• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D (2024) Quick Question: Beyond and One

SkidAce

Legend
Supporter
Every time I see "Legacy" next to one of my monsters in a supplement I bought, I feel....

..whats the word...typing organically here....slighted? Left behind? Like its insinuating I am using an old inferior product (in their mind it is, cause their is a new and improved one).

Slightly annoying at the moment...but if I stayed with 5e and the whole system was tagged like that...sheesh.

MNblockhead

A Title Much Cooler Than Anything on the Old Site
Every time I see "Legacy" next to one of my monsters in a supplement I bought, I feel....

..whats the word...typing organically here....slighted? Left behind? Like its insinuating I am using an old inferior product (in their mind it is, cause their is a new and improved one).

Slightly annoying at the moment...but if I stayed with 5e and the whole system was tagged like that...sheesh.
I feel special and entitled.

Oh, you want to read Volos? Guess you have to join my campaign so I can share with you. Nyah nyah!

Tales and Chronicles

Jewel of the North, formerly know as vincegetorix
Yeah for now I'm building my own PHB in pdf with the released playtests. I'll keep it updated, so maybe the end result wont be that far from what we'll get in 2024.

I wonder what they'll do with the basic rules/SRD, since they are free to use on Beyond. They'll probably let you choose which edition version of 5e you'll be using for chargen, right? It'd be strange if the free SRD is still free to use and One' SRD is behind a paywall.

Yeah for now I'm building my own PHB in pdf with the released playtests. I'll keep it updated, so maybe the end result wont be that far from what we'll get in 2024.
back about 6 years ago I was working at a company that gave us supervisors all full access to Adobe editor (and no I didn't need it for the job) and I joked (and kind of wish I had) about useing my down time to combine all of our house rules into a PHB pdf

Tales and Chronicles

Jewel of the North, formerly know as vincegetorix
back about 6 years ago I was working at a company that gave us supervisors all full access to Adobe editor (and no I didn't need it for the job) and I joked (and kind of wish I had) about useing my down time to combine all of our house rules into a PHB pdf
Were I a little more patient, I'd put the playtests into GMbinder or Homebrewery and print them at Staples when finished.

I nearly did the same some time ago with the 2014 playtest.

Clint_L

Legend
This has already happened; Monsters of the Multiverse is just Volo's and Mordenkainen's updated and combined. On DnDBeyond, those are now listed as "legacy" content but they still work just fine. Eventually I updated just to get access to a few new things, but it was not at all a problem to keep using the old stuff. Basically, I just got a new option, if I wanted it.

Similarly, new adventure books have been quietly updating aspects of the game, such as alignment, for awhile, without muss or fuss. I expect that this is what will happen with the new PHB, etc., as well. Everything will still work if you use the old books, or a combination of old and new books, and no one will really care except the pedants who get fussy about everything anyway.

Edit: like, I've been keeping up with the OneD&D materials, and would my game break if someone used this new version of the Ranger/Hunter while other players used classes/subclasses from the 2014 PHB? No, it would not.

UngainlyTitan

Legend
Supporter
This has already happened; Monsters of the Multiverse is just Volo's and Mordenkainen's updated and combined. On DnDBeyond, those are now listed as "legacy" content but they still work just fine. Eventually I updated just to get access to a few new things, but it was not at all a problem to keep using the old stuff. Basically, I just got a new option, if I wanted it.

Similarly, new adventure books have been quietly updating aspects of the game, such as alignment, for awhile, without muss or fuss. I expect that this is what will happen with the new PHB, etc., as well. Everything will still work if you use the old books, or a combination of old and new books, and no one will really care except the pedants who get fussy about everything anyway.

Edit: like, I've been keeping up with the OneD&D materials, and would my game break if someone used this new version of the Ranger/Hunter while other players used classes/subclasses from the 2014 PHB? No, it would not.
Mostly agree. I think that the classes will work unless people are very picky about intra party class balance and spotlight issues.
The rules are not, that is the stuff in the rules glossary, pick one version or the other. I would do the same for feats, personally I would go with the playtest feats.

MNblockhead

A Title Much Cooler Than Anything on the Old Site
This has already happened; Monsters of the Multiverse is just Volo's and Mordenkainen's updated and combined. On DnDBeyond, those are now listed as "legacy" content but they still work just fine.
Well, in terms of mechanics sure. But Volos is one of my favorite 5e books. I loved the format. A more deep dive into the lore of certain monsters, with a sample lair, some new lair actions and variants, along with the standard monster list and rules on playing some of the "monsters" as PCs. All the lore stuff is gone.

I was surprised when Volo's came out that there were so many complaints about the format. For players who just want the stat blocks with minimal flavor text, Mordenkainen's is great (and I like the newer stat block format for monsters), but I'm glad I can still access Volo's on DnD Beyond and am very glad I have the physical book with the excellent alternative cover.

If they were to just remove Volos from DnD Beyond, I would have been much more bummed out than having them simply retroactively make changes to the core books and minor changes to some of the adventures to address complaints. I'm glad I still have the ability to pull up and read all the flavor text available in Volo's but am a bit saddened that those who didn't buy it will not be able to access it.

I have no issues with them marking a book as "legacy" and giving you the option to filter out "legacy" content, but why not let people buy it? It was already there and prepped. And because it is still within the family of the current "evergreen" edition, I doubt they are going to make it available in DMs Guild in PDF format like they have done with material from older editions. So it lives in a kind of limbo where you can no longer buy a digital version of it.

Anyway, this is why I buy physical copies of the books I like the most.

Remove ads