Quirky Food Habits

devilbat

First Post
Rel said:
I take the empty coffee cup and pour in a bit of creamer first. Then I add a half a pack of sweetener. Then (and only then) do I pour in the coffee.

But this isn't done for the pure "quirk" factor. It's practical because the churning of the coffee automatically mixes the creamer and sweetener without the need to stir it with a spoon. This saves me from having to undertake the monumental task of getting a spoon out of the drawer, stirring and then putting the spoon into the dishwasher.

And believe me, that's a hell of a lot of effort before I've had my first cup of coffee.

I do the same thing, for the same reason.

The only other quirky thing I do is smell everything before eating it. I think this stems from getting a very bad case of food poisoning as a child. I want to make sure it's not rotten before eating it.

Darth K'Trava

First Post
der_kluge said:
You and my wife would get along swimmingly. She does the exact same thing. Her argument is that some foods will get cold, and she wants to eat them all first. Like, if she has french fries, she'll often eat all of her fries before they get cool before eating the sandwich. If I make a salad at home, she'll save it for last, since it's already cold, and there's no hurry to eat it.

I do that too. But then most places have sorta warm fries to start with. But they are eaten first before the sandwich. Cold fries sucketh.

Crothian

First Post
Rel said:
One that I get asked about once in a while is how I pour my coffee. I take the empty coffee cup and pour in a bit of creamer first. Then I add a half a pack of sweetener. Then (and only then) do I pour in the coffee.

I do the same for my tea

Infiniti2000

First Post
Rel said:
One that I get asked about once in a while is how I pour my coffee. I take the empty coffee cup and pour in a bit of creamer first. Then I add a half a pack of sweetener. Then (and only then) do I pour in the coffee.
That may be practical, but I need to be able to pour in the creamer to judge just the right color of the coffee. It's impossible to do that using your method. :)

reveal said:
For example, if I have a chop, potatoes, and green beans, I'll eat the chop first, completely, then finish off the potatoes, and then finish the green beans.
My wife does the same thing and is teaching our 18-month son to do it! How annoying!

About the only quirk I have is that I hold out my pinky when I drink a beverage, any beverage (even a can of soda). My two brothers and I saw the Three Stooges do it when we were really young, and we just kept doing it while growing up. It's now just a habit that I can't break. :heh:

GlassJaw

Hero
Queen_Dopplepopolis said:
So - I realized this morning when I was pouring myself my daily bowl of Frosted Mini-Wheats that I flip over all of my mini-wheats so that they are frosting-side-up before I pour in the milk. If a mini-wheat ends up frosting-side-down, the milk dissolves the frosting and that makes me angry!

Do you have any quirky food habits?

Hmm, I actually don't find that quirky at all. I do the same thing. I mean everyone knows you have to preserve the frosting as long as you can!!

I put mustard on my baked beans.

ssampier

First Post
I have a strange side-dish habit. If I have a plateful of meat, vegetable, and rice, I'll usually eat the meat first, then the rice, and a little vegetable, leaving quite a bit on my plate. If the meat is mixed with the rice and vegetables like stir-fry, I'll eat the whole thing.

If I'm eating ice cream, I often blow on the spoon before I take a bite, the reasoning being I'm trying to warm it up. :eek:

ssampier

First Post
Rel said:

But this isn't done for the pure "quirk" factor. It's practical because the churning of the coffee automatically mixes the creamer and sweetener without the need to stir it with a spoon. This saves me from having to undertake the monumental task of getting a spoon out of the drawer, stirring and then putting the spoon into the dishwasher.

And believe me, that's a hell of a lot of effort before I've had my first cup of coffee.

I used to do this with chocolate milk. It's easier to guess the amount of chocolate sauce you are using when the glass is empty.

As for coffee, I find the stirring sloothing for some strange reasoning.

WayneLigon

Adventurer
If there are mashed potatoes, they are always best when mixed with either whole corn or green peas. Rarely will I get gravy on mashed potatoes, especially if it's white gravy.

Breakfast is the time for ritual, though :) My favorite breakfast consists of very crisp bacon, white toast, and scrambled eggs. A bite of eggs, followed with a bite of bacon. Or bacon and a bite of toast. It helps the blandness of the eggs and cuts the intense taste of the bacon, so it all balances out. A bit of dry toast is saved for last as a palate cleanser if no fruit is available.

Tinker Gnome

Explorer
My brother has to eat his french fries before he even touches his hamburger. I just eat very fast, usually when my parents are just sitting down to eat I have already finished.

Torm

Explorer
I, at the ripe old age of 30, still try to separate my foods unless it is something specifically meant to be eaten together. To the extent that at a buffet restaurant, I will use some relatively flavor neutral substance like rice or mashed potatoes to "build" a separator tray on my plate before getting anything else.

I have been accused, by my more Trek-knowledgable friends, of being Romulan. ;)

Remove ads