• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Question regarding the 7-Day RPG Contest

JamesonCourage

Adventurer
You seem angry. All I've done is waived something I was getting before and PMd the people who entered. It's far easier for everyone involved for me to just notifiy them and get their acceptance that way. If I don't hear back from them, I'll take that as non-agreement.
Yep, I accept the changes, and I knew what I was getting into before. Don't worry about me, folks. (Though I don't mind you worrying about others.)

Chris_Nightwing

First Post
I do think the new rules are better, if only because there's just the one person who might quibble over rights.

I might enter, and if I win, buy a lifetime gold subscription to the site for $1000? That would be the better prize, psychologically :p

Oh, and how about a catchy contest name?

Mike Eagling

Explorer
Why does anyone have a problem with this?

If you don't want to relinquish your idea to EN Publishing the don't submit it. If you feel your idea is amazing and deserves publication then don't submit it to this competition, submit it to a publisher instead.

If I get time I plan to stick to the spirit of the competition, namely writing an RPG in 7 days. I came up with a concept last night and hope to write it up between now and the weekend. Is it original? After a fashion. Is it groundbreaking? God knows. Do I care if Morrus takes it and becomes rich off my labours? Good luck with that.

I have had ideas for ground-breaking RPGs. I have stuff I've been working on throughout my years playing tabletop games. Do I think they'll one day earn me cash? Perhaps. We can all dream. Will I submit any of them to this competition? No, because if I truly believe these ideas are great and will make me rich then I'll develop them and try to get them published by more traditional means.

Do I plan to pluck an idea out of my imagination and cobble it together into something suitable for this competition? Yes. It's a week of my time with the possibility of winning some cash, seeing my idea become a real product, or (much more likely) getting a couple of people say what they think of it.

Where's the controversy in this???

jmstar

First Post
Why on Earth would anyone participate in this?

Self-publishing is a thing. If your work is good you can easily make $1000 and retain rights to what you create. Then you can make another $1000.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Cool contest. May I submit an adventure written for an open-source RPG, such as Zenobia or Risus?

I'm afraid not - sorry! You need to submit an RPG, not an adventure for one. Though if this goes well, I might consider an adventure contest later in the year.

NancyButtpeach

First Post
The contest seems fine. If Morrus can make my two hour idea successful, and give me some money or recognition, then I am fine with that... I also hope everyone likes my example of Grog the barbarian.

bladestalker

First Post
quick and possibly stupid question. You mentioned OGL and licenses. are you more interested in a RPG world or an RPG ruleset? I ask because I have an idea for a ruleset that is kind of an overlay on pathfinder and a world to go with it.

Also what if my submissionis rushed, sloppy but BRILLIANT. will you accept a winnin entry that needs polishing?

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
quick and possibly stupid question. You mentioned OGL and licenses. are you more interested in a RPG world or an RPG ruleset? I ask because I have an idea for a ruleset that is kind of an overlay on pathfinder and a world to go with it.

It's a competition for an RPG, not a setting. Your RPG can have an explicit or implied setting, of course (most do) but a setting on its own doesn't qualify. Someone has to be able to pick it up, read it, then play it.

Also what if my submissionis rushed, sloppy but BRILLIANT. will you accept a winnin entry that needs polishing?

I can't possibly predict in advance what entries I would be interested in publishing! However, your entry can be in any condition like - the voting public will choose!

Remove ads