[Races of Stone] Mountain Plate - Typo?

The Souljourner

First Post
xazil said:
Also if you get mithril then the armor only counts as normal heavy armor.

Umm... are you sure about this? I thought the section in Mountain Plate just said something to the effect of "you get the benefits of mithril (better armor check and max dex), but it doesn't reduce it to medium armor". I don't remember it saying anything about removing the drawbacks (could be wrong, though).

BTW, interesting point - the example Dwarven Defender in the back of the book has Mountain Plate and moves 15' (2/3, not half). My guess is, they playtested the 1/2 movement, and decided it was too restrictive, and then forgot to take it out of the table. This is especially likely, since the drastically reduced movement isn't mentioned in the description of the armor, just the lack of running and reduced movement even for dwarves.

-The Souljourner

Gnimish88

First Post
I wouldn't trust the Example Characters too much...

The usual array of errors seems to plague Races of Stone, since a casual reading of only a few of the prestige classes turned up that the sample Runecaster (Sorcerer/Runecaster)has the heavy armor feat, but not the light and medium armor feats.

Is it too much to ask that the people making the examples at least make sure they are following the rules of character creation?

The Souljourner

First Post
While I agree that sample characters do not define the rules, they do use the rules that are supposed to be in the book, and the dwarf is using a reduced movement rate, just not wholely reduced, implying the writer knew that Mountain Plate is special. I think the real telling indicator is the fact that the extra slow movement isn't described anywhere. If they really intended it to be slower, they would have put something in the description of the item.

-The Souljourner

Ferrix

Explorer
so, from what I'm gathering the mountain plate is an armor bonus of +10 correct?

The mechanus gear from planar handbook is weighed at 75 lbs, cuts speeds in half and that's it and it is a +10 armor bonus, with a 0 max dex and a -10 armor check. However there's no other restriction on it, other than the handsome sum to get it (1750gp). You can run, albiet at the standard x3 for heavy armor. And even dwarves? The mechanus gear doesn't do that.

And what is battle plate, I imagine +9 armor bonus, +1 max dex?

Must get Races of Stone...

I'm with you, that weight must be a typo or something, unless you are wearing an engine block for armor, i don't see that weight ever being tossed around. Although D&D weights are really funky as is.

The Souljourner

First Post
Yeah, sorry... Mountain Plate is heavy armor, +10 armor bonus, 0 max dex, 225lbs, Battle Plate is heavy armor, +9 armor bonus, +1 max dex, 125lbs. Both require the Exotic Armor Proficiency feat (basically like the exotic weapon proficiency feat).

Both are expensive, though mountain plate is significantly more (don't remember exactly... only remember it's over 3k for mountain plate).

-The Souljourner

Scion

First Post
paying a feat to get a bonus and a bunch of penalties seems wrong somehow. Does this armor do anything else? Protect vs mind effects? hinder line of effect? something?

At least with an exotic weapon you tend to get something back. It is usually an improvement somehow with no real other drawback then having to spend a feat.

Trading a feat for a point or two of ac doesnt sound too bad, especially since it is an armor bonus and has a lower max dex and more penalties to skills. But then tacking on reduced speed, a huge weight, and who knows what else..

I'd rather just tag some flavor text onto my character about wearing extra thick armor but without any actual game effects other than some extra weight.. but this?

Am I missing something? I dont have the book, but there has to be a reason to use this armor somewhere.

What is its arcane spell failure? Dark quartz armor indeed ;)

The Souljourner

First Post
Nope... no other benefits. +10 armor bonus. That's it. Armor check penalty is -10 (I think), and spell failure is 60%. I think it's funny... with this and a tower shield, you can actually have 110% spell failure... shouldn't that wrap around or something? :)

I agree about the feat... and for the most part, it's true. There's battle plate, which is just full plate with a one better armor bonus. Weighs 125 pounds, which is ridiculous, but at least there's no other drawback.

BTW, did anyone notice the weight on a steel tower shield? 100 lbs! Dayum!

-The Souljourner

Last edited:

Remove ads