• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Raising Vorpal Weapon's Threat Range

nick

First Post
Can a vorpal sword be enchanted with keen edge, and will it also be further benifitted by using a scabbard of keen edges? Imp. critical should work, but was wondering about other ways of increasing the threat range.

gfunk

First Post
Going strictly by the rules whenever you get a critical hit (regardless of the source) and you verify the threat, then your foe's head comes off.

However, the Sage has heartily endorsed the house rule that vorpal weapons keep their original threat range.

James McMurray

First Post
Also, remember that Vorpal weapons should technically be artifacts, considering that their prerequisites are impossible to achieve without research. They require Death Spell which doesn't exist in the core rules. Many DMs house rule this to mean any spell with the Death descriptor, but that won't be happening in my game.

Heck, my party is 14th-18th level, and they've never even seen a vorpal weapon. there are a few in the Return tot he Tomb of Horrors though, one of them they have a chance of getting.

James

kreynolds

First Post
gfunk said:
Going strictly by the rules whenever you get a critical hit (regardless of the source) and you verify the threat, then your foe's head comes off.

Yup.

gfunk said:
However, the Sage has heartily endorsed the house rule that vorpal weapons keep their original threat range.

Actually, he endorsed that for all weapon enhancements that function on a critical hit.

Here is his reply to me about this...

Howdy Skip,

I have a question regarding burst enhancements, vorpal enhancements, etc. These enhancements activate when you score a critical hit. My question is this: Will the Improved Critical feat or the Keen weapon enhancement, which both increase the threat range of the weapon, also apply to the burst/vorpal enhancement?

Yes (but if you want to bar that in your game you won't get any grief from me).

There seem to be two sides to this argument.
1) The burst/vorpal enhancements use the end-result threat range of the weapon (i.e. they take into account Improved Critical or Keen).

This one's technically correct.

2) The burst/vorpal enhancements use the original unmodified threat range of the weapon.

This one probably is less problematical in the long run.

Skip Williams
RPG R&D

kreynolds

First Post
James McMurray said:
Also, remember that Vorpal weapons should technically be artifacts

Technically, no they shouldn't. In fact, not at all.

James McMurray said:
considering that their prerequisites are impossible to achieve without research. They require Death Spell which doesn't exist in the core rules.

The entry of Death Spell is in error. It should be Circle of Death.

EDIT: I should mention that I use Finger of Death in my games, as I use a custom version of Vorpal that fixes all of it's problems.

James McMurray said:
Many DMs house rule this to mean any spell with the Death descriptor, but that won't be happening in my game.

You need to take a look at my version of vorpal then. :)

Last edited:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads