• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Random Treasure Generator (Version 2 now available)

Asmor

First Post
Wow, this is incredible. I was looking to do something like this myself, but I've been well beaten to the punch!

I would like to be able to add the various items from the previous magazines, not just the Bazaar article.

One other request I have is the ability to have a function button that would output a full listing of all the items, viewable by the same options as the random items..

Am I asking too much? :)

I've got items from all the magazine articles and every book I've been able to get my hands on in my database. Treasure Trove lets you find specific items, Quartermaster generates random ones.

Appleseeth

First Post
I think Asmor's programs are better suited to those needs wagenejm. My original plan for the Random Treasure Generator was to stick to the major sources of magic items, like Bazaar, PH and AV. I know I hate hunting around in books, especially PDFs for one item. Also printing out every item can either be served again by Asmor's Treasure Trove/Quartermaster, and if you want to have some XML fun, by reading the XML files in the Treasure directory.

On the other hand, if you'd like to add some items of your own, send me an email and I can give you instructions, based on the types of items you'd like to add.

wagenejm

First Post
Thanks Asmor and Appleseeth.. I've added bookmarks for both your home pages. I had thought to write my own programs, but I can certainly bow and make way for those who have already done so.

Of note, Appleseeth, I was toying with your random treasure generator and got an unhandled exception error when I selected level 30 and generated treasure. I'm not sure it matters much right now as I doubt anyone's level 30 :) but I'm sure you would want to know.

wagenejm

First Post
Also, what is the interest level in me adding in some more treasure parcels with the consumables included? Such as 100 gp, a 500 gp gem and a 3rd level whetstone?

Since I have already come up with the idea of randomly substituting consumables for gold in some parcels, I've definitely got some interest in doing this. Since you've had the idea, it seems you have interest as well! ;)

Appleseeth

First Post
wagenejm, could you tell me what exactly were the circumstances of the unhandled exception? Does it happen any time you try and make a level 30 treasure, or just once. What was the size of the party? Any information helps so I can track the bug down and kill it with prejudice. Bug fixes are always priority number one.

Also, could someone please post some parcels. Please.

Asmor

First Post
[sblock=level 10 parcel]1: [Level 13] Star of Corellon +3 (Adventurer`s Vault p. 86)
2: (1) 1000 gp fire opal, (1) 1500 gp gold ring with 1000 gp gem
3: (2) 100 gp moonstone, (1) 1500 gp silver tiara with 100 gp gems
4: 2500 gp
5: (3) 250 gp silver necklace, 50 gp
6: 500 gp
7: 2800 gp
8: [Level 14] Dragonslayer +3 Tratnyr (Player`s Handbook p. 233, Adventurer`s Vault p. 9)
9: [Level 11] Grasping +3 Trident (Adventurer`s Vault p. 70, Adventurer`s Vault p. 9)
10: [Level 12] Dwarven +3 Gith Plate Armor (Player`s Handbook p. 229, Adventurer`s Vault p. 7)[/sblock]

[sblock=level 20 parcel]1: [Level 23] Resilience Amulet +5 (Adventurer`s Vault p. 154)
2: (4) 15000 gp silvery cloak of astral thread, 1000 gp
3: 2 Potion of Vitality, 400 pp
4: (4) 15000 gp gold statuette with 5000 gp gems, 1000 gp
5: (4) 5000 gp diamond, 1 Potion of Vitality
6: 14000 gp
7: 700 pp
8: [Level 24] Soulforged +5 Legion Plate Armor (Player`s Handbook p. 231, Adventurer`s Vault p. 7)
9: [Level 21] Amulet of Protection +5 (Player`s Handbook p. 249)
10: [Level 22] Staff of the Iron Tower +5 (Adventurer`s Vault p. 106)[/sblock]

Tried to generate a level 30 parcel, but it crashed. All values/checkboxes were in their default state, except level, which of course was 30.

[sblock=Error]See the end of this message for details on invoking
just-in-time (JIT) debugging instead of this dialog box.

************** Exception Text **************
System.Data.EvaluateException: Cannot find column [armorName].
at System.Data.NameNode.Bind(DataTable table, List`1 list)
at System.Data.BinaryNode.Bind(DataTable table, List`1 list)
at System.Data.UnaryNode.Bind(DataTable table, List`1 list)
at System.Data.DataExpression.Bind(DataTable table)
at System.Data.DataExpression..ctor(DataTable table, String expression, Type type)
at System.Data.Select..ctor(DataTable table, String filterExpression, String sort, DataViewRowState recordStates)
at System.Data.DataTable.Select(String filterExpression)
at randomTreasureGenerator.ParcelMaker.getWeaponType(Int32 category, String& usedSource, String availableSources, String weapons) in C:\Users\Shawn\Documents\Visual Studio 2005\Projects\randomTreasureGenerator\randomTreasureGenerator\ParcelMaker.cs:line 676
at randomTreasureGenerator.ParcelMaker.getMagicItem(Int32 itemLevel, String sources, String weapons, String armor, String itemTypes) in C:\Users\Shawn\Documents\Visual Studio 2005\Projects\randomTreasureGenerator\randomTreasureGenerator\ParcelMaker.cs:line 455
at randomTreasureGenerator.ParcelMaker.generateParcelOne(Int32 level, String sources, String weapons, String armor, String itemTypes) in C:\Users\Shawn\Documents\Visual Studio 2005\Projects\randomTreasureGenerator\randomTreasureGenerator\ParcelMaker.cs:line 69
at randomTreasureGenerator.Horde.generateParcels() in C:\Users\Shawn\Documents\Visual Studio 2005\Projects\randomTreasureGenerator\randomTreasureGenerator\Horde.cs:line 157
at randomTreasureGenerator.Form1.randomButton_Click(Object sender, EventArgs e) in C:\Users\Shawn\Documents\Visual Studio 2005\Projects\randomTreasureGenerator\randomTreasureGenerator\Form1.cs:line 104
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.OnClick(EventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.Button.OnClick(EventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.Button.OnMouseUp(MouseEventArgs mevent)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmMouseUp(Message& m, MouseButtons button, Int32 clicks)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.ButtonBase.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.Button.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.OnMessage(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)

************** Loaded Assemblies **************
mscorlib
Assembly Version: 2.0.0.0
Win32 Version: 2.0.50727.1433 (REDBITS.050727-1400)
CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.NET/Framework/v2.0.50727/mscorlib.dll
----------------------------------------
Random Treasure Generator
Assembly Version: 1.0.0.0
Win32 Version: 1.0.0.0
CodeBase: file:///D:/RPG/4th%20edition/software/Random%20Treasure%20Generator.exe
System.Windows.Forms
CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Windows.Forms/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Windows.Forms.dll
System
CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.dll
System.Drawing
CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Drawing/2.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Drawing.dll
System.Data
CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_32/System.Data/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Data.dll
System.Xml
CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Xml/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Xml.dll

************** JIT Debugging **************
To enable just-in-time (JIT) debugging, the .config file for this
application or computer (machine.config) must have the
jitDebugging value set in the system.windows.forms section.
The application must also be compiled with debugging
enabled.

For example:

<configuration>
<system.windows.forms jitDebugging="true" />
</configuration>

When JIT debugging is enabled, any unhandled exception
will be sent to the JIT debugger registered on the computer
rather than be handled by this dialog box.[/sblock]

This happened the first time I tried it. I tried it four more times, and it crashed three out of the five times.

Hambot

First Post
Thank the gods somebody did this!

This looked to be one of the big remaining chores in 4e - I always loved rolling for treasure because it gets my imagination running as to figuring out what encounter would create some truly whack job treasure roll. It also eliminates favouritism, the biggest problem with the default 4e system, where if you give one player EXACTLY what they want, others will get upset if they get a variation of their desire.

the Jester

Legend
Hmm, I can't seem to get it to run... When I unzip it I get a bunch of files but none of them will do anything. What am I doing wrong here?

Appleseeth

First Post
Hmm, not sure what to tell you there Jester. Just make sure you have .NET 2.0 or higher installed. You can check which version by going to C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework, or wherever folder you keep windows in. Random Treasure Generator.exe is the file to run it you're looking for. Otherwise you may want to try downloading it again and extract it somewhere else. Make sure you don't rename anything. Other than that, I'm not sure what to tell you.

Also, as a bit of an update, I AM working on including parcels with AV consumables, but its been slow going. Mostly because I've been spending lots of time playing Fallout 3. I do have the few bugs that have popped up fixed, but I prefer releasing big fixes. So I guess you guys can just hope I can tear myself away from my game for long enough to get the parcels done.

Remove ads