• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Questions for Experience Goers.

Maximillian

First Post
So...

It would've been a cross-country flight, I'm not going. :(

But, being the canny groupmind that we here on the message boards are, maybe we can all post our most burning questions for the people who are going? I understand you won't have books to look at, and you won't have all the mechanics explained to you right away, but clearly if something happens, the people in charge will need to explain the *why* of things.

So, all of you getting a chance to play in these demos! Provoke some attacks of opportunity. Use weird combat maneuvers. Get into some grapples. Bend the rules a little bit and see what happens so we can take home as much info as possible.

Any ideas people? What can we learn with a small number of message board posters having access to Wizards' staff?

For example: there was a question on the thread about "Marking" as to whether you can mark an ally . Someone try and see what they tell you!

Anyone willing to play this kind of boundary pushing game to bring home the real dirt on the mechanics?

Anyone else have questions?

Snapdragyn

Explorer
Are there more than 8 classes in PHB1?

If so, we fully expect you to take a drunken WotC employee hostage & extract the name(s) of the super secret class(es) from them - with feathers if necessary! Feathers of dooooooom!

:p

sunmaster

First Post
I am looking at the events pages of DDXP and something I read there I cannot understand:
http://consupport.com/events/events.asp?Type=369&View=Play

This is an adventure, right? In the "classical" sense, with a GM and players and so on.
But this is also a contest? :confused:
How can you qualify in an adventure? You have to win something in this adventure? Or even you have to win this adventure??? :confused:
Since when do someone "win" in classical paper and pen rpgs?

Hussar

Legend
sunmaster said:
I am looking at the events pages of DDXP and something I read there I cannot understand:
http://consupport.com/events/events.asp?Type=369&View=Play

This is an adventure, right? In the "classical" sense, with a GM and players and so on.
But this is also a contest? :confused:
How can you qualify in an adventure? You have to win something in this adventure? Or even you have to win this adventure??? :confused:
Since when do someone "win" in classical paper and pen rpgs?

I would say that you aren't familiar with convention play.

Competitive convention play has been a mainstay of the hobby since the beginning. Most of the old 1e modules started as convention modules and frequently come complete with scoring systems for play at home. Essentially you have a number of DM's, all running the same module, each with similar numbers of players and a fixed time limit. The group which acheives the most goals wins the tournament and usually some sort of prize.

As far as questions go... I have to admit that I'm not sure. I have many questions, but, don't know where to start. Perhaps a justification for the change to 1-1-1 counting.

sunmaster

First Post
Hussar said:
I would say that you aren't familiar with convention play.
Competitive convention play has been a mainstay of the hobby since the beginning. Most of the old 1e modules started as convention modules and frequently come complete with scoring systems for play at home. Essentially you have a number of DM's, all running the same module, each with similar numbers of players and a fixed time limit. The group which acheives the most goals wins the tournament and usually some sort of prize.

I am gaming since 1989. And in this timeframe I went to several cons here in Germany. I never read or heard of competitve play which was held in a con.
Every day there is something to learn, everyday ...

Jorunkun

First Post
MichaelSomething said:
We live in the age of the internet and camera phones. I expect full pdfs of every character sheet and every book page in mere hours after the event.

Amen, brother! :)

I'd expect a fairly complete list of top surprises to have leaked within 24hrs, and in 48 I think we'll all be able to say with some confidence whether, on the whole, we will like 4e.

Seriously - I think the next 48hrs are an extremely critical moment and a bellwether for the success of 4e. If enough people come away excited today, it'll be good. And if it isn't, we will pretty much know.

This should be very interesting.

J.

EDIT: Punctuation.

TerraDave

5ever, or until 2024
I will probably be posting tonight or tomorow morning.

I have heard that the event is being held somewhere so...dungeon like...that cell phones and wi-fi are of limited use. And of course people will be busy doing con-stuff. But I am sure there will be an "info-explosion", even if it is delayed by a few hours.

Remove ads