• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Quirky Food Habits

AIM-54

First Post
sniffles said:
And he smashes potato chips up onto hamburgers occasionally.

My best friend does that. Only without the smashing really. He puts them on like you would pickles or lettuce. He also considers Ranch dressing a condiment, like ketchup or mustard. And yes, he puts it on his burgers, on occasion. I blame his Alberta roots, but he's gotten my other two best friends hooked on it.

I'm still weirded out by it, though I do like Ranch dressing...on salad.

John Q. Mayhem

Explorer
Some of my siblings do the chips-on-burgers thing.

Ranch dressing is a condiment :)

EDIT: Just looked at that Wikipedia link, and I'll be dashed if we don't eat fry sauce, too :) Except we call it tartar sauce, and often put in some mustard. We pretty much only make it for fish sticks and similar foods.

Darth K'Trava

First Post
Richards said:
I always eat a piece of pie backwards, starting with the crust (which is arguably the least-tasty part of the pie) and working my way back to the tip - that way, the last bite is theoretically the best tasting.Johnathan

You sound like James T. Kirk and pizza.... :lol:

Darth K'Trava

First Post
Queen_Dopplepopolis said:
Just thought of another weird one (my father-in-law does this, too).

I cannot STAND milk that even borders on cool - it must be very, very cold. As such, I'll frequently put an ice cube in my milk so that it stays nice and cold. That gets me LOTS of strange looks.

Not to mention, the fresher the better. I'm already lactose intolerant as it is.... and milk near the date can mess me up more than usual... :uhoh:

Azul

First Post
Queen_Dopplepopolis said:
Smarties!

Those are called Rockets here (they're a Halloween staple here in Canada) and apparently just about everywhere else but the US. I think it has to do with the fact that outside the US, the name Smarties is usually used for a Nestle (originally by Rowntree I think) candy which resembles flatter M&Ms. I think it is originally a British candy but it is pretty common anywhere in the Commonwealth and in places like Japan.

When a Canadian or British poster refers to Smarties, he means these:

http://www.nestle.com/Our_Brands/Chocolate_Confectionery/Smarties/

Rockets (US Smarties):
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smarties_(Ce_De_Candy)

Non US-Smarties:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nestlé_Smarties

I think it's a case of two seperate products being trademarked in different jurisdictions under the exact same name. As a result, the US brand had to use a different name outside the US since Rowntree/Nestle beat them to it elsewhere. Meanwhile, Nestle doesn't seem to sell their Smarties in the US.

I have to admit that when I was reading about people dissolving Smarties into 7UP, I was imagining the chocolates and the mental image was pretty revolting. Dissolving the sour candies still sounds kind of nasty but I can picture kids doing it.

Azul

First Post
John Q. Mayhem said:
Mmm, I love butter on pancakes and such, and am not particularly fond of maple syrup...it's too thin and sweet. It's good in small quantities, though, so you can taste the butter and pancake.

I expecially like pancakes with lots of butter and brown sugar. Got the idea from Farmer Boy, one of the Little House on the Prairie books.

Maple syrup comes in different grades. The darker syrups are boiled down longer, making them thicker and most intense in flavour (and yes, sweeter).

As an old stock Quebecois, I'm of the opinion that a proper hearty breakfast should be drowned in maple syrup... the ham, bacon, eggs, beans... you name it. And you dip your toast in the egg yolk-bacon fat-maple syrup mess... yum! Of course, I usually only have such a breakfast as a special treat or on holidays. Way too many calories for a desk jockey.

Torm

Explorer
ssampier said:
I agree, but I can't stand the taste of watered down milk (one the reason I can't stand the taste of 1% milk or less).
Take a glass mug, run it under the faucet but don't leave any water in it, and stick it in the freezer. Half an hour or more later, you have the perfect receptacle for milk. Or tea. Or anything else you want to drink cold. :)

I know - "duh." :p

Steve Jung

Explorer
John Q. Mayhem said:
EDIT: Just looked at that Wikipedia link, and I'll be dashed if we don't eat fry sauce, too :) Except we call it tartar sauce, and often put in some mustard. We pretty much only make it for fish sticks and similar foods.
I always thought tartar sauce was relish and mayo.

Darth K'Trava

First Post
Torm said:
Take a glass mug, run it under the faucet but don't leave any water in it, and stick it in the freezer. Half an hour or more later, you have the perfect receptacle for milk. Or tea. Or anything else you want to drink cold. :)

I know - "duh." :p

Or in your case, beer. ;)

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads