• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Races of Destiny,Chameleon, floating feat?

Sil

First Post
A Question for the reasoned and wise among you. And the rest too, but be brief...

Can an epic character with 2 levels in Chameleon use the floating feat to select an EPIC feat the character qualifies for?

Thank you, in advance, for your thoughtful responses.

Thanee

First Post
No.

Characters gain epic feats in the following ways:

At 21st level, and every three levels thereafter, the character may select an epic feat in place of a nonepic feat.

Each character class gains bonus epic feats according to the class description. These feats must be selected from the list of bonus epic feats for that class.

Epic feats can only be chosen with bonus epic feats (i.e. bonus feats gained from epic classes and 21st+ character levels).

Normal bonus feats, even if gained after 20th level, cannot be used to gain epic feats.

Bye
Thanee

Sil

First Post
Thank you.

"Each character class gains bonus epic feats according to the class description. These feats must be selected from the list of bonus epic feats for that class."

So even tho the class ability allows you to change this feat every day, and you may choose "any feat you are qualified for", "any feat" does not mean epic?

I point this out because this class has bonus feats, but it seems this class ability would not be subject to this limitation, as it says "any feat", not the typical "pick a feat form the list.

Thanee

First Post
Yeah, it's not an epic class. There's one big seperating line between epic and nonepic stuff. Epic stuff can only be gained from other epic stuff. ;)

Bye
Thanee

Sil

First Post
The above Quote is where you can get bonus Epic feats from by taking class levels.

But is this a bonus feat in that sense? I do not think it is a bonus feat of the non epic class. I think this is a class ability that allows one to select any one feat the character qualifies for, at the beginning of each day. Very different than a bonus feat from class levels, and not subject to restrictions of such?

I am not trying to be trying, just trying to understand how these things connect.

Thanee

First Post
The above quote specifies, that "Characters gain epic feats in the following ways: ...".

It's a list of ways to gain epic feats.

I don't see the Chameleon on that list. Hence, it is not a way for a character to gain an epic feat.

It also does not say so in the description of the Chameleon, hence it is not an exception from the general rule.

Bye
Thanee

Thanee

First Post
Nope, that does not include epic feats. Epic feats are not just feats, they are epic feats.

Exceptions have to specifically allow epic feats. Without the term 'epic' there, that's not given.

Same as you cannot pick epic fighter feats when you gain levels in nonepic fighter, although you can select fighter feats and epic fighter feats also have 'fighter feats' in their name.

If you do not accept the above-quoted limitation for gaining epic feats, then everyone can simply pick up epic feats even at nonepic levels.

How about Blinding Speed, all you need is Dex 25 to qualify, or Damage Reduction, which has only Con 21 as a prerequisite. Dire Charge is also good, a fighter can have that at 1st level already with the mere prerequisite of Improved Initiative!

There's no general rule, which says, that you can gain epic feats only after 20th level.

There is a general rule, which says, that you can only gain epic feats from the bonus feats every three levels, starting at 21st, and from the bonus feats gained from epic classes, though. This is the limitation, which disallows these feats to be taken before epic levels are reached, because only some bonus feats can be used to gain epic feats, and those happen to be impossible to obtain before 21st level.

Bye
Thanee

Remove ads