Purple Index Cards: On-the-Fly Setting and Plot Collaboration

SabreCat

First Post
Maybe increase the font size on the card text and decrease it some on the card titles? Might alleviate some of the trouble with too-long titles, and make the cards a little more readable.

surfarcher

First Post
Yeah I was thinking of increasing the body text font size. Dropping the heading downa point or two is a good idea too.

I'm also thinking of moving the "benefit" paragraph to the bottom, giving it a slightly different font and prepending "Benefit: ".

Hopefully I'll make those changes over the weekend.

surfarcher

First Post
Feel free to add any...

I just popped in to let folks know I didn't die... Not quite. I was in hospital nealry a week with Pneumonia tho.

Starting to get back on my feet and hope to post the next cut of the cards but it'll likely be a few days.

Cheers!

SabreCat

First Post
Gumphrey: Yeah, part of my reason for posting was to see if anyone had any suggestions for new cards. There haven't been any yet, though. We have started to see repeats in my game (an encounter or two into 6th level at this point), though thankfully a lot of them are versatile. "Strange Bedfellows" or "This Reminds Me of That Time When..." aren't going to look at all alike played in two different situations by two different players. On the whole, I agree that this will have lived its life by the end of the tier. I will probably float the idea of graduating to an Aspect/Fate point system like Weem's for paragon tier.

Doug: Yikes, sorry to hear it! Hope you're feeling better, then. No need to rush work on a project like this, especially if your health is at issue!

tendrilsfor20

First Post
Checking in to say, this is an awesome idea. We've been running a campaign that is trying out all kinds of homebrew stuff to see what works (new ways to handle Elite/Solo save bonuses, new magical item rules) and the Fate cards were a big hit. The players liked being able to stuff and fun was had by all.

We don't really use XP (just level every 8 encounters/3 sessions or so), so the "Achievement" cards I tried to tie to getting another draw from the Fate deck. That went over like a lead balloon, so now it's just "draw 2 from the Fate deck at the beginning of the night, put 1 back."

The problem with the achievements (we felt) was that there was enough to keep track of in combat without 3-5 extra things to think about, especially when the reward tied to them (RP-encouraging fate cards) isn't nearly enough to go outside your normal combat role to achieve.

I'd really like some more Fate/"Roleplay or invent this" tyoe cards designed for inside combat. I already very publically use the "DM's best friend" to encourage players to try crazy-awesome stunts, but I don't know how to balance in-combat Fate cards so it's not just some dudes sitting around a table playing "make up whatever you want" instead of D&D.

Eric Finley

First Post
I like these. I might also mesh 'em with the ideas I'm working on to make Action Points and Item Daily Uses into card-dependent rather than milestone-dependent things.

One set I'd add... since they're adding XP, it would seem to me to be perfectly reasonable to make some of the benefits contingent on narrating failure instead of success. For example, your skill-roll ones... in addition to the listed rewards you could hand out, say, Elite XP (2x Monster) for narrating an enteraining failure on the roll. [The roll must be one which the DM asked you to make, not one you initiated yourself. But this whole system is high-trust environments only, anyway, so that almost goes without saying.] Lets your highly skilled characters fail once in a while, for a legitimate OOC reason.

Edited to add: Tendrils, once I get my card set put together I'll post it here... my plan is to have AP / Item Daily / Milestone stuff all tied to draws from a deck, which give a baseline bonus A but also have an RP or player-contribution trigger ("If you brought snacks") to grant an additional effect or larger bonus. That might do some of what you want; a given card is aimed to be worth about half an action point, on average, which might not be a bad level of reward for your players.

Last edited:

SabreCat

First Post
tendrils: Fantastic, you don't know how happy it makes me to hear that somebody outside my group actually used these in a game. ^.^ And welcome to ENWorld, by the way!

Achievements could probably use an overhaul. Go all the way and have 25-odd of them, like a 360 game, written on a sheet sitting at one corner of the table. Ding, achievement unlocked, score some points! Try for completion, get everything checked off before the end of the campaign, hah. As it is, they're sort of an afterthought to the twist cards. I may stop using them even in my own game.

Eric: Yes. Good call! A few of the cards have a greater reward for causing trouble for yourself/the party, that's a good extension of the theme. Mm... pad out the deck some more by making inverted versions of the various claim-success cards, or just add an autofail option to the extant cards?

Got a new idea for you. Virtue/Hubris system ala 7th Sea RPG. I'll spare you a run down of the system, incase you are already familiar with it, but I think that could fit with your system.

SabreCat

First Post
I barely got to play 7th Sea... I remember a ridiculously long character generation process (one of those laborious twenty-question things) followed by a pedestrian combat. Care to share what you think I should crib?

Remove ads