TSR Q&A with Gary Gygax

This is the multi-year Q&A sessions held by D&D co-creator Gary Gygax here at EN World, beginning in 2002 and running up until his sad pasing in 2008. Gary's username in the thread below is Col_Pladoh, and his first post in this long thread is Post #39.

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is the multi-year Q&A sessions held by D&D co-creator Gary Gygax here at EN World, beginning in 2002 and running up until his sad pasing in 2008. Gary's username in the thread below is Col_Pladoh, and his first post in this long thread is Post #39.

Gary_Gygax_Gen_Con_2007.jpg

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
StupidSmurf said:
Wow...Gary Gygax AND Frank Mentzer are here? Dang...I'm extremely glad I joined this site!

Pardon me while I slip into Adoring Fanboy Geek Mode (tm)

Gary:
Never had the pleasure of actually meeting you face to face despite the number of GenCons I've been to, but I, too, want to chime in with the hearty "THANKS!" for your contributions to those of us who love to use our imaginations in our spare time! ;) I've been a D&D player since 1978, and show no signs of slowing down. And, of course, all four of my kids play, as does my wife! Again, thanks for providing me with years of fun, enjoyment and imagination exercise!

OK, I'll calm down now....
Heh,

Think of me as just another fanboy of RPGs who can't resist writing a lot :heh:

I do appreciate the chance to be around all my fellows :D

Cheers,
Gary

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
Mighty Veil said:
(I am surprised no one has created "Gary Gygax Q&A, Part X" yet)

Hey Gary, I doubt you'll read this until you get back from TO. How was Toronto?

Please see this thread:
http://www.enworld.org/showthread.php?p=2530184#post2530184

I was reading an interview with you from a year ago. What did you mean by saying the following (quote below)?

Gygax: I've looked at them, yes, but I'm not really a fan (talking about 3e). The new D&D is too rule intensive. It's relegated the Dungeon Master to being an entertainer rather than master of the game. It's done away with the archetypes, focused on nothing but combat and character power, lost the group cooperative aspect, bastardized the class-based system, and resembles a comic-book superheroes game more than a fantasy RPG where a player can play any alignment desired, not just lawful good.

I understand and can see your point of view on most of your points. But there was one maybe you could expand on?

"It's relegated the Dungeon Master to being an entertainer rather than master of the game."
That has to do with how the many rules are written, but it really doesn't belong here ;)

Cheers,
Gary

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
gideon_thorne said:
*wry smile* Course the statement 'the way I and those in my group run the game.' is indicative.

Right, Peter. In all this is a topic that is inappropriate here IMO :uhoh: New D&D buffs are fellow gamers, and I signed a lot of their books in Toronto without a qualm, of course :cool:

Cheers,
Gary

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
Joël of the FoS said:
I also think 3e is run like a video game, especially the "actions" in battles ;)

I liked the casting time of spells and the strategy in planning your moves with this concept. If you were a mage, you were looking for short casting time when in front of an ennemy warrior. Now, a wiz has more power as he can cast nearly any spell in front of a warrior. The opportunity thingy is fun, but still wiz are advantaged.

Joël
Hey Joel!

Thanks so very much for the fine sampling of brews from your neck of the woods :D
Aurelien and Philippe of Alchemic Dream delivered them intact, and we enjoyed the Eau Benite with Jamiacan food--I had goat curry, and the beer made it much better. More after I sample the other two :eek:

My regards to your gaming team, and email me personally of you wish:

ggygax@genevaonline.com

Ciao,
Gary

gideon_thorne

First Post
Wish I could have gone to canada. That sounded like a good time. :)

Col_Pladoh said:
Right, Peter. In all this is a topic that is inappropriate here IMO :uhoh: New D&D buffs are fellow gamers, and I signed a lot of their books in Toronto without a qualm, of course :cool:

Cheers,
Gary

Frank Mentzer

First Post
wb, dude.

Had to go thru Chi on the return, eh? But doubtless too fatigued to revisit the olde haunts...

I like Toronto a lot. In winter you can go all thru downtown without going outside, hotel to mall to restaurant and back.

Take care of the leg and rest up.

F

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
Frank Mentzer said:
wb, dude.

Had to go thru Chi on the return, eh? But doubtless too fatigued to revisit the olde haunts...

I like Toronto a lot. In winter you can go all thru downtown without going outside, hotel to mall to restaurant and back.

Take care of the leg and rest up.

F
Hi Frank!

The ferry was booked until the late night crosing, so we swung around the lake...actually faster than the water crossing.

My leg was indeed most painful from the walking I had to do, but the con was worth it.

Cheers,
Gary

Status
Not open for further replies.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads