• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Question on Poisons

Hitman187

First Post
When you apply an injury poison to a weapon how many hits can you get off with the weapon before the poison is gone? Is it one hit per application or multiple?

dragonis111

First Post
well it depends on the poison's description, I remembered that some magical poisons back in 3.5 lasted multiple hits, but it is 1 hit unless otherwise specified in the description of the poison.

paradox42

First Post
It is 1 hit unless otherwise specified, yes. This is why the Sticky Poison Alchemist Discovery is a cool ability- it lets you get a lot more bang for your buck, so to speak.

Hitman187

First Post
Damn, so unless you're an alchemist poisons seem like a waste; at least at higher levels. Just retired my cleric in a game and was making an inquisitor, hoping to make use of poisons in combat but one hit per application kinda blows.

SteelDraco

First Post
Poisons are better than they were in 3.5, but you do need some investment to use them well. Alchemists and rogues are the best at it. I know my archer has a small collection of poisons we found on an assassin, but I haven't bothered using any of them. Just hasn't seemed worth it.

hippononymous

First Post
Agreed. I was going to make poison use regular with my level 12 rogue, but even with the large amounts of money we get from loot, spending ~700 for a single dose of a good poison (ie, high DC) just isn't worth it, considering I can get a magic item that gives me an ability x/day that is just as deadly.

Even on limited use items your money might be better spent on, say, a necklace of fireball. There are even animal-summoning tomes that, yes, can be costly (16k for the best kind), but can do a lot more damage for you and are not single use (10x/week usage).

jefgorbach

First Post
Even with a high DC, poison remains subject to the victim's immunity and access to Neutralize Poison making it even less attractive/useful option, esp at higher CRs.

Remove ads