Rage feats

B4cchus

Explorer
Here is the most recent incarnation of this feat:

Fury of the wolverine [General]
Prerequisites: Rage ability
Benefit: Every time you suffer in the same combat damage equal or greater than half of your total hit points you instantly fly into rage.
This effect only takes place if you are currently not sleeping, dying or unconscious or the damage you receieved removes this condition (or all if you suffer from more than one of these conditions).
This does not decrease the number of times you can enter rage per day.
You may try to ignore this effect by making a will save DC 10+ the damage from last attack you recieved.
You do not gain extra benefits if you are already in rage.
Normal: You can only enter rage a number of times equal to you daily used of this ability.

Hi folks,

I'd like to propose these two feats to give the barbarian some extra options except the standard gighter-feat trees.

More rage [General]
Benefit: You can rage for two additional times per day.
Normal: The number of times you can rage is determined by your barbarian level.
Special: You may gain this feat multiple times. Each time you gain two additional rages per day.

Longer rage [General]
Benefit: All your rages lasts for 5 extra rounds.
Normal: Your rage lasts for 3 + con modifier rounds.
Special: You may gain this feat multiple times. Each time you extend the time your rage lasts for an additional 5 rounds.

Last edited:

Rystil Arden

First Post
Do you want these both to be accessible at level 1? I would put a BAB req on More Rage because 3 Rages at level 1 seems a bit much, but I have no problem with a Ftr7/Bbn1 who wants more than 1 Rage taking it.

Bront

The man with the probe
Not that I have a big problem with these, but they are similar to published WoTC material, which is something we've tended to avoid. However, I've no objection to them other than that potential hurdle.

B4cchus

Explorer
As far as the BAB requirement i have to disagree. I don't think A level 1 barbarian with one of these feats is that much overpowered. If others agree with the need for a BAB restiction i'll think it over.

I am aware that these feats are similar to WOTC published content. I'll think of redisigning them more origional. Anybody has any ideas? Current;y i'm thinking of a feat tree, giving more bonuses to rage along the way...

Erekose13

Explorer
I think that RA is more looking at human barbarians who could have 2 of those feats at 1st. I'd like to see a feat tree that might be interesting. I'm open to similar things as some of the stuff that WotC has put out in non-SRD books is pretty core. Extra rage, extra smiting, added spell slots (which we've already borrowed/tweeked). But some LEW flavor and a little something to set it apart would be nice.

Someone

Adventurer
Erekose13 said:
But some LEW flavor and a little something to set it apart would be nice.

The feats are so mechanical that´s difficult to alter them without making them very different to what they are intended. I can think on different mechanics, but the feats aren´t the same any more:

Fury of the wolverine [General]
Benefit: Every time you suffer in the same combat damage equal or greater than half your total hit points you get an extra rage use the same day. You can´t have more rage uses than your normal daily allotment
Normal: The number of rages per day is fixed and you can´t increase or get them back.

Increasing anger [General]
Benefit: Every time you suffer hit point damage equal to three times your character level while in rage the rage´s maximum duration is increased by 1 round.
Normal: Your rage lasts for 3 + con modifier rounds.

edit: not that I´m proposing them (though if you like them...) but showing how different they are when you add another mechanic to such simple feats.

Rystil Arden

First Post
I agree--but the thing I'd change is to make the Wolverine one give a Rage now instead of later. It doesn't really make sense that getting hurt now makes him angry at some later time of his choosing, but it does make sense that getting smacked for lots of damage could knock him into an extra rage right now.

Someone

Adventurer
Well, it gives the rage right when he´s hurt. If the barbarian has run out of rages and is hurt, he gets another he can use right then.

Rystil Arden

First Post
Someone said:
Well, it gives the rage right when he´s hurt. If the barbarian has run out of rages and is hurt, he gets another he can use right then.
Right, but she might also just not use it and then use it several fights later, which is weird. It would probably be best if it becomes active right then (perhaps as an Immediate action that can even happen during an opponent's turn to help her stay on her feet)

Remove ads