Ranger caster level.

Aryes

First Post
What would the caster level of a first level ranger be? Zero or 1?

Particularly because of a 1st level Ranger using a scroll of Animal Friendship successfully, would he have:

0HD (non-caster as yet?)
or
1HD (caster level zero = 1/2 right?)
or
2HD (minimum 1 caster level?)

If there's a reference, that'd be great too.

Thanks

Aryes

First Post
Yet they can use items that contain spells from their casting list at first level. I guess my question is, is it possible to have an animal companion at first level if they use a scroll?

kreynolds

First Post
Aryes said:
Yet they can use items that contain spells from their casting list at first level. I guess my question is, is it possible to have an animal companion at first level if they use a scroll?

Yes. If a magic item of any kind contains a spell that is on your class spell list, no matter what level you or the spell are, you can use it.

Last edited:

Dr. Zoom

First Post
Rangers (and paladins) have no caster level until they reach 4th level. They do have a spell list. Here is the differance.

Scrolls are spell completion items. Since rangers have no caster level, they cannot use scrolls until they reach 4th level, where their caster level equals half their ranger level.

Wands are spell trigger items. Since rangers have a spell list, they can use any wand with a spell on their list, even if they do not have a caster level. This is just how wands work. They are not like scrolls.

Aryes

First Post
Not beat a dead horse but... how about a potion?

I may be misunderstanding Animal Friendship. The character in question is now a Rog1/Ftr1/Rgr1. The player is wanting an animal companion and wants to use a scroll.
Could this character have a Wolf companion?

Dr. Zoom

First Post
Rogues may take ranks in Use Magic Device. That is one way.

Anyone can use a potion. I don't think there is an animal friendship potion, though you could put one in your game, I guess.

Azger

First Post
Aryes said:
Not beat a dead horse but... how about a potion?

I may be misunderstanding Animal Friendship. The character in question is now a Rog1/Ftr1/Rgr1. The player is wanting an animal companion and wants to use a scroll.
Could this character have a Wolf companion?

From the SRD - Animal Friendship spell
The character can have animal friends whose Hit Dice total no more than twice the character's caster level

Since the character is not 4th level ranger he does not have a caster level, thus he cannot have any animal companions using the spell.

But he doesn't really need the spell to do this. He could try to domesticate a wolf and train it using the Handle Animal skill... or he can pay a character with enough ranks to provide him with a trained wolf...

kreynolds

First Post
Dr. Zoom said:
Scrolls are spell completion items. Since rangers have no caster level, they cannot use scrolls until they reach 4th level, where their caster level equals half their ranger level.

Damn. I always forget about scrolls. I hate scrolls. They always make a fool out of me...or do I do that on my own...

Remove ads