• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D (2024) Quick Question: Beyond and One

Tales and Chronicles

Jewel of the North, formerly know as vincegetorix
Do you think there's any chance material bought now on Beyond will be updated (integrally or à la carte) with 2024 stuff or will a new purchase be required?

I just gave up and decided it may be time to invest a little more in electronic versions of games to save some storing place, but since I'm really interested in what the playtest proposes so far, I'd prefer to avoid paying twice for a PHB.

It was probably discussed somewhere in the flood of info when the first playtest came out, but I cant find it.

grimslade

Krampus ate my d20s
At best, I could see a discount on the 2024 versions. I, too, do not see anything but full price regardless of prior purchase.

Kobold Stew

Last Guy in the Airlock
Supporter
A new purchase will be required almost certainly. As I said in a thread over the summer, this really takes the wind out of my (Spelljammer) sails, when there can be no guarantee (regardless of claims about [intended] backward compatibility) that any books released in the next two years will have an active shelf-life beyond that as part of the most current version of the game.

Tales and Chronicles

Jewel of the North, formerly know as vincegetorix
I think they should at least hurry and make the playtest's options usable on the builder!

I cant believe they made the playtest stuff ''available'' for BG 3 and not the character building interface they now own (it's been a while since UA stuff was made usable on the builder, no?)!

Anyway, I dont mind that much to wait for a time, but it seems like a missed opportunity to make playtesting and feedbacks easier to gather.

MNblockhead

A Title Much Cooler Than Anything on the Old Site
It'll be like Mordenkainen's Tome of Foes. You'll need to buy it. Old, deprecated content that you already own will still be available (and if you have a GM account you can share with your players) but will not be available for new purchases. I am sure they will have promotional deals, but these will likely be physical+digital bundles for the new books, like they did with Dragon Lance. Maybe they will have a deal for existing customers to entice us to "upgrade". If you are patient they run some good deals at various times throughout the year. But I'm terrible about that. I want them when I "need" them and seem to always pay full price. It did take advantage of the Dragon Lance physical book+digital book+board game bundle. Hope its good! :)

MarkB

Legend
They've clearly stated that a design goal of 1D&D is to remain compatible with existing 2014 content. They can't do that if they make that content unavailable, so automatically updating it is unlikely.

Remove ads