Re: Posting of WotC Contest Submissions

Status
Not open for further replies.

teitan

Legend
COntest smontest

I hate to point out that this is NOT a contest, nowhere has WOTC called it a contest. Job opps are not based on contests in most cases if the company sponsoring is at all serious about it. To call it a contest is an insult to the settings purchased and implemented.

Jason

Yuan-Ti

First Post
Re: COntest smontest

teitan said:
I hate to point out that this is NOT a contest, nowhere has WOTC called it a contest. Job opps are not based on contests in most cases if the company sponsoring is at all serious about it. To call it a contest is an insult to the settings purchased and implemented.
Jason

You are SO right. We should call it a lottery. That's a better word for it.

Aaron L

Hero
So those that entered aren't contesting with each other over who has a better idea? There is no competition involved? I've read all these people say it isn't a contest. Well, why isn't it a contest.

trix

First Post
Aaron L said:
So those that entered aren't contesting with each other over who has a better idea? There is no competition involved? I've read all these people say it isn't a contest. Well, why isn't it a contest.

The Settings Search is asmuch a competition and lottery as life is a competition and lottery.

Its not supposed to be percieved as a comp or a lottery, but its nature 'just is'.

Having said that, you're not gambling nor betting for financial gain without having done significant works of art. It did not take seconds to fill in numbers on a card.

[x] has orcs
[x] has elves
[ ] has drow

[x] magic
[ ] psionics

[ ] heroes are the good guys
[x] villians like orcs

(OT: hehe (i'd imagine that if we listed all the possible qualities of a world, we could make a world-generator?))

What each of us produced was a work of art that took 1 to 20 hours of though. You compete as much as an artist competes to sell his works.

We are all trying to sell our proposals. WotC claimed that they are looking to buy the best.

Is a capitalistic free market a lottery or gambling competition? No.

The issue that we're selling works of art makes it significantly different to a competition.

So... what about those competitions where you've got Coke sponsering a 'write a slogan about coke saving the nature' type of jazz. Well, they want a slogan for marketing, and they reward.

The 'settings search' is very close to a competition/lottery, but so is life.

-Tim

Ashtal

Vengeance Bunny
*does her best Foghorn Leghorn impersonation*

Y'all know what Ah meant. Stop being so danged literal, boy!

Intermagus

First Post
Perhaps it is premature to call the solicitation of a setting by WotC for a new setting a "contest."

Perhaps as the numbers narrow in scope would it be called as such. Just my honest opinion.

I know many of my close friends and colleagues have submitted their works, and would personally love seeing them, without jinxing their or my own chances, considering the panel may or may not be seeing these threads of discussion. Heh Heh. :rolleyes:

Painfully

First Post
I believe that the paperwork you had to submit along with the proposal gave WotC the rights to own the 10-page proposal (that's what they are buying and what you are signing to give away to them if they accept it, along with the 100-pager as well).

A one-page campaign proposal is free game for all. Send it to anybody you like and post away. It doesn't violate the contract that you sent in to WotC along with your single-page proposal.

I'm not a lawyer, and I'm working from memory, but do double check the contract you signed if you are genuinely worried.

But, at the same time, I wouldn't offer more than one page worth of info, or go in to the level of detail needed for your 10-page or 100-page proposal. For those of you with campaign websites, I would think you might want to temporarily pull it down, although I find it hard for WotC to say no to a proposal just because you have a website of it.

alsih2o

First Post
in my chosen field (3-d art) this type of "call for entries" goes on regularly...and all are regularly regarded as "contests"

we are contesting one another, no matter how you spell it.

just my 2 cents....good luck to all!

Green Knight

First Post
I believe that the paperwork you had to submit along with the proposal gave WotC the rights to own the 10-page proposal (that's what they are buying and what you are signing to give away to them if they accept it, along with the 100-pager as well).

They're not buying the 10 pager. Only the 100-pager. Only those 3 individuals who make it into the third round will get any cash. $20,000 for the story bible. $10,000 before it, and another $10,000 after you complete it. And whichever 1 out of those 3 who they pick to make a setting out of will get an additional $100,000. You don't get squat for writing a 10-page submission.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads