QUESTS OF DOOM For D&D 5E Is Here!

Following up from their recent release of Fifth Edition Foes, the next part of Necromancer Games' D&D 5E-compatible books is here (at least the PDF version is - the harcover is available for pre-order). Quests of Doom is a book of twelve adventures for D&D 5E, coming in at 200 pages, and is part one of a two-part set. The hardcover version hits shelves in April.

Following up from their recent release of Fifth Edition Foes, the next part of Necromancer Games' D&D 5E-compatible books is here (at least the PDF version is - the harcover is available for pre-order). Quests of Doom is a book of twelve adventures for D&D 5E, coming in at 200 pages, and is part one of a two-part set. The hardcover version hits shelves in April.

12 Adventures for Fifth Edition Rules, First Edition Feel!

Necromancer Games is back: are you ready to rock the new edition old-school style?

We put together a team of some of the best adventure-writers in RPG history to ring in the new fifth edition rules with a host of adventures you’ve never seen before (and a couple that you have, but probably didn’t survive anyway). Volume 1 of Quests of Doom contains 12 adventures in almost 200 pages, by Ed Greenwood (Emeralds of Highfang), Bill Webb (Ra’s Evil Grin, Sorcerer’s Citadel, Hidden Oasis, Pyramid of Amra, Sewers of the Underguild), Matt Finch (Hidden Oasis-Temple of Thoth), Jim Ward (Deep in the Vale), J. Collura (Noble Rot), Michael Curtis (The Dead from Above), Casey Christofferson (Ra’s Evil Grin, Sorcerer’s Citadel, Irtep’s Dish), Skip Williams(Death in Dyrgalas), and Steve Winter (Bad Moon Rising).

If you have it, be sure to rate it! Click through for ratings and a link to buy the PDF or pre-order the hardcover.

5476e5492ba9c_full.jpg

Any chance you will do a review of one or more of these adventures? I would certainly find it really valuable. :)

I'm still reading through the adventures (bought both hardcovers) but I am highly impressed. I'm still pretty new to DMing and I've been disappointed with all the published 5E adventures I've seen previously (Rise of Tiamat, HotDK, frankly even the other Frog God adventure "The Wizard's Amulet) but these are really hitting the spot for several reasons:

1.) They discuss integration into the Lost Lands campaign setting but don't assume it; there are also guidelines on integrating into custom settings.

2.) Adventures are tactically flexible and allow for intelligent PCs, e.g. a Peryton nest that subtracts Perytons killed previously in random encounters and allows for the PCs to decoy away several Perytons before attempting to enter. Verisimilitude is probably what I'm liking here, but anyway I like the feel.

3.) Density. On one page in particular in the adventure Dragon Dreams there is enough material to keep my gaming group busy and interested for two months, if they chased down all the leads.

Up till now I've basically been constructing adventures on the fly, and I'm sure I'll keep doing that a lot, but these books have a lot of good material for me to steal, and I don't need to wade through fifty pages of blah blah blah about Severin and a pedestrian plot to summon Tiamat to find those usable nuggets of plot. These books are dense with information.

Conclusion: the books are expensive if you buy the hardcover, and money is worth different amounts to different people, so you'll have to make your own judgment there. But I think anyone who does buy a copy is going to be delighted with the value they get out of it.

Rating: Exceeds Expectations.

Reviews welcome and encouraged, that being said, Merric did assist a bit in editing, so someone else should do it!

Bill

ps--what do you guys think of my ant adventure!

Skimmed it, loved it, planning to use it. Don't know if the players will bite the hook but it's great to have it ready.

redrick

First Post
I'm looking forward to seeing some more in-depth reviews of these pdfs. I snapped up 5th Edition Foes when it first came out, and have generally been pleased with it. I've already used several of the monsters and I was reading through on my way home from work, thinking about possible creatures to employ in our next session. (By virtue of being a legal pdf, it's become my go-to "find-a-monster" manual, as I do most of my adventure planning on the subway. I'd sure love to see rpgs move to a format that supports arbitrary page sizes, for ease of use on smart phones and eReaders, but I'm sure that's a long way off.)

Anyway, end digression. 5th Ed Foes has been a good resource, but I use far more monsters in a year than I do adventures, so I'd love to hear a little bit more about these before I put my money down.

Blackbrrd

First Post
I just purchased both but I'm not receiving email confirmations from the site, once I do Ill let you guys know how good it is. I'm excited to check it out.
After you have paid, you get redirected to a page displaying your username/password which you can use to login and download the adventure. It took 1-2 hours before I got the confirmation mail.

I browsed through the adventures and my initial impression is a bit mixed. The quality of the artwork/maps has very varying quality, from functional and ugly to cool and functional. The artwork look a bit cheap for the most part. I think delivering a purely black-and-white pdf in 2015 is a bit of a let-down.

I haven't read any of the adventures yet and will do a review when I have. So far, the length of the adventures looks like it will make it pretty easy to slot any of them into an ongoing campaign without derailing it completely.

Prism

Explorer
I ordered a few days ago and payment has been taken but no emails either for password resets or with the pdf. Still a problem with Microsoft servers as I use live.co.uk?

Edit: seems to be a current problem but a quick support request on the website sorted me out - reading now

Last edited by a moderator:

painted_klown

First Post
Hey all, I was finally able to order a physical copy of both volumes today. I did download the PDF versions, but have been crazy busy around the house, so I have yet to actually sit down and flip through them. I have a feeling there will be a lot of fun contained in these two books.

:)

Less than five hundred until funding, nine days to go. I'm surprised that there are not more backers as there seems to be a lot of people asking for shooter adventures rather than the official mega adventures/ap. But I guess DM Guild is absorbing a bit of that.

Less than five hundred until funding, nine days to go. I'm surprised that there are not more backers as there seems to be a lot of people asking for shooter adventures rather than the official mega adventures/ap. But I guess DM Guild is absorbing a bit of that.

Wait, what? Funding for what? If there's a followup, can you post a link? I'd buy a sequel.

I'm increasingly interested in OSR-type adventures because I'm realizing that there's a LOT of institutional knowledge out there on how to build really good adventures, about ten times better than what WotC publishes. I can of course reconstitute my own adventures by effort and by perusing OSR blogs, but I was pleased enough with the last Quests of Doom that I'm willing to invest in a sequel to see what it has to teach me about adventure design, even if I never get around to actually running any of the adventures.

Remove ads

Remove ads