• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 4E Raiders of Oakhurst Reloaded -- Free 4E Adventure (Ennie Nominated!)

Jack99

Adventurer
Thanks for the info. Unfortunately it sounds way too complicated for my limited computer skills. Too bad, as that kind of map was just what I would be able to make.

Cheers

tovokas said:
Thanks for your 'above and beyond' efforts Olgar! (And everyone else who's contributed :) )

While preparing to run the adventure for my group, I whipped up a color version of the environs map that might be of use:

That is most fantastic! The color balance and icons are beautiful -- you managed to capture the sort of map I was thinking of in my head when I was sketching.

Xorn

First Post
tovokas said:
I created the icons for various mapping projects over the years... I think they were originally constructed in Corel Draw, then rebuilt in Photoshop, and finally re-created from scratch as textured/shaded vector shapes in Xara Xtreme. Every month or two I build a few more...

I used to create the land-colored backgrounds, rivers, etc, in Photoshop - but of late I've been doing it all in Xara. (A fine program indeed...)

I have Fractal Mapper, and have tried other mapping programs, but for this style of map I find it faster/easier to just use a general purpose graphics program like Xara. (Once you've worked out your methods) This map came together in about an hour.

Thank you - glad you liked the map. :)

Wow, that is... humbling. :) Fantastic map! Well, looks like I don't need to make THAT map. Hey, you wanna do the villages? work towards the crag from your end?

Xorn

First Post
No doubt. My Crag in progress feels so amateur hour now, LOL!

This is a great relief though--I was really dreading trying to do an overland map. (I do lots and lots and lots of top-down battlemap style maps, but I only just got CC3, and have only made one attempt at an overland map so far, which wasn't shabby--but nothing remotely like THAT.)

Nahat Anoj

First Post
I'm running this tomorrow ... can't wait :)

I have to repeat how pleased I am with this project, Olgar, Xorn, and tovokas. In addition, it shows a lot of initiative and a "just do it" mentality that's very impressive IMO.

beverson

First Post
tovokas, do you do any freelance work? and more importantly, would you be up for helping out some cartographically challenged individuals in puttting together a campaign map for their home game?

tovokas

First Post
Thanks for the kind words all. :)

I'm a designer by profession. I've had a few projects over the years that I managed to work in some mapping... but in general it's just been for my campaign and own enjoyment. I guess the most 'public' mapping I've done is for the Burning Sky Mapping Competition.

Jonathan, I'm also impressed by the 'just do it' community mindset of many here. Considering how much time Olgar and Xorn must have invested, I thought the least I could do was to squeeze a few hours working up some maps into my schedule!

Beverson, I do limited freelancing/hourly work. If you have an idea, just send me an email. :)

Remove ads