• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Ranged Feint?

mrtauntaun

First Post
The RAW and SRD read as such, emphasis mine:

Feinting is a standard action. To feint, make a Bluff check opposed by a Sense Motive check by your target. The target may add his base attack bonus to this Sense Motive check. If your Bluff check result exceeds your target’s Sense Motive check result, the next melee attack you make against the target does not allow him to use his Dexterity bonus to AC (if any). This attack must be made on or before your next turn.

Is there anything in a supplimental book that allows for a feint to work with a ranged attack?

mrtauntaun

First Post
Can you elaborate? I don't see how this gets around feints description in the RAW. Are having those ranks prereqs for another ability?

Camarath

Pale Master Tarrasque
What he means is if you are Hidden you can Snipe as per the Hide Skill which is kind of like Feinting.

"Sniping: If you’ve already successfully hidden at least 10 feet from your target, you can make one ranged attack, then immediately hide again. You take a –20 penalty on your Hide check to conceal yourself after the shot."

silvertable81

First Post
Sorry, the smart alleck in me just needed to let loose. If you're hidden from an opponent, they should be denied their DEX mod versus your attacks. This is the same end result as a feint. IMHO.

Shape D.

First Post
I've always allowed players to feint with a thrown weapon if they are NEXT to the person they are attempting to feint. I dont see why someone couldn't feint a dagger throw just as easily as a swing of an axe or sword.

Lee's Fortune

First Post
silvertable81 said:
Sorry, the smart alleck in me just needed to let loose. If you're hidden from an opponent, they should be denied their DEX mod versus your attacks. This is the same end result as a feint. IMHO.

What if there were no place to Hide? Could you still use Feint with a ranged attack?

StreamOfTheSky

Adventurer
It's technically not a feint (it's actually better), but it's what I used for my last rogue, who focused on archery. There's a feat in song and silence called "quicker than the eye". You make a bluff check against either sense motive or spot (forget which) as a move action. If the enemy fails, he is flat footed to your next attack. In any circumstance where getting one sneak attack is more important than a full attack action of normal attacks, it's great. Especially since, unlike with feinting, it's a straight opposed roll, no adding base attack bonus to the enemy's roll! Just get to dex 19 quickly. A hafling or elf can have that at first level.

Remove ads