D&D 5E Reading is fundamental

Warpiglet-7

Cry havoc! And let slip the pigs of war!
So I am a bit humbled.

I was recently in a discussion here on ENWorld talking about the relative merits and weaknesses of 5e.

I noted I though stealth rules were iffy. So I reread them. And honestly they are clearer than I remembered.

Then I was reading about darkvision. And unless I am mistaken, if you are travelling with darkvision alone, you have disadvantage in passive perception. Ouch.

Anyway, happy to learn more. What rules have you been glossing over and misinterpreting?

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin
You should post here if you haven't already:

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
So I am a bit humbled.

I was recently in a discussion here on ENWorld talking about the relative merits and weaknesses of 5e.

I noted I though stealth rules were iffy. So I reread them. And honestly they are clearer than I remembered.

Then I was reading about darkvision. And unless I am mistaken, if you are travelling with darkvision alone, you have disadvantage in passive perception. Ouch.

Anyway, happy to learn more. What rules have you been glossing over and misinterpreting?
Obligatory “no one actually reads the rules” joke.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
So I am a bit humbled.

You have disadvantage on all visual perception checks, passive or active.

Warpiglet-7

I think it's more that people don't remember the finer details of the rules. But in my defense if I had to guess, I dont think I've ever completely read the 5E core rules once, let alone twice.
Well, I know I have glossed over some of dmg.

Going back over phb, I feel a lot better able to dm again.

I admit my typical tact is read, have some beers, play, realize I have anheusers and then reread and correct. I like a strong foundation in raw and rai so we can go double live gonzo at play time and see what is left standing

Spells cast in a round, that's my weakness. Or is it crits? Wait, no, no. It's surprise. Er wait, I ignore that one. Maybe... Sneak attacks? I don't remember, but I'm sure there's at least a few I screw up regularly.

R_J_K75

Legend
I admit my typical tact is read, have some beers, play, realize I have anheusers and then reread and correct.
I used to be like this too. And I've told myself many times over the last few years I'm going to re-read the 5E rules but I haven't. My players are OK with me ad-libbing and looking up rules between sessions to correct what we missed. Keeping the game moving is what matters.

Warpiglet-7

I used to be like this too. And I've told myself many times over the last few years I'm going to re-read the 5E rules but I haven't. My players are OK with me ad-libbing and looking up rules between sessions to correct what we missed. Keeping the game moving is what matters.
Well, in the end nothing kills the fun quite like: “hold on I need to red this.”

I think it’s better to say this how we are doing it now. I will read about it later.

Remove ads