• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 4E Raiders of Oakhurst Reloaded -- Free 4E Adventure (Ennie Nominated!)

CleverNickName

Limit Break Dancing (He/They)
Any word on the artwork yet? I've got the document ready to be converted into a single PDF again, but I heard that there might be some illustrations to add.

tovokas

First Post
CleverNickName,

I'd mentioned to Olgar I'd love to help - though it's likely easiest now if you just put the PDF together, and I could perhaps do something nice for the cover page once everything is finalized. :)

Tovokas

FalconGK81

First Post
Nightscale

First off, thanks Olgar and everyone else who worked on this, it is really REALLY awesome. I am going to run this module as a 4e demo at my Role-Playing club soon. I'm really excited to give 4e a good trial, and this adventure is EXCELLENT! Thanks so much.

One thing I was wondering, is Nightscale really suppossed to have 280hp??? That seems incredibly high for a lvl 4, even if it is a solo. Was this a typo of some type perhaps? I don't see how the D&D XP characters could ever deal that much damage against such a high AC/FORT/REF/WILL.

Again, thanks so much for all the effort everyone put in to this, I'll try and let you all know how it goes when I run it.

Xorn

First Post
FalconGK81 said:
First off, thanks Olgar and everyone else who worked on this, it is really REALLY awesome. I am going to run this module as a 4e demo at my Role-Playing club soon. I'm really excited to give 4e a good trial, and this adventure is EXCELLENT! Thanks so much.

One thing I was wondering, is Nightscale really suppossed to have 280hp??? That seems incredibly high for a lvl 4, even if it is a solo. Was this a typo of some type perhaps? I don't see how the D&D XP characters could ever deal that much damage against such a high AC/FORT/REF/WILL.

Again, thanks so much for all the effort everyone put in to this, I'll try and let you all know how it goes when I run it.

Well, Mike Mearls has mentioned that the defenses might be 2 points too high on the fan-Nightscale. (I'm not sure if Olgar adjusted it or not.) But also bear in mind--Nightscale is supposed to stomp them. It allows them to experience the Death & Dying rules. She probably won't just destroy them, but expect her to win the encounter. You might be surprised though--I had a group get her down to 18 HP before the managed to flee! A lot of it depends on good tactics (and some lucky rolls don't hurt) and maybe some praying.

With action points and daily powers, the group that nearly killed her did like 85 damage or something obscene like that in the *first round*.

Yep, NS has 280 hp (I haven't adjusted the defenses down two points in the current version, though I considered it -- DMs might consider that to soften her up). NS is supposed to stomp the party if they stand and fight and aren't particularly smart about it. I don't recommend pulling any of her punches.

On the other hand, if they fight well, they only have to bloody her to get her to flee, so it isn't quite as bad as it looks. If she flees and the party survives, you have a recurring villain for later. As long as the party defeats the hobgoblins and kobolds, they've thwarted NS's plans, so it isn't strictly necessary to defeat her directly, either.

@ CleverNickName & tovakas -- guys, please do assemble a pdf. Thanks for the help!

FalconGK81

First Post
Olgar Shiverstone said:
Yep, NS has 280 hp (I haven't adjusted the defenses down two points in the current version, though I considered it -- DMs might consider that to soften her up). NS is supposed to stomp the party if they stand and fight and aren't particularly smart about it. I don't recommend pulling any of her punches.

On the other hand, if they fight well, they only have to bloody her to get her to flee, so it isn't quite as bad as it looks. If she flees and the party survives, you have a recurring villain for later. As long as the party defeats the hobgoblins and kobolds, they've thwarted NS's plans, so it isn't strictly necessary to defeat her directly, either.

@ CleverNickName & tovakas -- guys, please do assemble a pdf. Thanks for the help!

Ok, sounds good. I understand that her purpose is to trounce the PCs, especially if people are running the adventure as a 4e preview, since I doubt the players will be attached to their pregen characters. I just wanted to make sure, because compared to some of the D&D Minis stat cards I've seen 280 HP looks way too high. Like the Stats for the level 7 (IIRC) Red Dragon has less than 200 HP. But Blacks may just have really high HPs, as I know they are trying to make the dragons feel much different from each other.

I'm ready to run this for a demo for my RPG club, so it should be loads of fun. Thanks so much for providing it for us!

CleverNickName

Limit Break Dancing (He/They)
Sorry about the delay. I have created two .PDF files of the Raiders of Oakhurst adventure. The first one is the text document only, without any maps or images. The second one is just the maps, without any formatting or text whatsoever.

I tried to format the images smoothly into the document, but something is wrong with my configuration (or the software I am using; MS Publisher. :eek: ) because either the filesize is enormous (>50MB) or the images are too grainy to read the text.

I hope that someone out there with a better rig can work with these images...or at least clean the maps up and add the text to them so I can stuff them into the document properly.

tovokas

First Post
Clevernickname/Olgar...

I've added a quick cover to the 'content' PDF, and appended the maps to the end of the file.

I think the formatting in Klaus's PDF version of the original adventure is just lovely - it would be fantastic if it could be mirrored in the body of the expanded adventure, but I realize 38 pages is a bit heavier load than 7! :)

t

Remove ads