• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Publishing an OGL mod

Gog

First Post
I've been out of work for about three and a half months and I'm looking to try and bring in even a little bit of money by selling a pdf of a couple of mods I wrote for Living Greyhawk.

I know that I'd have to strip out the Greyhawk refrences but other than that where is the best place to find out what needs to be done. Also does anybody think it would even be worthwhile? I'm not trying to make a living at it I'm just looking for a little extra money.

kitsune9

Adventurer
I've been out of work for about three and a half months and I'm looking to try and bring in even a little bit of money by selling a pdf of a couple of mods I wrote for Living Greyhawk.

I know that I'd have to strip out the Greyhawk refrences but other than that where is the best place to find out what needs to be done. Also does anybody think it would even be worthwhile? I'm not trying to make a living at it I'm just looking for a little extra money.

Go for it! Let us know what your work is on RPG Now or similar place and I can take a look.

As a shopper, I like a good edited adventure with nice maps. You can use cheap art stock and layout. Also when you price the mod, price it according to what I'm getting.

If the professional gaming companies are putting out a pdf of $12 mods that's 32 pages worth of encounters and yours is 16 pages, I don't want to see a $12 price tag.

Whatever you do, please make sure your mechanics are sound. I bought one pdf adventure where the author just made up mechanics for 3rd edition (they used d12 for HD for rangers). However, since you wrote for Living Greyhawk, I'm sure that won't be too much of a problem as much of writing mods for them goes through an editing process too.

Gog

First Post
Do the authors of RPGA adventures control the rights to the work or does the RPGA/WotC?

Well it depends. The year one and two mods as well as most of the core mods from all years belong to WOTC sort of. Actually from what I remember the non-core mods are in some sort of limbo area.

All of the year three and after mods belonged to Wotc till they retired then the rights go back to the authors.

Not that it really matters. You have to strip all of the Greyhawk references and I plan on making a few other changes so it wont really be the LG mod when I'm done.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads