Ravenloft Al modles Jasper questions and rants. Spoilers

Steve_MND

First Post
Sure enough, Steve_MND, but by choosing to use a bland corporate-speak term like "non-portability" you risk giving off the impression you have intentionally ignored all aspects of actual story. Almost as if the "ravenloft lock" (a much better term, if you ask me :) ) wasn't deeply grounded in story, background, atmosphere and theme.
Well, that's because I am intentionally ignoring all aspects of the actual story, because what I am referring to has nothing to do with setting, story, atmosphere or theme --It's about how the actual campaign is administered and run, not the stories within it.

You would probably get more support for your position were you to say "I think Ravenloft is a poor fit for organized play because [reasons]" than pretending a completely open Ravenloft campaign is a perfectly normal thing to suggest.

Ravenloft itself is a fine fit for an Organized Play campaign. But, IMHO, not as the current 'flavor of the week' in a pre-existing, ongoing campaign already in full swing, because it hurts the portability in the campaign that was already there as a basic concept of OP. I referred to 'portability' because I've seen the term used before, and it seemed the closest term that would be applicable in a broad scale when referring to Organized Play campaigns in general, not specifically this one. Anything that reduces portability in an Organized Play campaign I feel is a Bad Idea, not just the current example of "Ravenloft Lock." Hence why I would prefer not to see something similar pop up again in later seasons.

jasper

Rotten DM
Update. The module was The Marionette. How does a 4 hour game go from 730 to midnight? Players not paying attention. Dm not putting players on a count down during combat. (Players spending 3 minutes to decide on a spell etc). All of us enjoying pc to pc roleplaying. 7 players and 1 dm. I have to relearn how to dm that many players. The store we game at does not help as it gets crowded and loud on Friday night. A good thing was my voice did not give out.
Ok most of the players thought I was kidding about the max age stuff. I had 2 people fail their saves vs ghost pouting face. One age did not matter as it was a long live race. The other age 20 years which sucks for a 72 year Dragon born. Especially as the played did not write down his max age from the 1st game. So the dragon born has 4 years of life left. And there more ghosts in the adventure. I did not beat the other gamer/dm who mouth off all the player had to do was respect his pc to another race to get out of penalty.
I messed up on how a Charmed Person worked (hey it was midnight). I will be making the divination wizard roll his 2 d20s in front of me. Not saying he cheating but that twice the pc really helped the group. And failing horror checks and some other checks suck. Had pcs puking, eating lead paint etc for 1 minute so were totally out of the combat.
The group did surprise me. I been enforcing the 10 gp buy limit and forcing them to spend 1.5 gp on food and lodging. They moved into the fur traders home as their base. Also they jumped the script. And decided to check out the mayor house (which they remember they had not done the week before). I just had them stumble into the town crier as he was tossed out to make the announcement.
Combat wise I can see why some people gripe about how fast single monsters go down. The longest lasting combat was 4 rounds and it was 6 swarms of rats.

Pauper

That guy, who does that thing.
Well, I happen to view portability as one of the main tenets that Organized Play is supposed to be built around, and once you start getting rid of that, you're crippling the entire idea behind why OP was created in the first place.

I guess I just don't see things the same way -- I mean, I wouldn't expect to be able to take the arcanist I'm playing in a friend's Kingmaker campaign and just show up at someone else's Pathfinder game and expect to play it, then take that same character back to Kingmaker. Then again, I played D&D for 20 years before I ever participated in an Organized Play event, so I can see where my expectations would be different from yours.

Case in point: Season 4 has managed to drop our attendance at AL games down to about half of what it once was, and while I am sure our relatively small gaming population might have exacerbated the issue, I cannot legitimately imagine that our store is the only one in the country that's had that same problem.

I don't have hard data, but the anecdotal data I have from local stores around the Twin Cities area is that we didn't see that same problem -- though that might be due to both our being a larger area, and to many players in the area being relatively new to OP, and thus more open to the idea that they'd create a character specifically for the Ravenloft season and not expect to play it in another game, since they have other characters for those other games.

Sorry, I thought the context was there to make it clear that it wasn't so much the first half of the season that was the main problem (altho you may be surprised at how few players want to just 'play a character' if they don't think they'll ever be able to do anything with them again).

This seems weird to me -- do these players simply not make new characters at all? They must find it odd that AL keeps putting out level 1-4 mods, then, since they likely no longer have a character who can play them.

And if they do create character for new seasons, then do they not already have characters that they 'don't play' for long stretches at a time? (I have ten characters currently in my 'AL stable', and a good half of them haven't been brought out of the folder in over a year now.) Is 'this character is stuck in Ravenloft' such a stigma that your players simply won't touch it, even though they have characters in their binders that, for all they play them, might as well be stuck there?

I was referring more to the latter half, where we had a number of potential players with earlier mid-tier characters that could have joined in, had the season's portability been the same as earlier ones. But since several of them had erratic work schedules, etc., they didn't want to risk playing a favorite character only to have it likely locked for who-knows-how-long just because they missed the module(s) that allowed them to leave. Again, some other options were added near the end of the season, but for several of our players, it was too little too late for them to bother with.

I guess your players are just different from mine, then -- I had a player take the exit from tier 1 and bring in a different tier 2 character, simply because he thought the party needed better balance. It just doesn't seem to be an issue for our group.

And honestly, between the execution of Season Four and our less-than-impressive dealings with Baldman at this summer's GenCon, most of the 'core group' of gamers in our area are moving more towards other, indie games and campaigns. And as mentioned before, while I admit our relatively small population might have exacerbated the issue, I cannot legitimately imagine that our gamers are the only ones that are having those same concerns.

Well, your players are your players and they'll choose their fun however they like -- that's not an issue. But the guy above who brought in a new Tier 2 player was one of the guys I went to GenCon with, and if anything the stuff he played there made him more excited to keep playing Adventurers League. He's waiting for Baldman to drop their mods in the DMs Guild so he can run them for the folks who didn't make it.

I have no way of knowing if your group or mine is more representative of AL as a whole, though, so I'm not sure what this says about what the admin staff should do.

That said, that very exclusionary nature of the setting said to me that "hey, this is a poor choice of setting to add to an already existing, ongoing campaign, as no-one likes when the rules are changed out from underneath them."

I guess I don't see that -- I like it when things get shaken up, because doing the same thing over and over is a good way to breed complacency and boredom. If I'm playing the same mods in the same style today that I did when I first started playing Living Forgotten Realms, then I can't see myself staying interested in the game. And I really don't see any rule as a 'sacred cow'; go ahead and threaten my character with perma-death, because that's how I know things mean something in this game. If all I'm doing is putting my character on an escalator from level 1 to 20, and it doesn't matter what I do or how I play, then why bother?

With that said, I won't argue that Season 4 was perfect by any means -- to my mind, the biggest problem with Season 4 is that the team wanted to provide a tight, linear storyline, but didn't go 'all in' on what would be required to provide that level of a story. For instance, in previous seasons, if a mod proved to be not up to the quality of surrounding mods, a DM could legitimately skip that mod and either run a different mod to replace the XP or simply keep the players doing on the season storyline with a later mod. That wasn't really an option in Season 4, which expected you'd play all the mods in order, and thus you had no real choice but to run the mod you'd scheduled, even if you thought it was a poor mod.

But despite the presumption that you'd play all the adventures in order, the admins still chose to compartmentalize the season so that, if you did end up skipping a number of mods, for some reason, yet still was able to play the campaign, you wouldn't feel too lost or that you'd missed too much story material -- they accomplished this by basically disconnecting all the mods from each other after 4-5, and turning the season episodic -- you were introduced to a new villain who hadn't been significantly foreshadowed, whose influence on the plot ended at the end of the adventure. If I had one major frustration with Season 4 (and my own efforts to run the season are focusing on fixing that major frustration), it is that the adventures don't really feel like a connected series of stories that form a larger story -- they just feel like a series of things you do until you get to the end of the adventure.

A similar situation occurred in the previous Season with the Madness rules being introduced. Lovecraftian horror is great, and a favorite of mine. But adding such elements in the middle of an ongoing campaign, have it sweep through like some horrific windstorm, be dangerous and game-changing on a most fundamental level, and then disappear just as quickly as it arrived, is, in my personal opinion, a poor choice for any campaign, Organized or not. Fundamental concepts like that deserve to be integrated at the start of any particular campaign, and last through it fully, and not just be thrown in as some 'game mechanic flavor of the week' sort of situation.

Here is where I think our disconnect occurs -- you seem to believe that the entirely of Adventurers League is one single campaign. But the campaign has already been run in segmented seasons to this point, which each new season bringing new adversaries, new adventures, and yes, new mechanics into the campaign.

Granted, I wasn't a big fan of the madness mechanic in Season 3, either, once it all played out, but the idea that the admins had to have worked out how it was going to work before the campaign even launched? That would be pretty much impossible. Not only that, but the logic of your argument suggests that the campaign should also never include new rules sources or source books like the Elemental Evil Player's Companion or the Sword Coast Adventurers Guide, since those also 'change the rules' in the middle of the campaign. I doubt anybody would be interested in that static of a campaign.

I would have much rather seen, instead of trying to link each of these 'weekly flavors' they'd have just created a new, separate standalone campaign for that season. i would have loved to have seen a fully-Underdark campaign. I would have loved to have seen a fully-Ravenloft campaign. In the future I would love to see a fully-Spelljammer campaign, or a fully-Planescape campaign, or a fully-Athas campaign. But I do not, and would not, like to see them all crammed together into the current single monolithic AL campaign that started five seasons ago.

I would argue that this is exactly what we have, if you play it the way it was designed. Each season begins with a new level 1 module, and progresses though a number of additional mods until the end of the season's story. Then the new season begins, starting over with the intro level 1 module. The designers, instead of throwing out storyline seasons, could have introduced a 'you can only play mods associated with your storyline season' mechanic, and I'm not convinced it would be all that damaging to the campaign. Based on how many times we had to answer that question, many people just assumed that this was the whole purpose of the storyline season mechanic anyway.

The admins haven't gotten rid of 'portability', but the design of the campaign suggests that it's just not as big a deal in the current incarnation of Organized Play as it was in previous incarnations -- otherwise, why bother with all the new low-level content?

It would be different if Organized Play were run like an online MMO, like Neverwinter. In Neverwinter, Tyranny of Dragons is a set of content you can run once you hit level 27. Storm King's Thunder doesn't start until you hit level 70. The game expects you'll be playing all this with the same character, and so sets up the content where they expect your character will be when it comes out. But if anything, that model would be far worse for the tabletop game -- if you had to be level 11 to play any Storm King's Thunder AL mods, then I can easily think of numerous players who would be unable to participate in those mods, including myself.

AL isn't an MMO, and it's not Living Greyhawk.

Two problems (in my eyes) being that the campaign is still, in theory, all still interchangeable and not separate, and that it's Baldman who is heading up the 'core' bits.

I think you're overestimating the influence of Baldman Games, based solely on their decision to use CORE as an adventure designation. As far as I can tell, Adventurers League has no core content in the same sense as Living Greyhawk's Core adventures, for instance.

Again, I know that there are issues that I have that others don't, and that there are things I like that others don't, and things I hate that others don't. All I can do is explain my reasoning to those that are capable of listening and potentially sending info up the chain of command (looking at you, AL admins) and hope that they take it into consideration -- along with everyone else's -- when the next time for changes come around.

That's well and good -- sharing your experiences and thoughts does help the admins get a better picture of what is happening out in the world that's playing their game. But, and this is something I've had to figure out myself, just because you're having an experience doesn't mean that your experience is representative of the global experience. And, more to the point, your experience might well just be the 'necessary evil' to get the campaign working the way the admins want it to work.

Thanks for sharing.

--
Pauper

jasper

Rotten DM
Speaking of pcs being locked in. I was ask by a player( who has not been playing with me) if I would allow his Tier 2 pc which is locked in Ravenloft. I told him in 3 weeks, I maybe able to allow him to play as I have a full table. And pointed him to the leaving Barovia article.

Steve_MND

First Post
I guess I just don't see things the same way -- I mean, I wouldn't expect to be able to take the arcanist I'm playing in a friend's Kingmaker campaign and just show up at someone else's Pathfinder game and expect to play it, then take that same character back to Kingmaker.

That's exactly my point tho -- those aren't Organized Play campaigns you are referring to there -- those are two home campaigns. The idea of an Organized Play campaign (as it's been used for the last 15 years or so at least), was designed to allow people to do exactly that: take a character that they've played in a particular OP Campaign and take him to any other table that was running that same OP Campaign with any other players and be able to play him at there as well. Once you start mucking about with limits on that kind of portability (once you've played Module X, you can't play certain other ones anymore, etc.), I personally feel you are starting to erode one of the main reasons why OP was created in the first place.

Before OP Campaigns became a thing, you were pretty much limited to one of two types -- either home campaigns, which was just a bunch of friends sitting around playing whatever games they wanted, with whatever rules they wanted, or Convention games, which were typically one-shot modules that were run at a big conventions like GenCon, and usually had their own internal set of rules and pre-generated characters. OP Campaigns, when they came about, bridged those two -- they allowed a person to have a character they created themself, using a set of shared rules and guidelines that all DMs that were participating would follow, and participate in a series of modules developed for that campaign that may have been being run by dozens, hundreds, even thousands of DMs across the world. As a result, the freedom to be able to go from one table to the next (and being sure that your character was acceptable there as well) was pretty game-changing. That portability -- whether it be not having to play modules in a particular order, or the idea of not being locked out of certain things -- I feel is critical to how an OP Campaign should operate.

That said, I have started seeing the term being used across the industry with far, far less precision. I've heard people refer to the Kingmaker campaign settings and Call of Cthulhu's A Time To Harvest both as "Organized Play," where they're really not. Neither has an internal set of rules that the DM is not supposed to expand beyond, and there is no internal consistency to allow the free roaming of characters from one table to the other, for example.

And if they do create character for new seasons, then do they not already have characters that they 'don't play' for long stretches at a time? (I have ten characters currently in my 'AL stable', and a good half of them haven't been brought out of the folder in over a year now.) Is 'this character is stuck in Ravenloft' such a stigma that your players simply won't touch it, even though they have characters in their binders that, for all they play them, might as well be stuck there?

I'm in the same boat. But I feel there's a big difference between planned obsolescence and accidental obsolescence.

I guess your players are just different from mine, then -- I had a player take the exit from tier 1 and bring in a different tier 2 character, simply because he thought the party needed better balance. It just doesn't seem to be an issue for our group.

Your group is probably also large and active enough that he figured he'd be likely to have the opportunity to play in any of the modules he wanted to. Smaller groups may not have that luxury. Our store group is small enough that we are very unlikely to ever play a second table of any of the Ravenloft games, so if someone misses one, it's unlikely they'll ever get the chance to play it again here, because once we cross that level 4 threshold, we don't have enough players with legal characters they feel like risking to garner to make that second table. Compare that to earlier seasons, where we would often run several mods multiple times, because there was no 'commitment' to the character. Once they played that mod, they weren't locked into anything, and could use them again if needed in whatever the next mod down the pike was.

Well, your players are your players and they'll choose their fun however they like -- that's not an issue. But the guy above who brought in a new Tier 2 player was one of the guys I went to GenCon with, and if anything the stuff he played there made him more excited to keep playing Adventurers League. He's waiting for Baldman to drop their mods in the DMs Guild so he can run them for the folks who didn't make it.

All my remarks on Baldman have been my own. It just turns out that they are shared by the majority of our 'core group' here (which I'm sure is not a coincidence, as we all went to genCon together and tended to play the same games together). I don't expect our experiences to be representative of everyone's there, just ours.

I have no way of knowing if your group or mine is more representative of AL as a whole, though, so I'm not sure what this says about what the admin staff should do.

Your's is probably more representative, I'll admit, but I still feel it's important that both sides are presented, and to let the Admins sort it out. I've been an OP Admin once before, and while I loved it, I won't argue that it can be a pain in the arse.

Here is where I think our disconnect occurs -- you seem to believe that the entirely of Adventurers League is one single campaign.

That would be because it is.

But the campaign has already been run in segmented seasons to this point, which each new season bringing new adversaries, new adventures, and yes, new mechanics into the campaign.

And that's actually my concern.

AL is in fact a single campaign. A character you created in Season One is legal to be played in a Season Five adventure. A character you created in Season Three could play in a module from Season Two that somebody was running. Magic Items and character boons and XP gained and gold procured is legal and valid in any mod, from any season. Thus, that's a single campaign by any meaningful definition I can think of.

But what AL is doing is running a single campaign but, as you say, as segmented seasons. Different mechanics, different flavors, etc. They have created a single campaign that shifts like the winds each season, and personally, I don't like that approach. I don't like the mechanical aspect of having my character slaughtering lesser demons left and right in grand Lord of the Rings style one module, only to turn around and have to have him make a Madness check when he encounters a misshapen Dretch in the very next module.

Personally, I would have preferred to see each of these seasons operated as a separate, self-contained campaign. I also admit that my perceptions are colored in the heyday of Living Greyhawk, when the original campaign was planned out to be an epic 5-year story arc, covering dozens of modules per calendar year. That, for many of us, what was the Organized Play was designed for -- to allow for a long-term, awe-inspiring epic storytelling journey. You rotated characters in and out of that journey, depending on what module availability dictated, but regardless of who you were playing, the overall story was a solid, continuous arc.

LG was the engaging, long-term investment of these first six seasons of Game of Thrones. AL, on the other hand, feels more like the disjointed episodes of a sitcom in comparison. That said, I freely admit that I am apologetically making a very unfair judgement on AL -- they could not possibly be able to replicate what happened with LG. That was a perfect storm of enthusiastic corporate support, a massive player base, and a well-run, decentralized structure that allowed for massive variety across the board, yet still kept things within the same games-mechanics umbrella. The Admins can only go with what they have available to them.

I'm not saying that a different way of handling these things would have been likely -- or even possible, given WotC's current approach to these things -- but that doesn't mean I can't think about what could have been, and whether or not it would be possible or even advisable to be steered in that direction in the future.

That's well and good -- sharing your experiences and thoughts does help the admins get a better picture of what is happening out in the world that's playing their game. But, and this is something I've had to figure out myself, just because you're having an experience doesn't mean that your experience is representative of the global experience. And, more to the point, your experience might well just be the 'necessary evil' to get the campaign working the way the admins want it to work.

Trust me, I don't in any way assume my experiences here to be indicative of the entire player base. But I also don't think my store group is just a statistical anomaly either. But as long as our voices are heard, I'm fine with that. We'll both continue to make suggestions and argue for or against certain things, as everyone who plays this campaign should, but by the same token, if there comes point in time where the bother begins to outweigh the fun, it's time to move on to other things.

And with the new OGL up and running, and new things on the horizon, AL is no longer going to be the only option out there for Organized Play built around 5e. WotC would be wise to consider how they want to handle this new market. They dismantled the RPGA because they didn't like the idea of potentially 'promoting' competitor's games (as opposed to TSR's more inclusive, founding approach to the RPGA, which was 'a rising tide lifts all boats'). I'm curious to see if we're going to see a repeat of the massive industry growth we saw back in the heyday of 3rd edition. And if so, how WotC handles it this time around -- and what role AL does or doesn't play in it -- should prove to be interesting.

jasper

Rotten DM
Spoilers Spoilers Spoilers

The Seer Al4-5 Part 3.
Ok why does the module have an Owlbear (with snow camouflage?) and Winter Wolf listed in the back? Especially when only Part 3. Mention wolves lurking.

kalani

First Post
Are people forgetting that there is a Barexit option on the D&DAL website which allows characters to spend DT to leave Ravenloft at any time? While this option did not exist mid-season, it was introduced toward the end of season 4 specifically to allow characters to leave Ravenloft and join a different table (although constantly bouncing between Ravenloft and other adventures becomes increasingly more expensive the more it is attempted).

jasper

Rotten DM
Kalani the guy did not know of Barexit option. When I told him, he decided to do that for 1 PC but he want his other pc to play the Tier 2 mods. This is big stroke to my ego as it the first time in decades that people are ASKING to join my table.

Pauper

That guy, who does that thing.
The Seer Al4-5 Part 3.
Ok why does the module have (monsters not in the module) listed in the back? Especially when only Part 3. Mention wolves lurking.

Best guess is that there was an encounter prior to the penultimate encounter in playtest that was removed for time. The monsters in that encounter, along with the possible adjustments, were not removed from the monster list at the end of the module, but did get messed up in editing, so that one monster got both monsters' special abilities.

The monster writeups can be safely ignored.

--
Pauper

Mirtek

Hero
Almost as if the "ravenloft lock" (a much better term, if you ask me :) ) wasn't deeply grounded in story, background, atmosphere and theme.
As is the flow of time. However that doesn't prevent me to play any AL mod of a given tier in a totally messed up order.
(although constantly bouncing between Ravenloft and other adventures becomes increasingly more expensive the more it is attempted).
Barely better than not having the option at all.

Last edited:

Remove ads