• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Quick question: does the prohibition on online play affect your playtest?

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
As you probably know, online play of the D&D Next playtest is currently prohibited. I'm curious; could you please give me a quick (but polite!) shout in this thread if that affects you or your group? It'd be interesting to see how many people are legitimately affected by this.

If you aren't affected because you would have no plans for remote playtesting either way, no need to comment unless you'd like to.

Thanks!

Crazy Jerome

First Post
Possibly.

Without the requirement that every playtester register, it wouldn't. We'd have enough players locally to playtest at the table, which would be our preference. With that requirement, I might still be able to put together an online playtest group from some that live further away, can't make every session, but are more likely to be willing to register. But I can't definitely state either way.

Charwoman Gene

Adventurer
Well, I had to cancel my pbp Caves of Chaos game in these forums.

I have no meatspace group right now, so I can't test.

Last edited:

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
For the record, it affects me. I've been having Plane Sailing Facetime/Skype in to our playtest sessions from England. That's now prohibited.

IronWolf

blank
Yes. This affects my plans for playtesting.

The most viable option for my group to playtest was to do it via Google Hangouts and TableTop Forge. Partially because one of our former group members was interested in playing 1000's of miles away. The other due to our schedules. We would have been much more likely to work in a virtual game.

Our group is pretty well established and have played various iterations of D&D since Basic D&D. So a good amount of experience to draw on and receive feedback from.

There would have been potentially 6 folks in our playtest including DM.

Chris_Nightwing

First Post
Well I certainly missed that little bit of information when I glanced over the rules (I was much more concerned with what form of discussion was allowed).

I suppose I will abandon my IRC playtest then. I've found no D&D players out here so far.

Kaodi

Hero
I just posted a new thread more or less on this very same topic. Having been denied online play, I am quickly reaching the point where going it alone is just getting too boring.

mudbunny

Community Supporter
It affects me. My home group has some people in it who have absolutely no desire to play anything other than 3.5, so I was planning on getting some maptools/other digital playtime in.

Kaodi

Hero
For the record, it affects me. I've been having Plane Sailing Facetime/Skype in to our playtest sessions from England. That's now prohibited.

You are a pretty high profile guy, and clearly have been involved up to this point; I would bet you could get a written exemption if you asked for one.

OnlineDM

Adventurer
As the OnlineDM, yeah, this affects me. I do have an in-person group that I'll be testing with, but I also have an online group that I would really like to test with.

Remove ads