Ravnica Available To DMs Guild Creators From Today!

Ravnica is joining Forgotten Realms, Eberron, and Ravenloft, as a setting available for creators on the Dungeon Master's Guild from today, November 20th.

Ravnica is joining Forgotten Realms, Eberron, and Ravenloft, as a setting available for creators on the Dungeon Master's Guild from today, November 20th.

rav1.jpg

WotC made the following brief announcement last night:

"Intrepid DM's Guild creators! Ravnica will be added as a setting on Dungeon Masters Guild tomorrow Nov 20th! (We will be coordinating day-of updates of the Ravnica setting filter and updating the FAQ. Please be patient if these aren't up quite yet if you upload early!)"

D

DQDesign

something really strange happened.
yesterday wotc added new art resources for dmsguild creators, but nothing tied to Ravnica.
I won't try to find a reason behind this.

something really strange happened.
yesterday wotc added new art resources for dmsguild creators, but nothing tied to Ravnica.
I won't try to find a reason behind this.
I imagine the reason is probably the most simple one: they didn’t have access to any. While they clearly have the rights to reuse art from modern cards in art books (and the PDFs) they might not have the same rights to give away old art pieces as they did for D&D.
Or
The added layer of having the D&D team act as go between with the MtG art department is slowing things down compared to D&D, where they have more access and freedom.

Remathilis

Legend
I just think it is a damn shame that they've opened up a setting from another game while still prohibiting content created for actual D&D settings like Dark Sun and Greyhawk.

WotC's model has been: release an official sourcebook/module for the setting (SCAG, CoS, WGtE, GGtR), then let the fans go wild. We'll have to wait for an official adventure or sourcebook for those settings first. (I wager Dark Sun in probably in the cards for the PDF/living guide model for 2019).

gyor

Legend
Here is what I think we will get for settings in 2019, Darksun PDF, Planescape hardcover Setting book, Spelljammer modual/AP focusing mostly on realmspace. This will open up those three settings. Near the end of 2019 we might see another setting like Dragonlance if we are lucky, but that is less likely.

2020, if we only get the 3 I expect then it will be Dragonlance PDF, Greyhawk Hardcover, and Nentir Vale Modual/AP.

That would just leave Birthright, Mystara, maybe a new MtG setting for 2021.

CapnZapp

Legend
I just think it is a damn shame that they've opened up a setting from another game while still prohibiting content created for actual D&D settings like Dark Sun and Greyhawk.
People have made their own adventures and put them up on web sites for decades.

I don't see how things have changed.

Nobody's forcing you to use DMsG after all.

I long back to the time when people didn't expect to make money off of their loved hobby.

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter
People have made their own adventures and put them up on web sites for decades.

I don't see how things have changed.

Nobody's forcing you to use DMsG after all.

I long back to the time when people didn't expect to make money off of their loved hobby.

And of course the irony being... if someone *was* to make material for the settings that have not officially been re-released by WotC yet, they wouldn't make very much money off it anyway cause very few people would actually want to buy it. Heh heh. ;)

D

DQDesign

Also wotc makes money from stuff sold on the guild. Is a win-win mechanism.

The day in which a no-profit cultural foundation will manage the d&d brand instead of a company (a thing which I would very like to see) then maybe making money from it would be not so fair. Maybe.

CapnZapp

Legend
Well, my point is that if you're so desperate to share your brilliant Greyhawk module with the world, then... share your brilliant Greyhawk module with the world.

Just put up the document somewhere. For free, obviously.

I guarantee* you WotC won't go after fan material where no money is involved.
*) no actual guarantee provided

The real reason people want to use DMsG is money. The new idea is apparently that you don't write and share content to enrich the community, but for personal fame and fortune. I do not like. And so these cries amount to little more than "I can't get rich from using WotC's property", which garners much less sympathy with me.

There was a before DMs Guild. Creating fan material for D&D worlds did not begin with the DMs Guild. Sometimes hearing these entitled complaints makes you feel people have chosen to forget about this.

TLDR: To speak openly - anyone complaining is likely a greedy crybaby and can safely be ignored.

D

DQDesign

Well, my point is that if you're so desperate to share your brilliant Greyhawk module with the world, then... share your brilliant Greyhawk module with the world.

Just put up the document somewhere. For free, obviously.

I guarantee* you WotC won't go after fan material where no money is involved.
*) no actual guarantee provided

The real reason people want to use DMsG is money. The new idea is apparently that you don't write and share content to enrich the community, but for personal fame and fortune. I do not like. And so these cries amount to little more than "I can't get rich from using WotC's property", which garners much less sympathy with me.

There was a before DMs Guild. Creating fan material for D&D worlds did not begin with the DMs Guild. Sometimes hearing these entitled complaints makes you feel people have chosen to forget about this.

TLDR: To speak openly - anyone complaining is likely a greedy crybaby and can safely be ignored.

Try yourself on the guild before tagging other users as 'desperate' or 'greedy crybabies'. You can set your products to 0 $ and make them generic in order to avoid the usage of wotc IP, in that way you'll be not dirty with lurid money and ok with your conscience about using IP inherited by companies. Who knows if you are really able to 'enrich the community'…

Anyway, I hope you are coherent in not liking people who make fame and fortune with D&D and in this you also don't like wotc. I neither like nor dislike them, but I strongly think that a 'wikimedia foundation' or 'GNU foundation' model in the management of D&D brand would be better than a company commercial management. In my opinion d&d is too much important to be used as a source of income only.

Remove ads

Remove ads