Purple Index Cards: On-the-Fly Setting and Plot Collaboration

surfarcher

First Post
Awesome! Do you happen to have a file with all this space out for printing?

If not I'll come to the party and produce a couple of PDFs with a ready-to-print-on-card layout.

SabreCat

First Post
Nev: I hadn't really thought about these in a one-shot or convention environment. As discussed a few posts up, you'd want a different reward scheme, since experience points aren't terribly important in that situation. But it could certainly be fun--turn the traditionally on-rails feel of a convention D&D adventure on its ear! Maybe pare down the deck, too, take out things with a long-term focus like some of the faction-related cards.

unan: I've been using these in my current game, which is two sessions into 5th level. Some of the cards were added later than others, based on feedback and the maturation of the idea. For instance, I initially had cards to override skill checks only for the knowledge skills, but I expanded it to have one such card for every skill. Illustrations I hadn't thought of! I bet some cute stuff could be done with that, but I'm no artist. As for formatting...

doug: I don't have such a file yet; I was planning to create one after getting some feedback, see if anybody came up with more card ideas. If you're volunteering, though, go for it! That'd be a fantastic help.

surfarcher

First Post
No worries!

I volunteered because I'd like to use these and I already have a blank card template I have used for a lot of other cards I made for our game - condition references and such :)

It's in Word but that's trivially cut to PDF.

If other folks want to do the hard part by posting the titles, descriptions and mechanics in here then the least I can do is contribute the collation I am already planning to do ;)

Last edited:

keterys

First Post
Could do something like have the party get a magic item when it's used up X cards, where X is 3 to 5 probably. Though, I suppose to preserve the minion/monster difference you might want to have the 'minions' count as 1/4 or 1/2 a card for that purpose. I think I'd be tempted for 1/2.

There's a couple cards I'd probably skip (like 'Say that again, you pestilent cur'), but neat idea overall!

SabreCat

First Post
Magic items might indeed make a good alternative. The classic D&D rewards are levels and loot, after all, so if you remove the former, you still have the latter ^.^

"Say That Again...", "But Soft..." etc. are a little different from the rest. They're more like RP rewards for particular complications the DM would like to see the PCs introduce, as opposed to giving players extra authorship. There aren't too many of them, so they could stand to be beefed up with more cards like them so they're less anomalous, or trimmed out.

surfarcher

First Post
Well I've made a start to this :-D

The Achievements cards are basically done, I did have to tinker with a few of the longer titles tho.

I'm working on the main deck now. Many of those are long so I'm not sure exactly what I'll do. Probably wing it and then see what everyone thinks and change stuff as folks see fit. Not sure what to put on the back of these. For now I have put "Bonus".

I'll probably have a draft version ready for review in the next day or so.

SabreCat

First Post
Nice, thanks much! Looking forward to seeing what you've done with them.

I'm not sure what would be a good card back title for the main deck, either, since it's still a mix of a few different things. Maybe "Twists"?

surfarcher

First Post
Glad to help!

I'll probably play with the layout and formatting a little over the next week or so but unless I get specific feedback it won't change too much.

Any suggestions or feedback would be great!

Remove ads