• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Question for Mongoose--RE: Cinematic Battle System

Darrell

First Post
Hi, there--

I was just wondering...

Since you guys are doing the 'half-size' book thing now (with the 'Power Class' series), why not adapt the Cinematic Battle System from Crusades of Valour as a similar release? Just add in a way to determine the MC for an average military unit of a given race (human, dwarf, orc, kobold, etc.), and put out a simple mass-combat system in a self-contained product.

I bring it up because I really like the Cinematic Battle System, and think it would make a decent small stand-alone product.

Well, it was just an idea... :)

Regards,
Darrell King

Mongoose_Matt

Adventurer
Publisher
That is actually a very good idea! I'll give it some thought - thanks for that.

On a related note, The Quintessential Fighter is going to be reprinted (again) next week. However, this time we are revising existing rules and cramming in a whole load more. Those with the book already will be able to download the actual rules changes from the Mongoose FAQ. Those who have yet to see the book (it has always tended to sell out fast!) will now get a whole lot more for their money.

This new version of the book (which will likely be in the stores on both sides of the Atlantic by the middle of next month or so) can be easily identified by a large 'Revised and Expanded' legend on the front cover.

Gez

First Post
While we're speaking of the Q. Fighter, some questions.

What are the differences between the OMCS and this CBS ?

In the Q. Fighter, I've seen in the index mention of a gnome mobile fortress on the same page as the other war machines. But it is otherwise wholly absent from the book. Will it be included in the new edition ?

Finally, will the training rule for the combat style be a bit changed ? Like, adding an XP cost but removing the strange requirement that an interruption, now matter how short, in the training force you to start from zero. It just don't feel right, IMHO.

Mongoose_Matt

Adventurer
Publisher
OMCS & CBS - in a nutshell, the OMCS is a game mechanic adapting the D20 rules to handle battles between hundreds or thousands of combatants. The CBS is a roleplaying mechanic designed to allow thousands or tens of thousands of combatants fight. The CBS is very much rules-lite, whereas the OMCS is an attempt to get _every_ D20 rule into mass combat.

Gnome Mobile Fortress - I think you are the only one to have spotted that :) Likely as not, the Mobile Fortress will not make it into the new edition, as fun as it could be. There is way too much other cool stuff going in.

Fighting Styles - Yup, there will indeed be an XP cost for using fighting styles in the revised edition.

Darrell

First Post
Hi, Gez--

When Mongoose_Matt says, "The CBS is very much rules-lite," he isn't kidding---and that's exactly why I like it so much.

In a pitched battle, I can run normal combat with the PCs for several rounds, then 'zoom out' to the larger battle and (usually with a single d20 roll) see how the battle is going for the rest of the combatants, and then 'zoom in' again to pick up the PCs' ongoing battle.

In ths way, the CBS can quickly handle battles, and still allow for several types of eventual outcome:
* The PCs fight like rabid demons, killing everything they can reach, but still wind up on the losing side.
* The PCs have their asses handed to them, but their army ends up winning.
* Both the PCs and their army are victorious.
* The PCs and their entire army are defeated.

In short, the CBS is just the type of simplified mass-combat system I've been wanting for a long time.

Regards,
Darrell King

Gez

First Post
Mongoose_Matt said:
Gnome Mobile Fortress - I think you are the only one to have spotted that :)

That's because I have a +2 racial bonus against illusions, that allowed me to detect their was something hidden by an invisibility spell ;)

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads