• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Question on holy and unholy damage

Grog

First Post
Is it true that holy damage will never hurt someone who's non-evil, and unholy damage will likewise never hurt someone who's non-good? Or does this only apply to certain sources of holy and unholy damage, like weapon enhancements?

Is there a definitive rule on this?

Elethiomel

First Post
Grog said:
The best example is probably the Holy weapon enchantment in the DMG.
DMG said:
It deals an extra 2d6 points of damage against all of evil alignment.
It doesn't say this is damage type: Holy. I would assume it is the same damage type that the weapon otherwise deals.

lottrbacchus

First Post
true that it doesn't say "it deals an extra 2d6 of holy damage", as it does in other descriptions, but the effect is called holy. also, it explicitly says the damage is "against all of evil alignment".

to me, this is enough to say that "holy" damage only damages evil. and i'm not being sarcastic, because this seems to be distinct from "good". holy smite is a "good" spell but also damages neutral alignments.

Elethiomel

First Post
lottrbacchus said:
true that it doesn't say "it deals an extra 2d6 of holy damage", as it does in other descriptions, but the effect is called holy. also, it explicitly says the damage is "against all of evil alignment".

to me, this is enough to say that "holy" damage only damages evil. and i'm not being sarcastic, because this seems to be distinct from "good". holy smite is a "good" spell but also damages neutral alignments.
Well, you may assume that the Holy weapon enhancment introduces an entirely new damage type that isn't described anywhere else if you want to - it's your game. However, note that it changes game balance if you allow this damage to go through DR of all evil creatures regardless of whether they have additional DR like high CR demons and devils needing a material in addition to weapon alignment.

lottrbacchus said:

Flamestrike does 1/2 of its damage as Holy Damage.

As it is on the Druid's List I'd take that to mean Holy is simply a quatifier to add to the Damage for ovecoming DR Purposes.

Remove ads