• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Ranger reaching tier 4

Tyler Dunn

Explorer
Has anyone heard of a ranger reaching tier 4 (level 17-20) after starting out from level 1? I'm just curious if its possible, as I have heard that the class is somewhat underpowered.

Salthorae

Imperial Mountain Dew Taster
It's certainly possible. And despite some glaring design flaws within the base class' features, it's not even all that weak aside from one subclass.
Treantmonk proved that even that class can do just fine next to the other ones, it just takes a bit more planning and care to get there than some other classes that can be "build proof" to a degree.

It's not so much underpowered as it can be mechanically awkward.
Yup. Half-spellcasting on top of Extra Attack is still a strong core package to have, regardless of how unsatisfying a lot of the other stuff is (i.e. Favored Enemy, Natural Explorer, Hide in Plain Sight, etc.).

Yup. Half-spellcasting on top of Extra Attack is still a strong core package to have, regardless of how unsatisfying a lot of the other stuff is (i.e. Favored Enemy, Natural Explorer, Hide in Plain Sight, etc.).

I mean, all the interesting abilities are in Hunter, but between Hunter and half caster, you really can put up pretty good damage numbers. It's just that outside of spellcasting, extra attack, and weapon style the core class is so situational. It's a hodgepodge of abilities that are just usually not that relevant. But none of them more so than Natural Explorer and Favored Enemy. Those two just never get good.

However, as I've said elsewhere, most classes are sub-par over level 11. Barbarian, Fighter, Cleric, even Paladin. With the exception of spellcasting and some subclass abilities, very few classes get abilities that are good, relevant, and interesting after level 12. At least, not until they reach level 18 or 20, and most of the capstones are not worth the other 8 levels of mostly garbage. Only Monk and Rogue really have good class abilities at higher level.

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
I mean, all the interesting abilities are in Hunter, but between Hunter and half caster, you really can put up pretty good damage numbers. It's just that outside of spellcasting, extra attack, and weapon style the core class is so situational. It's a hodgepodge of abilities that are just usually not that relevant. But none of them more so than Natural Explorer and Favored Enemy. Those two just never get good.

However, as I've said elsewhere, most classes are sub-par over level 11. Barbarian, Fighter, Cleric, even Paladin. With the exception of spellcasting and some subclass abilities, very few classes get abilities that are good, relevant, and interesting after level 12. At least, not until they reach level 18 or 20, and most of the capstones are not worth the other 8 levels of mostly garbage. Only Monk and Rogue really have good class abilities at higher level.

Beast Master has decent abilities at 11th and 15th level. Vanish at 14th level is decent too.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads