I bet that has to provide some sort of morale bonus.

Macbeth

First Post
injuredwyvern said:
How about if we choose a group mascot! If we ever get popular and rich enough, we can hire some guy to follow us around in a mascot suit and cheer us on. I bet that has to provide some sort of morale bonus.
It does. But they're not called mascots, they're called bards. ;)

BSF

Explorer
injuredwyvern said:

That sounds like a great idea! I'm thinking either a kobold, or some sort of funky looking guy. Maybe somebody who likes feathers and dances a lot. Ooh! And make them wear a mask to add to that aura of entertainment and mystery.

Macbeth

First Post
How bout if we created some kind of flyer, and handed it to people around the festival? Something along the lines of "This is why we aren't the bad guys:"

Or maybe put the manor to some kind of good use? I'm not sure what we could do with it, but we do have the manor.

injuredwyvern

First Post
Before the festival Ceru made a bunch of little charms (basically just a bunch of sticks tied together, but it looks kinda cool - sorta like a dreamcatcher) for the purpose of passing out to various people he meets. This includes potentially important people like Janek (who already has one) and a few random non NPCs (people Ceru danced with or for, and stuff like that). Perhaps it might be a good idea to decide on a group symbol of some sort, then create little charms that reflect that symbol, and give those out to various NPCs and people. It's kinda like a flyer, but with more flavor. Plus it might help us gauge how popular we are by who recognizes the symbol in a given area. What do you think?

As for the manor, I have an idea you may or may not like. How about setting it up as some sort of animal preserve/zoo? I imagine it would be relatively expensive (workers, food, shelter, etc.) but it could make for an interesting goal of collecting exotic animals and finding a way to transport them back and care for them. And assuming the animals are well cared for, could provide a lot of popularity for the group.

Macbeth

First Post
injuredwyvern said:
Before the festival Ceru made a bunch of little charms (basically just a bunch of sticks tied together, but it looks kinda cool - sorta like a dreamcatcher) for the purpose of passing out to various people he meets. This includes potentially important people like Janek (who already has one) and a few random non NPCs (people Ceru danced with or for, and stuff like that). Perhaps it might be a good idea to decide on a group symbol of some sort, then create little charms that reflect that symbol, and give those out to various NPCs and people. It's kinda like a flyer, but with more flavor. Plus it might help us gauge how popular we are by who recognizes the symbol in a given area. What do you think?

As for the manor, I have an idea you may or may not like. How about setting it up as some sort of animal preserve/zoo? I imagine it would be relatively expensive (workers, food, shelter, etc.) but it could make for an interesting goal of collecting exotic animals and finding a way to transport them back and care for them. And assuming the animals are well cared for, could provide a lot of popularity for the group.

I like both these ideas. We really need to decide on a group name/symbol.

As for the manor, I like the zoo idea, but keeping posibly dangerous animals so close to Greerson is just asking for trouble. We would look even worse if our animals got loose. But still worth discussing.

Remove ads