Real World Religions

jdrakeh

Front Range Warlock
This thread always ends badly wherever it is posted. To answer your question, though - I usually approach this specific problem with an Athiestic worldview. That is, no gods actually exist, but the world's populace certainly beleives in different gods and has attributed different natural disasters and/or other naturally occurring events or conditions (death and magic, for example) to them.

Dragongirl said:
DISCLAIMER : I am not making any comments about real life or religions in the real world, this is just a game.

I am trying to come up with an idea of how to handle this premise.
Gods from real world religions suddenly manifesting themselves. My main problem is how to handle the very related religions of Catholic, Orthodox, Islam and Jewish. Should they all be represented by one god?, a related trinity of 3 gods (christian, islam, jewish) or a god for each? I really can't decide what to do. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

What do you want to happen in the game? Pick the premise that has the highest chance of leading towards what you're interested in telling and which your players would enjoy creating with you.

joe b.

jdrakeh

Front Range Warlock
Eternalknight said:
Considering the thread is three years old and Dragongirl no longer actively posts, I don't think your question will be answerd ;)

Hel, you say! I didn't notice that when I replied - thanks for pointing that out. That makes me wonder... why was this thread resurrected? :confused:

Crothian

First Post
jdrakeh said:
Hel, you say! I didn't notice that when I replied - thanks for pointing that out. That makes me wonder... why was this thread resurrected? :confused:

People new to the boards have a habit of finding old threads and replying to them. I don't know why this habits, it just does.

Nifft

Penguin Herder
Crothian said:
People new to the boards have a habit of finding old threads and replying to them. I don't know why this habits, it just does.

Could it be the result of a google search or something? Someone looks for a topic, finds it -- does not see its age -- and replies, thinking it must be alive?

-- N

DonTadow

First Post
Since this is all just fiction anyway, I like the idea of having all three (four?) gods manifest in the image that their worshipers believe he/she should. It seems to be intact with the way you suggest you are going with it. If you begin to think too rationally about it (well this god, may be the same as this god and this god is th same as this god) then you'll defeat your purpose. Techinically there are scholars who theorize that all the gods are really the same god (even with polytheisim) and then you have scholars that believe different gods are different. Plus some theologists would find offense in you saying that the four gods are all the same god.

Well long story short, you want to keep it simple. I'd make all the gods separate and make them aspects of what that particular religion believes. I think it would be a facinating game though and a great premise. I might even go as far to make several of the largest sects of christianity have different gods. Sounds like the start of an interesting campaign.

Remove ads