• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Rappan Athuk: Reloaded SOLD OUT by wide margin!!

bowbe

First Post
I'm happy for the folks who got a deal through Amazon, I really am. We had no way of knowing if Amazon would get copies or not. Amazon did not directly purchase any copies of RA, they were all sold to the normal distributor at the normal distributor rate. In other words the price Amazon is selling them for is losing Amazon money if you qualify for free shipping (as many of you do) and making them somewhere in the neighborhood of $5-10 if they don't pay for the shipping. In other words if Amazon bought all 500 available copies from the distributor (unlikely) and you qualify for the free shipping, amazon loses a couple thousand dollars. That's a drop in the bucket to amazon though so no worries. Win some lose some. Folks who didn't pre-order or buy at Gen con don't get the free PDFs so they lose out on that. Amazon loses out on a profit, but folks getting RA for 25-47.24 is a win for those that really wanted the product.

On the subject of deals... for folks interested in getting a shiny new copy of Bard's Gate to go with Rappan Athuk ... Barnes and Noble has it listed for $11.95. Figure it this way, if you saved $25+dollars on RAR, you'd be saving $23.00 on Bard's Gate. B&N still has BG listed at the old page count and the old price, but evidently they are honoring the sales. Since B&N is also getting their copies from the same distributors they are losing money on every copy they sell at that price as well. In other words it really is a steal.

Case

Treebore

First Post
johnsemlak said:
AS I posted abovve I ordered from FRPGames and I'm awaiting mine (though I've had it shipped to my parents in the US where I'll pick it up later this year :() so we're in similar boats. I'm confident FRPGames will get it though (I made my order nesarly two weeks ago--dunno if that was in time or not).

I certainly understand the frustration about not being able to get it but bear in mind it's Clark and Bill's magnum opus and they both seem to want this work of there's to be in Limited Edition form only--for non-financial reasons.

Also, it's hard to be certain that they'd sell many more of these sets, either as a LE product or as a cheaper more streamlined product. It's important to remember that many people are loath to buy products that are simply updates of products they already have, even with a bit of new material. The quick sellout and the strong enthusism seen here indicates that they could sell more (perhaps the NG folks will be convinced to do a reprint in the end, but all statements so far have been No) but they don't want to risk over printing this product.

For those of us with no other option there is the PDF route.

I would say that since 500 copies went to Alliance and other distributors, and Amazon is still selling them (or at least were when I ordered my 3rd copy from them about two weeks ago) I would say the 1,000 print run is turning out to be about the right size.

Besides, I haven't heard of anyone getting any of the 5 gold tickets yet.

bowbe

First Post
A little ;-)

Remember though... Most of us at Necro are hobbyists and gamers same as everyone else. I teach, Orcus practices law, Tsathogga engineers, Pat runs a household, Nate is in grad School, Scott does IT stuff and so on and so on.

We are totally guilty of geeking out about stuff (like Amazon) just as badly as say everyone else geeks about 4ed rumors. :p

Mainly we just want you to have the stuff available to you if you want it. If you can get it cheaper then awesome!

I do tend to agree however with Orcus's statement. It's a tough call to bet it all on Amazon, B&N and Evil Empire (Walmart). Sometimes they come through and take one in the shorts. Sometimes we do. 50/50.

Case

trancejeremy

Adventurer
Well, I got mine today from Amazon.com (went with the slow, free shipping). #200 (no Golden Ticket, sadly). While I like it, I think what I paid for it is about right ($47). For $75+, it seems awfully, well, weak.

Ghostwind

First Post
bowbe said:
On the subject of deals... for folks interested in getting a shiny new copy of Bard's Gate to go with Rappan Athuk ... Barnes and Noble has it listed for $11.95. Figure it this way, if you saved $25+dollars on RAR, you'd be saving $23.00 on Bard's Gate. B&N still has BG listed at the old page count and the old price, but evidently they are honoring the sales. Since B&N is also getting their copies from the same distributors they are losing money on every copy they sell at that price as well. In other words it really is a steal.

Case

Instant sale for me. That is cheaper than I can buy it at work.

Treebore

First Post
trancejeremy said:
Well, I got mine today from Amazon.com (went with the slow, free shipping). #200 (no Golden Ticket, sadly). While I like it, I think what I paid for it is about right ($47). For $75+, it seems awfully, well, weak.

Generally true. but since I like the free pdf that came along with it, via drivethrurpg and the pre-order deal, I'm glad I paid the $75.00. Having the pdf is going to make printing stuff out and altering things for the specific party a lot more convenient.

But if you don't really care about pdf's, tha Amazon deal is great. Which is why I bought another one through them. :)

Ottergame

First Post
trancejeremy said:

Sadly, I have to aggree. While neat, it just doesn't SEEM like a premium product to me. It's just a boxed adventure. I paid $47, and that feels about right. I would have been sad if I had paid full price.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads