Real World Religions

ptolemy18

First Post
Dragongirl said:
Thanks for your opinions. Still not sure what to do. The world I am working on now is basically Earth up to a point where something happens to infuse your standard fantasy world critters and magic. Obviously other races I have come to this world I can just have their gods (or an aspect of them) follow these races, but it is what to do with the native humans and their religions is what I am stuck with.

First I wanna say that I love threads like this, I love campaign worlds like that (my current one is based on TESTAMENT), and I hope this thread doesn't go crazy and get deleted. Having said that...

I think the answer to this question basically depends on what you want to do with the campaign world. Obviously if Yahweh/"God"/Allah are the same, that's VERY DIFFERENT from if they're three different deities. It seems like in either case, the true nature would have to be secret, or known to very few people, in order to explain real-world differences of religious opinion.

So basically, you have to decide for yourself what the "Secret True Nature of Existence" is in your campaign. Luckily, it's just a RPG, so you should be able to fiddle with the scriptural/eschatological evidence to support whatever premise you want. ;) Good luck!

Jason

ptolemy18

First Post
Andor said:
As an aside, Why do so few DMs seem to value consistant cosmologies?

I haven't talked to that many other DMs about their campaign worlds, but I *hope* they value 'em. Unless of course they're just running a few disconnected games for fun.

Jason

BelenUmeria said:
I was all ready to welcome Dragongirl back. Then I saw the date. Weird.

Yeah, that's why I responded. Didn't notice the date. I thought we were welcoming a lost ENworlder back to the fold.

oh well..

joe b.

Remove ads