• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Ravnica: Is This The New D&D Setting? [UPDATED & CONFIRMED!]

If so... meh?

I get these reseverations, but this is nowhere near the level 3.5. went to.
Plus...I actually liked the name pages in Xanathars and they have helped me a great deal as did they help my players.

Eirikrautha

First Post
It's always turned out well for D&D when corporate decided to leverage the brand to create crossover fans, or am I the only person here old enough to remember Buck Rodgers?

I don't know when the "settings" info was teased, but I hope the other two "settings" for grognards weren't supposed to be Waterdeep and Undermountain. Everyone seems to be assuming that "settings" means "planes of existence" or something.

Echohawk

Shirokinukatsukami fan
i dont like when D&D start spamming books, feels like end of 3.5
The only type of product in the 5th Edition cycle that could be reasonably called spammy compared to previous editions is DM's screens. We've had ten -- count 'em, ten -- different screens for D&D Next and 5th Edition since 2013. But books? For books, the 5th Edition release rate is more "hurry up already" than "spammy".

Slade Thirteen

First Post
This is very likely the first 5e book I will skip.
Super disappointed. There's so many settings they're not supporting, and so much of the D&D multiverse lying fallow, and they go with a setting from another game?! C'mon!

I get the thought behind it.
Magic the Gathering has a tonne of lore that never gets explored. This can do that. And there's a decent overlap between MtG and D&D fans, who will be excited by this book. And it might sell to MtG fans who don't play D&D, potentially getting them into D&D.
But that last point is targeting a potential audience over a real audience.

Man... and I thought I was disappointed by Tales from the Yawming Portal.

I imagine that's also the thought behind releasing it in November. So D&D players who don't care about MtG or Ravnica (which I have to look up how to spell each and every time, as I've never written that word before) will at least have the Waterdeep duology.

I understand your frustration... But I have to disagree on the point of 'real vs potential'. They have been making Plane modules for 3 years now. We have: Zendikar, Innistrad, Kaladesh, Amonkhet, and Ixalan. They are under the title "Plane Shift". This will be their first full book, true, but there IS a real audience already. Sure, you specifically might not feel apart of it, but there is real interest.

And Ravnica is a HUGE setting. And I don't mean lore wise (though there is a -lot- to mine there), I mean that of all the Planes that MtG returns to, the absolute most popular is Ravnica. (Dominaria, Zendikar, and Innistrad being a few others that trail just behind). Make no mistake, this is going to sell, especially if what's inside is worth it.

Not saying you have to be excited, I'm merely correcting the single point. I do understand the frustration of not getting more of what you were looking forward too. Hopefully news comes that has more of that for you in the very near future.

{edit} just noticed that your comment was near the start of 14 pages of discussion... and yeah, 14 is TL;DR territory. So if this was pointed out already, I apologize.

Last edited by a moderator:

Aldarc

Legend
Has no one noted one of the similarities between Ravnica, Eberron, and Planescape? Factions/Guilds. In all three settings, there is a set number of powerful guilds that push the setting. In Ravnica, it's determined by the combination of the magic types: 10 total. In Planescape, the Lady of Pain declared that there would only be 15 Factions in the city of Sigil. In Eberron, the number of Dragonmarked Houses sits at 12 (really 13 due to the setting's conceit of the Baker's Dozen: 12 + 1). Although Planescape has not been confirmed, it does sit with these settings that often do have a combination of larger than life urban locales (i.e., Sharn, Ravnica, Sigil) and faction/guild politics.

gyor

Legend
well this was boring, sorry!
i dont like when D&D start spamming books, feels like end of 3.5
even the regular books already have reprinted material and 17 pages of names.
i would like less books and better material

I sort of get where your coming from on this, but Setting books don't count, I don't think this will have a lot of filler or repeats with official products.

robus

Lowcountry Low Roller
Supporter
Has no one noted one of the similarities between Ravnica, Eberron, and Planescape? Factions/Guilds. In all three settings, there is a set number of powerful guilds that push the setting. In Ravnica, it's determined by the combination of the magic types: 10 total. In Planescape, the Lady of Pain declared that there would only be 15 Factions in the city of Sigil. In Eberron, the number of Dragonmarked Houses sits at 12 (really 13 due to the setting's conceit of the Baker's Dozen: 12 + 1). Although Planescape has not been confirmed, it does sit with these settings that often do have a combination of larger than life urban locales (i.e., Sharn, Ravnica, Sigil) and faction/guild politics.

That’s interesting, because WotC have stated that they’re only interested in publishing settings that have a distinct feel. If Ravnica feels like Eberron why would they update Eberron. Perhaps Ravnica will include the mechanical updates needed to run Eberron in 5e and they kill two birds with one stone? (Eberron content, both official and otherwise, being available on DMs Guild...)

I have. They could be going with "using this material with Planescape/Eberron" sideboxes, and digitally republishing old Planescape and Eberron source material.

It occurred to me that the crossover may also be going the other way, with an Eberron expansion for MotG.

Remove ads

Remove ads