• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

<rant>Psionic Magic?! WTF?!

Cheesepie

First Post
Easy. Ignore them! I also think of them as the detectable (but not visible) pulse of power that emanates from psychic people in my world.

And at least they aren't psychokinetic ectoplasm. :)

Oh, trust me, I'm ignoring them so hard. I was just a little disappointed by the art because I was really, really hoping more art in the style of the Expanded Psionics Handbook, which has some of my favourite art I've seen in a D&D book ever. :(

I guess from now on I'll be mentally replacing every picture of a battlemind I don't like with that badass-looking psychic warrior chick with a crystal sword from the XPH. :)

Flipguarder

First Post
"magic being in a source is okay by source"

1. Arcane Magic
2. Primal Magic
3. psionic magic
4. Martial magic

Psionic magic is just as reasonable as some rituals being controlled by some nature magic.

Jack99

Adventurer
<warning: rant ahead>
Ok, I gotta say this first. I'm biased. I'm a psionics fan. I write psionics books and I publish them. I LOVE psionics.

Done.

WHAT THE EFFING HELL? Psionic MAGIC? As far as I see it, personally, psionics is NOT magic. I disliked the "Psionic X"-factor that was happening in 3.5 (such as "Mindflayer, Psionic" or "Charm, Psionic") and it really irks me when it is done in 4E.

It would be, atleast to me, the equivalent of saying "martial magic" - which is cool if you're doing Tome of Battle... but not for the Rogue. And well, either martial is "magic" too, because some of its powers are pretty wild, or psionics ISN'T magic.

But that might just be me... :)

It's kinda funny, Andreas, because when I read the Battlemind, I knew I could pop over to ENworld and find a new thread started by you ;)

SabreCat

First Post
I prefer simply "psi." Feels more elegant--for me, the word "psionics" clicks into the semantic space of "bionics", like some sort of machinery to enhance psychic powers.

Felon

First Post
<warning: rant ahead>
Ok, I gotta say this first. I'm biased. I'm a psionics fan. I write psionics books and I publish them. I LOVE psionics.

Done.

WHAT THE EFFING HELL? Psionic MAGIC? As far as I see it, personally, psionics is NOT magic. I disliked the "Psionic X"-factor that was happening in 3.5 (such as "Mindflayer, Psionic" or "Charm, Psionic") and it really irks me when it is done in 4E.

It would be, atleast to me, the equivalent of saying "martial magic" - which is cool if you're doing Tome of Battle... but not for the Rogue. And well, either martial is "magic" too, because some of its powers are pretty wild, or psionics ISN'T magic.

But that might just be me... :)
For someone who's a self-professed author, you sure come across as lacking in the area of articulation. What particular reference to "psionic magic" are you referring to? It's a power source, sure. But who's calling it magic?

See my note on the next page, please. ~ PCat

The way I see it, if psionics isn't magical but rather some mutant brain genetically-derived superpower, then get it out of my fantasy game.

This is why I previously suggested that the power source be called "mystical". Same basic essence without the sci-fi connotation.

Last edited by a moderator:

Tale

First Post
The way I see it, if psionics isn't magical but rather some mutant brain genetically-derived superpower, then get it out of my fantasy game.

This is why I previously suggested that the power source be called "mystical". Same basic essence without the sci-fi connotation.
Isn't that Sorcerers, though?

Remove ads