• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Question about Desecrate

ThorneMD

First Post
One of the PC's in my game wants to cast Desecrate in an area to help the necromancer animate dead better. I'm not exactly sure if this would work so I come here to ask all of you.

The spell description stats that "an undead creature created within or summoned into such an area gain +1 hitpoints per HD." My question to everyone here is whether the effects last forever, only for the duration of the spell, or until the undead leave the desecrated area? If it matters, the necromancer wants to animate at least one skeleton.

Thanks for the help.

frankthedm

First Post
shilsen said:
There's no restriction in the spell about the bonus being temporary, so I'd say it's permanent.
I'd say it is instantaneous. Those HP won’t be dispelable.

That’s how one creates undead that actually have some HP to them. I’d caution against stacking this with Unholy Toughness though... Unless your players are a bunch of powergamers, then combo this with Unholy Toughness, Improved Toughness and a template.

Last edited:

Sejs

First Post
ThorneMD said:
One of the PC's in my game wants to cast Desecrate in an area to help the necromancer animate dead better. I'm not exactly sure if this would work so I come here to ask all of you.

The spell description stats that "an undead creature created within or summoned into such an area gain +1 hitpoints per HD." My question to everyone here is whether the effects last forever, only for the duration of the spell, or until the undead leave the desecrated area? If it matters, the necromancer wants to animate at least one skeleton.

Thanks for the help.

They're permanant. It's one of the standard necromancer tricks of the trade, really - have a bastion of evil that you do your undead horror creatin' in. Include an altar to your dark god du jour so as to double the desecrate effect, -then- raise 'em up.

Ultimatly it's not that big a deal. Despite having d12 HD, undead normally tend to be rather frail because they otherwise lack any bonus hp.

Sejs

First Post
frankthedm said:
It is like a d8 and a 14 con.

Exactly my point. The initial message is: hey look, they've got a big honkin' hit die type because undead are all tough and whatnot. Hard to kill what's already dead.

But in actuality, because the lack of available modifier per die, they end up coming out about as tough as .. well.. things that arn't really all that tough. It's an appearance vs function mismatch.

Part of the reason why I loved Unholy Toughness when I first laid eyes upon it. It started to bring that discrepency back into synch.

Remove ads