• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Ranger Remastered - Warlock options

ScuroNotte

Explorer
I like it

i too have made my ranger rework as a half warlock. Seems to be a popular trend...

I’ve had uses for an Intelligence (investigation) check as a bonus action before ( as part of the search action), but I’m curious what benefit one would gain from performing survival or perception check as bonus action.

@ScuroNotte, did you have a particular situation in mind for these?
Search incorporates both perception and investigation checks. It’s separating them so it’s less overwhelming
Perception bonus check is to spot/find your prey, especially if it has a bonus action to hide, and you still have an action.
Survival allows you to track if your prey escapes

Laurefindel

Legend
Search incorporates both perception and investigation checks. It’s separating them so it’s less overwhelming
Perception bonus check is to spot/find your prey, especially if it has a bonus action to hide, and you still have an action.
Survival allows you to track if your prey escapes
Oh yeah, I didn't remember the Search action allowed both Perception and Investigation.

Still, my feeling is that those 3 (perception, investigation, and survival) are relatively rare [edit] niche cases would be more appropriate [/edit]. Furthermore, Dash, Disengage, Hide etc. are actions. Making an ability check isn't an action. Well, not technically at any case. The Search action however, is an action and likely the one you'll take to search for an invisible opponent, spot a hidden prey, or track someone in combat. My suggestion would be to allow the Search action as a bonus action, and the DM can later decide whether it requires perception (spot), Investigation (locate), or survival (track).

Horwath

Legend
You would get talents at 9, 13, & 17.
Also in the archetypes/conclaves, what we did was the bonus damage given at 3rd level is applicable to each attack at 11th level (as the paladin’s improved divine smite). It’s slightly less damage output compared to spells Ranger in the beginning but it balances later with the extra damage At 11th level with no spell concentration worries. Also you gain other potential benefits such as evasion and wisdom or constitution saving throw proficiency

why no extra talents at levels 2&5, losing 1st and 2nd level spells is no small thing. I would say that with those 2 extra talents ditching spells would be a hard choice.

ScuroNotte

Explorer
Oh yeah, I didn't remember the Search action allowed both Perception and Investigation.

Still, my feeling is that those 3 (perception, investigation, and survival) are relatively rare [edit] niche cases would be more appropriate [/edit]. Furthermore, Dash, Disengage, Hide etc. are actions. Making an ability check isn't an action. Well, not technically at any case. The Search action however, is an action and likely the one you'll take to search for an invisible opponent, spot a hidden prey, or track someone in combat. My suggestion would be to allow the Search action as a bonus action, and the DM can later decide whether it requires perception (spot), Investigation (locate), or survival (track).

Because Search encompasses more than one ability check, i think it should be separated. I think WoTC did the same for a rogue in Xanathar ( I’m in quarantine so no access to my books). Also tells the player the strength of the feature

ScuroNotte

Explorer

Because Search encompasses more than one ability check, it should be separated.
why no extra talents at levels 2&5, losing 1st and 2nd level spells is no small thing. I would say that with those 2 extra talents ditching spells would be a hard choice.

My mistake. There should be an extra Talent at 2nd level to replace Spell casting.

Never considered an extra 5th level talent. Good point. What would you suggest. I would consider a Feature that is fixed as other choices would be very strong.

Horwath

Legend
Never considered an extra 5th level talent. Good point. What would you suggest. I would consider a Feature that is fixed as other choices would be very strong.

2nd level ranger spells are quite strong so I would not have a problem that spell-less ranger gets that talent from level higher list,

that is

at 2nd level: talent level 3 or lower
5th level: talent level 6 or lower
9th level: talent level 10 or lower
13th level: talent level 14 or lower
17th level: talent level 20 or lower,

but, you should downplay Tireless talent. it's too strong for 2nd level. adds too much HPs, maybe proficiency+wis mod of temp HPs? or raise it to 6th level at least?

Hawk Diesel

Adventurer

This class has the most revisions, many including similar features but gained at different times. Why not take a page from the Warlock’s Invocations and PF2. Their will be some who oppose such a chassis as it goes against the norm but it would allow you to build what you want

Maybe a good option for Advanced 5th?

I wasn't expecting warlock style invocations. Most times I see use of a Warlock chassis, I'm expecting the Pact Magic. But this is an interesting idea.

One thing I might suggest is giving some more magical type talents. While many rangers are more survivalist fighter types, some may dabble in druidic magic. Providing such additional options can go a long way to allowing people to play a variety of ranger concepts. I might also recommend making talents that expand on Hunter's Mark, as well as ones that are specific to a particular conclave. Off the top of my head there could be some really interesting talents you could create for Beast Companions, Gloomstalker Rangers, or Horizon Walkers.

ScuroNotte

Explorer
Some thoughts were expanding number creatures affected by Hunters Mark,
I wasn't expecting warlock style invocations. Most times I see use of a Warlock chassis, I'm expecting the Pact Magic. But this is an interesting idea.

One thing I might suggest is giving some more magical type talents. While many rangers are more survivalist fighter types, some may dabble in druidic magic. Providing such additional options can go a long way to allowing people to play a variety of ranger concepts. I might also recommend making talents that expand on Hunter's Mark, as well as ones that are specific to a particular conclave. Off the top of my head there could be some really interesting talents you could create for Beast Companions, Gloomstalker Rangers, or Horizon Walkers.

Those are great ideas.

Remove ads