• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Questions regarding falling damage..

RigaMortus

Explorer
I probably missed it somewhere, but what are the rules on falling damage as far as something falling onto someone? I know that if I fall 30 feet, I will take +1d6 damage per 10 feet I fall... But let's say I push a boulder onto someone from 30 feet up, how much damage would the boulder do to them? Is there any OFFICIAL rules as far as what type of roll I would need to make to see if I hit the inteded target? Attack rolls? Touch Attack roll? Opponent gets a Reflex save?

Does the object take damage too? And is weight a factor? If I push a 50 pound boulder on someone from 30 feet up, would that do less/more/same damage then if I pushed a 100 pound boulder on someone from 30 feet up?

I am looking for official rules here if possible... Maybe this is covered in DMG2 (I don't have it)???

Thanks

dcollins

Explorer
In core rules DMG. From the SRD in "WildernessAndEnvironment":

FALLING OBJECTS
Just as characters take damage when they fall more than 10 feet, so too do they take damage when they are hit by falling objects.
Objects that fall upon characters deal damage based on their weight and the distance they have fallen.
For each 200 pounds of an object’s weight, the object deals 1d6 points of damage, provided it falls at least 10 feet. Distance also comes into play, adding an additional 1d6 points of damage for every 10-foot increment it falls beyond the first (to a maximum of 20d6 points of damage).
Objects smaller than 200 pounds also deal damage when dropped, but they must fall farther to deal the same damage. Use Table: Damage from Falling Objects to see how far an object of a given weight must drop to deal 1d6 points of damage.

Table: Damage from Falling Objects
Object Weight Falling Distance
200–101 lb. 20 ft.
100–51 lb. 30 ft.
50–31 lb. 40 ft.
30–11 lb. 50 ft.
10–6 lb. 60 ft.
5–1 lb. 70 ft.

For each additional increment an object falls, it deals an additional 1d6 points of damage.
Objects weighing less than 1 pound do not deal damage to those they land upon, no matter how far they have fallen.

RigaMortus

Explorer
Thanks for the info! One thing I noticed though, is that the table and rules you listed is for objects that fall onto someone. What if a heavy creature (like an elephant) fell (or jumped) ontop of another creature? Any rules on that?

dcollins

Explorer
No, not specifically. In my game, I deal damage to the target as above, and damage to the attacker as normal falling damage.

RigaMortus

Explorer
I found this on the Wizard's board. It's a way to do 20d6 damage as a 1st level character. Seems kind of extreme, but is it legit?

Level 1 Half-Orc Cleric

STR 23: (+2 racial, +1 Feat of Strength, +2 Enlarge Person)
Dex/Con/Int/Wis/Chr: Doesn't matter
Domain: Strength (Feat of Strength)
Spell: Enlarge Person.
Skill: Jump, +15 (4 ranks, +7 Str, +4 Run)
Feat: Run
Equipment: Studded Leather + Armor Spikes (30.0 lb). Shield, Heavy Steel + Shield spikes (20.0 lb). Gauntlet, Spiked + Locked (6.0 lb). Gauntlet, Spiked + Locked (6.0 lb). Mace, Heavy (8.0 lb). Mace, Heavy (8.0 lb) Backpack (2.0 lb). Trail ration x10 (100.00 lb)
Weight: 4000.00 (320.00 lbs, + 180.00 lbs of gear, + x8 from Enlarge).

Cast enlarge + feat of strength and fall on opponent from at least 10 feet (all in the same round). Deal 20D6 (200.00 lb = +1D6 fall damage). So 4000.00 divided by 200 = 20D6 (Soft cap is 20D6 for falling object). Good chance to negate damage you suffer by making a Jump check DC 10 (roll 5 or above).

dcollins

Explorer
Reasonable observation.
- Those core falling object rules may be pretty shaky. (New to 3.x).
- Personally I play 3.0 to avoid things like that broken new enlarge spell.

Remove ads