Q (and his enemies)

I recall that Q was apparently classified as a Time Lord. What beings in Star Trek could harm him other than other Q?

Could Guinan? They showed her preparing to defend herself against him. I forget which episode. Though I suspect she may have been bluffing, he looked genuinely concerned.

What creatures in Star Trek would qualify as cosmic? I recall a lot of powerful alien races in the original series.

I recall that Q was apparently classified as a Time Lord. What beings in Star Trek could harm him other than other Q?

Could Guinan? They showed her preparing to defend herself against him. I forget which episode. Though I suspect she may have been bluffing, he looked genuinely concerned.

What creatures in Star Trek would qualify as cosmic? I recall a lot of powerful alien races in the original series.
Guinan I believe has some defense against him but she's never done anything to show any level of power even similar to Q at all. They stated in the episode that they've battled over the years but I'm pretty sure it's more like she's thwarted his plans repeatedly.

From Star Trek, I think the Douwd Kevin Uxbridge likely has the best chance to fight a Q as he's demonstrated similar powers though I still believe his powers are vastly inferior to Qs. Maybe the Organians from TOS, or The Traveller, but again both those beings all seem Sidereal level with the Traveller to Low Demiurge level in the Douwd and maybe Organians.

So, no, honestly I don't think any being can do anything to stop, much less hurt Q. He's demonstrated repeated ridiculously overpowered abilities the entire series. He's a literal Time Lord and the closest thing to God in that show. I'm pretty sure no one can touch him.

Regarding Guinan, she unfortunately, they never explored what her powers were or what they could do. Which it unfortunate as I would have loved to see Whoopi Goldberg firing some divine blasts out of her hand. Whoopi Godberg lol.

Alzrius

The EN World kitten
Regarding Guinan, she unfortunately, they never explored what her powers were or what they could do.
I seem to recall some discussions somewhere about how, as per Star Trek: Generations, it was posited that her being in the Nexus is part of the reason for her supernatural insight, since it exists outside of conventional time (and space, I believe), i.e. that she has some sort of shared awareness between her in-universe and in-Nexus selves. Of course, that should also hold true for Captains Kirk and Picard in that case, but maybe her being an el-aurian has something to do with it (though in that case, it should also have held true for Dr. Soran, the antagonist from that same film).

I seem to recall some discussions somewhere about how, as per Star Trek: Generations, it was posited that her being in the Nexus is part of the reason for her supernatural insight, since it exists outside of conventional time (and space, I believe), i.e. that she has some sort of shared awareness between her in-universe and in-Nexus selves. Of course, that should also hold true for Captains Kirk and Picard in that case, but maybe her being an el-aurian has something to do with it (though in that case, it should also have held true for Dr. Soran, the antagonist from that same film).
Yeah she basically can feel the "Prime" timeline if that makes sense.

E-1000

Explorer
There was a radio episode where Q got his powers and personality swapped with Spock, and it was thanks to a being named Petuna, who is implied to be part of some "P continuum" that's above the Q continuum.

Hey FEBF buddy! :)

Coincidentally enough I have recently been examining the Q and similar sci-fi entities for a reason to do with the current books. I won't delve into the exact specifics but essentially...

I have made a few changes to the divine ranks and wanted to overlap the Kardashev scale with my system. The Q worked out at Kardashev scale 6 with Gallifreyans at 4. Been trying to find something I would consider Kardashev Scale 5...? The Xeelee also seem like a 6. I might still tweak the upper echalons on the system a tiny bit here and there.

dave2008

Legend
Hey FEBF buddy! :)

Coincidentally enough I have recently been examining the Q and similar sci-fi entities for a reason to do with the current books. I won't delve into the exact specifics but essentially...

I have made a few changes to the divine ranks and wanted to overlap the Kardashev scale with my system. The Q worked out at Kardashev scale 6 with Gallifreyans at 4. Been trying to find something I would consider Kardashev Scale 5...? The Xeelee also seem like a 6. I might still tweak the upper echalons on the system a tiny bit here and there.
Question, where are you getting your Kardashev scale? I wasn't familiar with the concept so I did a little google-fu and his scale only included types I, II, & III. It was then extended by others to include 0, IV, & V. But I haven't seen a type VI. Based I what I read type V can control the energies of a collection of universes. Q never seemed that powerful to me, I would think type IV at best (based on the scales I found).

Anyway, I like the concept of coordinating with the K scale (and I was unknowingly doing something similar), just curios what version of the scale you are using.

Now the tough question: any update on when you will be releasing your 5e book?

Howdy dave2008 mate! :)

Question, where are you getting your Kardashev scale? I wasn't familiar with the concept so I did a little google-fu and his scale only included types I, II, & III. It was then extended by others to include 0, IV, & V. But I haven't seen a type VI.

There is a lot of stuff on Youtube.

Some crazy people have extended it to KS 32, but it looks like a lot of technobabble without any real substance.

Based I what I read type V can control the energies of a collection of universes. Q never seemed that powerful to me, I would think type IV at best (based on the scales I found).

Past Level 3 there are a vast number of different scales. But as it currently stands for me.

1 Planet
2 Star
3 Galaxy
4 Universe
5 Multiverse
6 Super-Universe
7 Grand Universe
8 Master Universe; aka Omniverse (ie. Akashic Records)

I am not even sure I need to go as high as 8, 7 may be enough.

Now the first question is trying to differentiate between the beings controlling the energy and their technology. The second question is are these the average populace of a race or special characters. E.g. The Galactic Empire (in Star Wars) may be a Type 2 civilization, but there is a difference between random Coruscant civilian and Darth Vader for instance.

Once you get to the point where any tech is integrated into the being things get a bit tricky (and I may revise my ideas for the Q).

For instance, Type 2 civilizations have WMD that can destroy stars. But the individual characters cannot generally achieve that of their own volition. However, at some point tech becomes indistinguishable from magic and seems to get integrated into the character. E.g. the Q don't need a Tardis, and this massively spikes the power of the individual.

Apologies to FEBF, not meaning to derail the thread buddy. ;-)

Anyway, I like the concept of coordinating with the K scale (and I was unknowingly doing something similar), just curios what version of the scale you are using.

I only started thinking about this literally a week ago. I had an idea for 'something cool' and it required integrating the Kardashev scale into the new 30 Divine Rank hierarchy. So I haven't finalized that integration yet but its looking reasonably sound.

Now the tough question: any update on when you will be releasing your 5e book?

Still TBD (but likely not until the latter half of the year).

The Kickstarter will be two books: Core Rulebook (ie. Player's Guide) and an Epic Bestiary. Each will be around 256 pages (and these are not the only books - just the first two; I had too much information to convey to keep it to just two books. Lets get these first two finished before I start talking about the others though.

I find out in a few weeks when I am being made redundant - but its likely to be early July. From that point I envision a massive improvement in my progress rate. I might even have one of the books finished by July; but I want to release them together.

dave2008

Legend
Past Level 3 there are a vast number of different scales. But as it currently stands for me.

1 Planet
2 Star
3 Galaxy
4 Universe
5 Multiverse
6 Super-Universe
7 Grand Universe
8 Master Universe; aka Omniverse (ie. Akashic Records)
Honestly, 6, 7, & 8 seem largely redundant to me. Obviously you do you, but 5 multiverse, 6 Omniverse (Akashic Record) seems perfectly reasonable.
I only started thinking about this literally a week ago. I had an idea for 'something cool' and it required integrating the Kardashev scale into the new 30 Divine Rank hierarchy. So I haven't finalized that integration yet but its looking reasonably sound.
As always, I am interested to see what you come up with.
Still TBD (but likely not until the latter half of the year).
(y)
The Kickstarter will be two books: Core Rulebook (ie. Player's Guide) and an Epic Bestiary. Each will be around 256 pages (and these are not the only books - just the first two; I had too much information to convey to keep it to just two books. Lets get these first two finished before I start talking about the others though.
Sounds good.
I find out in a few weeks when I am being made redundant - but its likely to be early July.
That doesn't sound good.
From that point I envision a massive improvement in my progress rate. I might even have one of the books finished by July; but I want to release them together.
Hopefully it works out for you in one way or another.

Back to the Q, and this may be my lack of knowledge of the Star Trek lore (I'm only familiar with the shows for one, and primarily the original, next generation, & movies), but I don't remember any abilities where a Q seemed to harness the power of a multi-verse or a superverse (whatever that is).

Remove ads