Random Treasure Generator (Version 2 now available)

Praesul

First Post
Appleseeth, first off great stuff. Very impressive. I was working on a random treasure generator for the Table Smith program but you were a little more dedicated than me, I only made it to level 10 with coding in the treasure parcels, and decided to take an extended break from working on the file. I have one request, and I really have no idea if there is a way to implement this with your program, but it's something I love from Table Smith. Is there any way you could make the individual parcels a link which, when clicked, would regenerate that individual parcel? This is really handy when you're generating something and there's just one parcel you don't like because maybe it has a weapon or effect which doesn't fit the particular situation. Think that's possible?

Asmor

First Post
Appleseeth:

Inspired by your efforts, I've just made my own random treasure generator. It's of course only available online, so I provided a link to yours for people looking for an offline treasure generator.

Quartermaster

elwynbdas

First Post
good stuff

a) can you add the retail value of the magic items in the output?
b) it was discussed earlier to offer a general shop inventory generator, that includes non-magic items. Basically a tool to tell PC's what they find when they browse through stuff on a bazaar, magic items shop etc.

Primitive Screwhead: I'm not sure what you mean by "dumping". If you just want bucketloads of treasure packets, you can just copy them out of the textbox and paste them to some text file. If its something else, I'll need some more detail.

Nevermind :)

I dug through the XML files and answered my own question.
Excellent work!

A-W-E-S-O-M-E !!one11eleven11one!!!! Great job!

My only suggestion - if possible - would be to place the PC classes in there as well and build a more class-friendly table. I often have problems with my PCs not giving me a damn "wishlist" even though I ask for it all the time. This would help with not having to look up all the different weapons/armor for each class. Like I said, I don't know if it's possible with the way you've built it or not. The other thing to take into consideration is how many different proficiencies there are, so maybe this would be a moot point. Anyhow, just some food for thought, maybe someone can expand upon it a bit more with some more suggestions on how this would be implemented.

Thanks for all your hard work, it is appreciated.

Appleseeth

First Post
Just popping in to let you guys/gals know I appreciate all the comments. Currently I'm busy implementing a source selection system (say that 5 times fast), so that people can select which sources they want magic items from, like the PH, AV, FRPG or Dragon issues. But I'm having to make some upgrades to my XML, which is taking up most of the time.

Once that's running, I expect to have a weapon discrimination selector in there as well, as it shouldn't be too different.

After's that's all up, my plan is to input the FRPG, AV and any new Bazaar articles, if any, they put up. Then I'll look at implementing any other larger changes. But please, keep suggesting them. Depending on the complexity, they could end up in the next version already. I think I'll call the next one 1.5.

Guyanthalas

First Post
Is the XML coding put in entirerly by hand, or is there a text parser that can automate this process?
The reason I ask is that I can see putting in new magic items to be tedius at best. Considering that there are lots (1,000+?) new magic items in adventurer's vault, potentially there is much work to be done.

Appleseeth

First Post
Is the XML coding put in entirerly by hand, or is there a text parser that can automate this process?
The reason I ask is that I can see putting in new magic items to be tedius at best. Considering that there are lots (1,000+?) new magic items in adventurer's vault, potentially there is much work to be done.

Unfortunately the current technique I use is by hand. If someone knew some way to rip books from PDF to some text parsable format, it wouldn't be too difficult to get at least most of the information in there. There would likely still be some stuff that would have to be done by hand though. So I guess it is kinda pointless. I do most of it copy-paste style, I usually just have to change 2 fields.

On another note, I have the basic source selection functionality working. I'd just like to get some opinions on what it should be selecting on? Just the magic items (Like Magic, Terror, Trollskin), or on armor (Cloth, Plate) and weapons (Sling, Bow, Longsword) too?

My current thoughts are to make source a factor for weapons and magic items, but not armor. But what do you gals/guys think?

Guyanthalas

First Post
Unfortunately the current technique I use is by hand. If someone knew some way to rip books from PDF to some text parsable format, it wouldn't be too difficult to get at least most of the information in there. There would likely still be some stuff that would have to be done by hand though. So I guess it is kinda pointless. I do most of it copy-paste style, I usually just have to change 2 fields.

Having the books in PDF format (which have been OCR'ed) is a pretty easy thing to obtain, and i'm sure that they will be torrentable soon after release for all source material we do not have our hands on. (Bleeding Heart Plug: Please buy the books if you plan on downloading the PDF).
After that, I looked at the magic item table list (top of page PHB 228) and I think that contains all the information that you would need to parse with the exception of the exact page of the source material. You could cut/paste the whole table into a text file and have a program parse all the data you needed right?

1 Magic +1 360 Any
2 Dwarven +1 520 Chain, Scale, Plate
2 Razor +1 520 Scale
3 Curseforged +1 680 Chain, Scale
3 Delver’s +1 680 Any
3 Eladrin +1 680 Chain
3 Fireburst +1 680 Cloth
3 Sylvan +1 680 Cloth, Leather, Hide

Read one line at a time
Rip Lvl, name, Enhancement, Price, Categorytype

I'm still not exactly sure how you're category types work from reading the XML files, but I'm pretty sure you probably do ;).

As far as selectability goes, I personally don't care which items get listed if i can filter out the weapon/armor types. Having noone in my current party wearing Hide for instance, would be nice to not have Magic Hide generated in parcels. Same would go for weapon types.

Breaking Thought: If you reeeeaaaaalllly wanted to get fancy, you could do a crazy variable select. No Hide <+3, No scale <+2, No Mace <+3, or you could do it by level base:

You have one cleric in the party who favors the mace, and is the only one who can use a mace. His mace is currently a level 4 magic item. It will be very unlikely that he will want a new mace that is level 4 or lower.
Obviously this is much more complex, but hey.. i'm a dreamer. :devil:

Appleseeth

First Post
Thanks for pointing that out Guyanthalas. I had completely forgotten about those tables. So I guess as long as the other books have it formatted so, then it should all be good, just have to make a quick parser.

And yes, I do plan on buying the books. It's such a chore to look through a PDF while playing and also the player's need something to look through. That's why I have a gigantic duotang full of stuff I printed out for my players. I do DM from my laptop though.

Remove ads