• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Question about Half dragon template

YourSwordIsMine

First Post
I know this has probably been asked before and I can not seem to find the answers I am looking for.

I am making a Human/Half-dragon character of total ECL 5. My question is this:

Does the human lose the racial specials such as +1 feat at first level, +4 Skill points at First level and the +1 per level after?

An answer would be very appreciated. Can you also specify the source the answer comes from so I can show the DM?

Thanks ahead of time.

frankthedm

First Post
YourSwordIsMine said:
Can you also specify the source the answer comes from so I can show the DM?

Thanks ahead of time.
If the DM chooses to say you don't get them, you don't get them.
Half dragon MM entry said:
A half-dragon uses all the base creature’s statistics and special abilities except as noted here.
No notes about losing anything at all.

Fieari

Explorer
Let me make it clearer. Without house rules, templates ONLY modify what is specified, and do not remove ANY other features of the base creature, in this case, a human. The source is right in the text of every template, as quoted above in Frank's post.

robberbaron

First Post
Apologies for coming to this thread late.

In MM the text under Half-Dragon says 'creature's type changes to dragon'. Dragons don't get an extra feat or skill points so half-dragons don't either.

javcs

First Post
robberbaron said:
Apologies for coming to this thread late.

In MM the text under Half-Dragon says 'creature's type changes to dragon'. Dragons don't get an extra feat or skill points so half-dragons don't either.
Type has nothing to do with it. Special qualities do. Changing type from humanoid to dragon doesn't effect your base creature's special qualities (except that it adds to them).
The relevant quote from the template is as frank quoted and this section, emphasis mine.

Special Qualities

A half-dragon has all the special qualities of the base creature, plus darkvision out to 60 feet and low-light vision. A half-dragon has immunity to sleep and paralysis effects, and an additional immunity based on its dragon variety.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads